Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

any experience in Molokai?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ronp

Since 05 Jul 2007
79 Posts
west linn

PostWed Dec 17, 14 10:32 pm    any experience in Molokai? Reply with quote

I headed to Molokai, HI next week but can't find any current info on kiteboarding there. Anyone have any experience? I don't want to haul my gear but couldn't find any type of kite rental place. thanks.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSat Dec 20, 14 7:19 pm    Kite on Molokai Reply with quote

No rental gear on Molokai.

The people who live there are very protective of their island. They deserve to be treated with respect.

One safe way to kite there and show respect and good kine malama, would be to find Walter Naki from Molokai Action Adventures and hire him for a day as your guide.

If you are serious, that would be the best way to go.

If you do meet him, he likes Bud Lite in cans. Cold. Give him a 30 pack the morning.

Spending a day with Walter may be one of the coolest things on the planet that you can do.

dd676

Since 12 Jun 2016
7 Posts
Portland, OR
Kook

PostSat Nov 05, 16 4:30 pm     Reply with quote

Old thread, but I'm heading to Molokai end of March-April. Any follow-up or tips? Suggestions on kite sizes and wind that time of year?

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostSun Nov 06, 16 9:16 am     Reply with quote

Tho a year old, it has timeless wisdom; make sure to read between the lines of "1surfer" post.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 07, 16 3:27 pm    Molokai Reply with quote

You can also try Claire at Molokai Outdoors and she would be glad to help you. Please do your DD and follow peoples suggestions. One person kiting in the wrong spot could ruin it for everyone. In the old Hawaiian ways, the families own, or are responsible for the land and sea from the top of the mountain to the reef in each drainage. Some are cool with kiting in front of their land, some are not. There are very specific places where kiting is perfectly OK. Other places, not so much. Keep your eye out for people fishing from shore as they are hard to see from the water. Also, give boats and people fishing from small boats at least 1/4 mile of space, more is better. Give the locals the right of way no matter what.

It is a beautiful place and the locals are just trying to protect one of the last places on earth that is true Aloha. I totally agree with them on that point.

If you are nice, they will welcome you.

All they are asking for is respect.

Seems fair to me ...

dd676

Since 12 Jun 2016
7 Posts
Portland, OR
Kook

PostMon Nov 07, 16 7:04 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! It sounds like an awesome, idyllic place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: