Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OR Razor light wind ability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
rhorton1

Since 25 Oct 2012
36 Posts
SoCal

PostThu Oct 30, 14 9:44 am    OR Razor light wind ability Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm looking to add a 12m kite to my quiver. I currently have 7m and 9.5m OR Prodigy (generation 1) kites. I ride the 9.5 down to about 20mph of wind. The Prodigy is a great kite, but I've read that the Razor has awesome (better than the Prodigy?) low-end. Any opinions about how the kite would behave in mid-teens to low-20s wind? And seeing as I have 2 Ocean Rodeo kites... I'd like to stick with them for my next purchase.

A little about me... 200 lb relative beginner with 1-year kiting under my belt. Basically mowing the lawn right now and pretty happy with that. Just looking to get out at Reeder beach this coming summer. Right now, I'm not considering a giant light-wind specific kite... would like to see how low I can go with a 12m. I'd be riding my big twin-tip, and maybe even trying a surfboard.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 30, 14 10:21 am     Reply with quote

I don't think a 12 m Razor is what you are looking for as I don't think it has that good of low end especially for your size and since you have a 9.5 already.

I posted some information on the Ocean Rodeo forum that I think you will find useful, here's the gist of what I posted.

I recently picked up a 2nd Gen 9.5 Prodigy and have hardly ridden my 12 razor; I have 18 sessions on the 9.5 since I picked it up in September.

In conditions where I would need my 12 M razor I am nicely powered on the 9.5. With the group I typically ride with I need at least 2 or 3 meters more kite (razor) in the same conditions; I am a bigger guy at 205 lbs. For example buddy would be on a 10 M NRG I would need my 12 M razor. Now I am on my 9.5 when they are on 10’s; however I can also be on my 9.5 even when they are on 7’s.

I have even been on my 9.5 and surf when my buddy (160 lbs) was on his 12 M core and twin. The 9.5 has great range while I don't think the 12 M razor has as good lower range.

I would go with a 12 m Prodigy unless you are wanting to start doing loops. I like my razors for freestyle and boosting but I like the prodigys for surf/swell. In lighter winds I prefer to fly my 9.5 more than my 12 razor as it's a bit quicker.

John

drtaamc

Since 24 Jul 2008
118 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Oct 30, 14 1:11 pm    Love My Razors Reply with quote

Hey, I'm just shy of 200 lbs and have a Quiver of Razors 6-12. The 12 has good range. I use it when the wind is averaging in the high teens. It is very fast turning, much faster than most "light wind" kites I've flown of similar size. My feeling is that there's two ways to you get power from a kite. One is just the pull of the kite, the other is power generated by the speed of the kite. That's also why you don't always lose a lot of power dropping to a smaller kite. What you lose in size and pull you make up for in speed of flying/turning. That said, I agree with the above post in that you'd probably be slightly better off with a 12m Prodigy, just for consistency, however if you decide to go with a Razor, I have a very good condition 2012 12m that I'm selling. Search the classifieds here. I have a 2012 and 2013 and don't need both.

rhorton1

Since 25 Oct 2012
36 Posts
SoCal

PostFri Oct 31, 14 7:04 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good info... I think I'll start pinching pennies and get myself another Prodigy.

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 31, 14 8:13 am     Reply with quote

rhorton1 wrote:
I think I'll start pinching pennies and get myself another Prodigy.

Good call. I'm the guy with the NRG that John refers to, and yes, he's been loving the 9.5 Prodigy which seems to have an infinite wind range (though I believe he may have found the upper limit not long ago at Three Mile! Wink ). But yeah, John's on that 9.5 when we are 10s, & 12s, and then still on it when we're on 7s, which has led to the nickname "magic kite". Huge wind range and friendly to fly is definitely and accurate description of the Prodigy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: