Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

A good source for Ion wetsuits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
USA1169

Since 04 Aug 2010
11 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Dec 22, 14 7:51 pm    A good source for Ion wetsuits Reply with quote

I found a good online store where you can get Ion wetsuit styles that are only available in the EU.

I have been trying for the last two years to replace my patched up Ion Quantum 3/2 short sleeve steamer suit. It turns out that the Ion distributor in the US does not import a lot of the Ion suit styles that are available in the EU. Plenty of EU sites carry the suit I want but their prices are crazy high. This fall I found www.surf-store.com which is based in Slovenia. They have great prices and deep inventory. I was a bit skeptical that the site was a fake given the pricing and the location. But I just got two new Ion suits in the mail, a 2015 Quantum 3/2 Steamer and a 2014 women's version of the same suit for my wife. They sent them out using the Slovenian mail service on 8 December and they arrived here in Hood River ten days later. It did take them a week to get the 2015 suit in from their distributor, which explains their deep online inventory... but they delivered as advertised.

Anyway, if you are looking for Ion suit styles that are not available in the US you might want to look at their online storefront.

Last edited by USA1169 on Wed Aug 10, 16 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

kitenomad

Since 09 Aug 2016
10 Posts

PostTue Aug 09, 16 11:31 pm    Re: A good source for Ion wetsuits Reply with quote

USA1169 wrote:
I found a good online store where you can get Ion wetsuit styles that are only available in the EU.

I have been trying for the last two years to replace my patched up Ion Quantum 3/2 short sleeve steamer suit. It turns out that the Ion distributor in the US does not import a lot of the Ion suit styles that are available in the EU. Plenty of EU sites carry the suit I want but their prices are crazy high. This fall I found www.surf-store.com which is based in Slovenia. They have great prices and deep inventory. I was a bit skeptical that the site was a fake given the pricing and the location. But I just got two new Ion suits in the mail, a 2015 Quantum 3/2 Steamer and a 2014 women's version of the same suit for my wife. They sent them out using the Slovenian mail service on 8 December and they arrived here in Hood River ten days later. And the shipping was FREE! It did take them a week to get the 2015 suit in from their distributor, which explains their deep online inventory... but they delivered as advertised.

Anyway, if you are looking for Ion suit styles that are not available in the US you might want to look at their online storefront.

Hi.

Actually, I am from Slovenia and a bit offended by your comment of location. Smile We are a small country, usually mistaken for Slovakia, but far more different one. We are hardworking and honest nation, and all of us glad of our geographical location..

I lived in the same city as (the capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana) where surf-store.com warehouse is based, and because of the boutiqeness of the country I actually know the guys who run the online page -shop.

Its true, like you have said, they dont keep everything in stock, so some items they reorder from their distributors and that is why it sometimes take a little more time to deliver to end customer.

But, nevertheless, hands down to the owners, who established surf-store in 2010 and been growing ever since. And to grow in such a small market that we have, to become global is quite hard. They really try to be the best online shop for wetsuits, wetsuit accessories, kitesurf and SUP.

Let me just say, that I have written this post not only because I personally know them, but because there really are a bunch of fake sites out there, and this is definatelly not one of them. I mean its not possible to survive or thrive for 6 years If your arent true to your customers.

My few cents about my fellas...
Rgds Cool

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 10, 16 5:18 am     Reply with quote

Support Local!! Go only to The Gorge Surf Shop for your Ion. Bart will treat you right and fill your head with stories and facts about wind sports in the Gorge since time began. He's been here forever.
13 Oak St # A, Hood River, OR 97031

And the prices are competitive.

A part of me feels that this kind of thread should be banned like a "Fight Club" conversation. Comments?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 10, 16 6:30 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Support Local!! Go only to The Gorge Surf Shop for your Ion.
A part of me feels that this kind of thread should be banned like a "Fight Club" conversation. Comments?

Feel free to express your opinion but don't tell me what to do or decide for me what is best.
Not everyone lives in the gorge.....

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 6:42 am     Reply with quote

I've shopped at that exact online store looking for Ion wetsuits. I've purchased 2. They have various ages of inventory so it's nice to be able to find older models of suits beloved.

Good peeps and responsive.

USA1169

Since 04 Aug 2010
11 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 10, 16 6:47 am     Reply with quote

Definitely support local and buy at the Surf Shop. That is where I have gotten all my Ion suits, vests and other stuff for years. The only reason I went to the EU for a suit is the distributor doesn't import the long-leg, short sleeve suits in smooth rubber skin... only with fabric skin which holds water and evaporates in the wind sucking heat.

My comment about being skeptical of the web site had nothing to do with Slovenia in particular. There are a lot of fake sites offering impossibly low prices, and a site from a country far away in a different language makes it harder to verify authenticity. It is virtually impossible to take any recourse, I don't have a buddy in Slovenia I can call to ask if he knows the shop and the people that run it. There are also very real concerns about the cost of shipping and import. But now we do have someone that knows the shop and the folks that own it, thanks for confirming they are a stand up operation.

Slovenia is a great place to visit. We rode bikes through sections of it a couple of times. Beautiful country, and the locals were awesome. I keep looking at the coast on that side of the Adriatic and think that there must be some great kiting there. Anyone have any beta on good sites?

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostWed Aug 10, 16 10:21 am    Re: A good source for Ion wetsuits Reply with quote

USA1169 wrote:
I have been trying for the last two years to replace my patched up Ion Quantum 3/2 short sleeve steamer suit. It turns out that the Ion distributor in the US does not import a lot of the Ion suit styles that are available in the EU.

I was recently in the market for a new 3/2 wetsuit and wanted to try an Ion Onyx. I quickly found out that in the US "supporting local" was not an option for Ion wetsuits.
Out of every Ion dealer I contacted (CA, OR, WA), not one stocked the Onyx model that I was looking for, only the entry level Element and most didn't even stock 3/2 suits, only 4/3 and warmer. A few shops had the top end Strike, but still no Onyx. I finally gave up on Ion wetsuits and focused on other brands.
Surf-store.com sketched me out since they're overseas. I don't trust our delivery system here in the US to confidently order from them. Glad it worked out for you!

USA1169

Since 04 Aug 2010
11 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 10, 16 10:34 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Surf-store.com sketched me out since they're overseas. I don't trust our delivery system here in the US to confidently order from them.

I actually corresponded with the owner of the shop before ordering. He clearly knew the Ion line, old styles and new ones, well so I gained some confidence that it was not a scam. They shipped as soon as the new suit I ordered came in from Ion. And they send stuff first class mail with their postal service. Well packaged and professionally labeled with all the import duties paid. The postman delivered it to my door. I would be confident ordering from them again.

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostWed Aug 10, 16 10:47 am     Reply with quote

USA1169 wrote:
Well packaged and professionally labeled with all the import duties paid.

How much did you pay on top (import duties, taxes, etc) to get it into the US? I was worried that I'd be paying quite a bit extra on stupid import fees and still running the risk of never seeing it. I've already been down this path before, so my confidence is lost.

USA1169

Since 04 Aug 2010
11 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 10, 16 11:03 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
How much did you pay on top (import duties, taxes, etc) to get it into the US?

Correction... I just looked at the old e-mail and invoice. It wasn't free. It was $48.99 Euro for shipping and import duties. That was for two wetsuits, both 3/2 short sleeve steamers.

Here is the owner's e-mail dule@surf-store.com and this is their address:

Dušan Matičič | Manager | Surf Store Europe
Amodor d.o.o. | Gortanova 21, 1000 Ljubljana, EU Slovenia

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostWed Aug 10, 16 8:31 pm    . Reply with quote

Last edited by chrissmack on Wed Aug 10, 16 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostWed Aug 10, 16 8:32 pm    Re: A good source for Ion wetsuits Reply with quote

kitenomad wrote:

Actually, I am from Slovenia and a bit offended by your comment of location. Smile We are a small country, usually mistaken for Slovakia, but far more different one. We are hardworking and honest nation, and all of us glad of our geographical location..

we know our world geography. don't try and confuse us....

The World to Americans.gif 

kitenomad

Since 09 Aug 2016
10 Posts

PostWed Aug 10, 16 11:11 pm     Reply with quote

USA1169 wrote:
Definitely support local and buy at the Surf Shop. That is where I have gotten all my Ion suits, vests and other stuff for years. The only reason I went to the EU for a suit is the distributor doesn't import the long-leg, short sleeve suits in smooth rubber skin... only with fabric skin which holds water and evaporates in the wind sucking heat.

My comment about being skeptical of the web site had nothing to do with Slovenia in particular. There are a lot of fake sites offering impossibly low prices, and a site from a country far away in a different language makes it harder to verify authenticity. It is virtually impossible to take any recourse, I don't have a buddy in Slovenia I can call to ask if he knows the shop and the people that run it. There are also very real concerns about the cost of shipping and import. But now we do have someone that knows the shop and the folks that own it, thanks for confirming they are a stand up operation.

Slovenia is a great place to visit. We rode bikes through sections of it a couple of times. Beautiful country, and the locals were awesome. I keep looking at the coast on that side of the Adriatic and think that there must be some great kiting there. Anyone have any beta on good sites?

Thats better. Very Happy

Yes, here is good kiting in june, july and half of august. I'd say the best statistic and still preseasson is secodn half of june until mid of July. Becasue of the difference in temperatures of sea and land there is a stable wind blowing almost everyday from 2pm till the evening. It is called maestral.

There are also other winds you can kite, but you need to be local to catch it.

there are spots all over especially in neighbouring Croatia. Ill name a few: Valley of the river Neretva, Pelješac - Viganj, Bol Brač, Lošinj, Pula etc.

This all a few hours drive with a car. And you probably know the beaches in adriatic are fantastic with crystal clear 25 degres water ..

kitenomad

Since 09 Aug 2016
10 Posts

PostWed Aug 10, 16 11:16 pm     Reply with quote

USA1169 wrote:
Quote:
How much did you pay on top (import duties, taxes, etc) to get it into the US?

Correction... I just looked at the old e-mail and invoice. It wasn't free. It was $48.99 Euro for shipping and import duties. That was for two wetsuits, both 3/2 short sleeve steamers.

Here is the owner's e-mail dule@surf-store.com and this is their address:

Dušan Matičič | Manager | Surf Store Europe
Amodor d.o.o. | Gortanova 21, 1000 Ljubljana, EU Slovenia

This is also incorrect:

Dušan WAS a member of their team, not owner. He was an employee a year or two back.

If you need owner's email address its greg@surf-store.com or gregor@surf-store.com (try both, one of them is correct I can't remember which one Smile ). He can assist you with anything.

kitenomad

Since 09 Aug 2016
10 Posts

PostWed Aug 10, 16 11:20 pm    Re: A good source for Ion wetsuits Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:
kitenomad wrote:

we know our world geography. don't try and confuse us....

Haahah LOL. Laughing

The truth is, its sad that US is often presented like so in the EU among people. i've been to NY, DC, Philly and never got the impression of undereducated folks. Just kind people with exceptional views on how business works. I loved it there. Can't wait to return but this time I want to do some kiting there.

Rgds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: