Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snowkiting for dummies
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 10, 14 10:39 am    Snowkiting for dummies Reply with quote

After exclusively water kiting the last 6 years, I'm branching out rather than waiting till spring for my next fix. I'm bringing the family to Idaho early next year to try out the snowkite thing. We are all skiers and proficient water kiters. Can anyone recommend a good instructional snowkiting video for purchase? Or solid snowkite instructors based out of Fairfield to get us going? Any info you can send my way would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Nov 10, 14 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

First....you're going to love snowkiting but it's hard to score so traveling is a must.

Second, contact Brad Gordon for insight. (buttersmoothcarver here on nwkite) If your clan is already proficient the transition is pretty simple and you'll quickly notice there is minimal drag with your own personal chair lift. Total rush as it's different and floaty.

Last. another very cool Idaho rider that is local and always scores, when not in MX, is idahor8rfan

Hoping to also hit Fairfield this winter with a group.

Good luck Caps!

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 10, 14 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

I second contacting Brad, I went on one of his guided Idaho trips a few years ago and it was a blast.

Last year didn't work out that great, hopefully this year will be better.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 10, 14 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

A few things to consider: 1) Definitely get some local knowledge to avoid the dangers of avalanche or over exposure. 2) Remember that in order for it to be a worthwhile trip for the whole family that a good snowkiting day requires BOTH wind AND snow. Not just wind. Being yanked around on a 7m on boilerplate is almost as sucky as standing in two feet of pow under blue sky with no wind. 3) Bring lots of layers to insure being comfortable. The transition from water to snow should be seamless for you guys considering your background.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Nov 10, 14 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

The actual snow kiting part of it will be easy for you with your kiting and skiing experience. The tricky part is nailing the forecast and conditions as mentioned above. You also should talk to locals about the hazards of a certain spot. With snowkiting - you are not limited by the banks of a river or a mile or two of shoreline. If there is wind - you can literally go for miles in any direction. So you need to find out where not to go. You also might need a primer on how hills, valleys, and flats will affect the wind. Getting some advice from the locals can keep you from getting stuck miles away from your starting point. A guided tour is your safest bet if you are going to take the time to make a trip. A guide can increase your odds of being in the right place at the right time for the wind. They can also make sure to point you to the right spots for the best conditions. The stars really need to align to get perfect wind and perfect snow.

shane s

Since 19 Jun 2013
11 Posts
Hood

PostMon Nov 10, 14 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

I know a lot of snow kiters use foil kites. Will most inflatable kites work on the snow too. Is there any particular inflatables or features on inflatable kites that will help them work well on the snow. For example foil kites are very light would a super light strutless kite (ie Naish Trip, or LF solo) work well on the snow too.

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostMon Nov 10, 14 4:48 pm     Reply with quote

Snowkiting is often done with bigger kites, so bring your light wind setup.
Relaunching is different in snowkiting and requires hot launching, as the kite won't easily work up to the edge of the window across the snow. Hot launching can be a bit unnerving to novices. Point your skis or board downwind, and be ready to rip so you don't do a face plant.
In lighter wind, you'll need to reverse hot launch (pull on steering lines hard to get kite to rise with leading edge facing down, then pull harder on one line so the kite turns to go up).
Going upwind is easier than in water, as you can set a sharper edge.
Going uphill usually requires continuous loops, and that's good practice for looping.
Have fun!

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostMon Nov 10, 14 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

Lots of great advice so far! Use your tube kites cause that is what you know. Learning how to leave your lines attached is HUGE! Really sucks to walk your lines out in deep snow and cold. Knowing how to loop your kite helps with keeping kite up in lulls or riding through wind shadows. We had some "pro" Kiters visit us that spent half there time trying to clear their lines and getting stuck in light wind because they couldn't keep kite up. Snowkiting is a blast but can be humbling. If idaho doesn't work this year then visit us in Jackson! We can show you a good time! Good luck and enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/m/92154883

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostMon Nov 10, 14 6:27 pm     Reply with quote

shane s wrote:
I know a lot of snow kiters use foil kites. Will most inflatable kites work on the snow too. Is there any particular inflatables or features on inflatable kites that will help them work well on the snow. For example foil kites are very light would a super light strutless kite (ie Naish Trip, or LF solo) work well on the snow too.

Traveling with a pump can be a pain and foil kites are about half the weight and pack to half the size of an equivalent LEI kite. The land foil kites fly in a sniff of wind.

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostMon Nov 10, 14 7:15 pm     Reply with quote

Dwayne,Have you ever tried to relaunch a foil in a sniff of wind? Land your tube kite on the struts in a lull and you are ready to go in the next puff. A tube kite will fly circles around foils. I've been screwed a few times riding a foil that I had to land because of swirly wind making things dangerous. My buddy on his tube kite was still riding. I still ride foils and like them but not when it gets hectic. Stick with what you are used too!

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostMon Nov 10, 14 7:20 pm     Reply with quote

waynepjh wrote:
Dwayne,Have you ever tried to relaunch a foil in a sniff of wind? Land your tube kite on the struts in a lull and you are ready to go in the next puff. A tube kite will fly circles around foils. I've been screwed a few times riding a foil that I had to land because of swirly wind making things dangerous. My buddy on his tube kite was still riding. I still ride foils and like them but not when it gets hectic. Stick with what you are used too!

Thanks for the feedback. Fell in love with foils but understand they can be a handful in gusty conditions. I use them in light conditions.

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostMon Nov 10, 14 7:28 pm     Reply with quote

Seems like the general quality of the wind where you ride had a huge influence on kite selection. The wind in idaho is usually good and steady. Let's hope we get some good snow down low this year!

buttersmoothcarver

Since 08 Oct 2008
246 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Nov 10, 14 8:09 pm    Re: Snowkiting for dummies Reply with quote

caps wrote:
After exclusively water kiting the last 6 years, I'm branching out rather than waiting till spring for my next fix. I'm bringing the family to Idaho early next year to try out the snowkite thing. We are all skiers and proficient water kiters. Can anyone recommend a good instructional snowkiting video for purchase? Or solid snowkite instructors based out of Fairfield to get us going? Any info you can send my way would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Caps, Very cool/smart idea to get the family into a sport like snowkiting. Since you've already invested money into their kite and ski gear. I can only imagine how much it costs to buy lift tickets for a family. Also it's a great "everyone can have fun" kinda day. But use good judge if winds are over 15 mph. I've seen kids get plucked off hillsides unstable wind, since kiting on terrain adds unfilmilar lift. So start flat and work into more challenging terrain. Please feel free to call me or PM with further questions, also there is more info at www.snowkitingidaho.com

Brad Gordon

Thermal Foundation
www.snowkiteadventures.com
text 2063000450

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Nov 11, 14 11:19 am     Reply with quote

Great feedback everyone. I'll definitely be giving Brad a call to see if he can dial us in. Hope there's wind AND snow, especially since we're heading over in early Jan. I'll admit, I love the chase!

Thanks all!

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostWed Nov 12, 14 9:43 am     Reply with quote

Nice have fun! I learned on the snow so it made the transition to water pretty easy. Like others have said the transition to snow from water should be even easier.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostWed Nov 12, 14 12:18 pm    Sandbar Snowkite Thursday? Reply with quote

I'm looking at the giant Hood River sandbar, Temira's forecast for 6-10" of snow in town tomorrow, and the strong East winds which are supposed to continue through the weekend.

Hopefully we won't get a freezing rain crust, but we could get a rare snowkite session right here in Hood River.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Nov 12, 14 3:05 pm    Re: Sandbar Snowkite Thursday? Reply with quote

Seen it happen several times over the years... But never with an east wind.

hilton wrote:
I'm looking at the giant Hood River sandbar, Temira's forecast for 6-10" of snow in town tomorrow, and the strong East winds which are supposed to continue through the weekend.

Hopefully we won't get a freezing rain crust, but we could get a rare snowkite session right here in Hood River.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: