Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Need a new ikitesurf sensor for Shipwreck/Gearhart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 24, 14 1:00 pm    Need a new ikitesurf sensor for Shipwreck/Gearhart Reply with quote

The Clatsop spit and Astoria Airport sensors are no good, I end up going to Manzanita every time since I can't trust them. iKitesurf said they would consider a new sensor if I knew of a spot. It seems with all the houses along that stretch, that someone might know of a spot. I was on BayAreaKiteboarding and they just needed 10 people asking to receive a new iKitesurf sensor at Toll Booth plaza. Let's get one!

Re: IKitesurf.com
Postby ozchrisb » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:29 am

From the Toll Plaza sensor discussion:
http://new.ikitesurf.com/forums/viewtop ... toll+plaza
They say at least 10 people need to want it. Try mike@iwindsurf.com and see what he says.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 24, 14 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

I would even donate $

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Dec 24, 14 5:14 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds awesome! I don't know of a place but I'd chip in as well. Great idea.

buttersmoothcarver

Since 08 Oct 2008
246 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Dec 24, 14 11:43 pm     Reply with quote

I agree Clatsop seems off, I'll support. Also one near Butters would help too. (oh it's blowing 9 mph, perfect). btw, i just use the $3.99 per month app, I like to use it for mtn wind.

Brad Gordon

Thermal Foundation
www.snowkiteadventures.com
text 2063000450

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Dec 26, 14 6:39 am     Reply with quote

I connected iKite with a beachfront homeowner in a prime location, but the homeowner declined once they learned the details of hosting the sensor. Something about tying up their phone line. Don't know if the tech has changed.

Might be more practical to work with NOAA to fix up the Clatsop sensor. I would think a lot more than just kiters value a trustable sensor there.

that_guy_stu

Since 22 Sep 2012
27 Posts

PostMon Dec 29, 14 4:48 pm     Reply with quote

NWKITE crew,

We've long known that a reliable Ft Stevens / Clatsop Spit sensor would be a massive improvement to our marine weather network. A lot of time and energy has been spent looking for a good location.

As Wind Slither mentioned, we have spoken with a couple of home owners to the south (there aren't any homes near Ft Stevens) but nothing worked out. Generally speaking, people envision a small anemometer mounted near the roofline when they think "weather station" and get cold feet when they discover what it actually takes to get reliable data from a large structure (i.e. multi-story house).

Our preferred siting would be an existing USCG nav aid. Plenty of them exist inside the mouth of the Columbia River Bar and none of them exist south of the South Jetty (on top of it would be perfect). Always a chance that I missed a potential location on the maps, so if you see one and would like me to investigate - please email me direct (shill@weatherflow.com).

The same goes for any private homeowner suggestions you may have - we're all ears.

- Stuart

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 31, 14 6:04 pm     Reply with quote

So what exactly is wrong with the Clatsop spit sensor? I've been to lot D and the meter was probably 10mph low on easterlies. With all the fishermen that could get in trouble, it seems the Coast Guard would want a more accurate meter. Is there some kind of petition action that would help?

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Jan 26, 15 7:08 pm     Reply with quote

Clatsop and Cape Disappointment sensors have both been down on iKitesurf for days. Astoria airport showed 15 and it looked fairly steady. The offshore bouy was steady 25 knots and the surf calmed a bit to 7'. Too bad iKitesurf can't get the North coast figured out, I couldve scored a January day over 100 degrees combined.

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostMon Jan 26, 15 9:55 pm     Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:
Clatsop and Cape Disappointment sensors have both been down on iKitesurf for days. Astoria airport showed 15 and it looked fairly steady. The offshore bouy was steady 25 knots and the surf calmed a bit to 7'. Too bad iKitesurf can't get the North coast figured out, I couldve scored a January day over 100 degrees combined.

Yep - today was good. I was at the Shipwreck from about 10:30 to 1:00. I forgot to bring my meter, but I was on my 12. Started out a bit light, but quickly became fine. Then kept building. I had to take off at 1:00 because I had no depower left. Could have put up my 9, but I needed to get back to town. Definitely well above 20 knots by the time I left.

Great wind, sun, warm air, warm-ish water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: