Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

GoPro4, is it worth it?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Dec 17, 14 8:07 am     Reply with quote

I may have mis-under stood what jerp was saying (sorry).

I think that for the everyday user the 3 series are the way to go for out of the box usage and ease on the pocket book. They shoot great with either auto or manual white balance and post production is sharp depending on your edit-ware and protune.

www.freeridekiting.com

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Dec 17, 14 9:59 am     Reply with quote

ErraticAKn wrote:
I may have mis-under stood what jerp was saying (sorry).

I think that for the everyday user the 3 series are the way to go for out of the box usage and ease on the pocket book. They shoot great with either auto or manual white balance and post production is sharp depending on your edit-ware and protune.

Thanks .... I may stick to the 3 series and save the cash.

groundclown

Since 12 May 2007
135 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostMon Dec 22, 14 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

I was looking at a camera at Doug's sports a while back. I can not remember the name. nice. The Ad board says it is far superior to the hero4. I have a H3 and is okay. Much better than the h1or 2. Wish I had waited a week for the 3+... Anyone know what camera that is and if it is as good as it says? It was slightly cheaper...

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostSun Dec 28, 14 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

I have the H3 black and just got the H3+ black

H3+ black has noticeably better video quality. I have not tried the photos mode yet. I got the 3+ black because it has a sharper lens better battery life and more pro tune features including an ISO lock that is huge for tuning out vibrations on drones. This is all when compared to the 3 black. It seems to me like the biggest benefit of the 4 black over the 3+ black was the screen and 4k. I don't care about either so the 3+ black was the camera for me.

Fyi the 3+ batteries are compatible with the 3 and give a little boost in battery life. The 4 uses a different battery which is actually smaller so I would expect to see a slight reduction in battery life from the 3+ to 4

Lastly shooting in max quality modes like what the black models offer will eat battery life the fastest which makes the cheaper models more appealing for long sessions

Fyi this was shot with the hero 3+ black http://youtu.be/KfBx5VlRb9s

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1256 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 01, 15 10:25 pm     Reply with quote

Some of the features have me going for the 4 silver, such as the screen, better remote, better battery life, and bookmarking spots of interest for easy editing.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jan 06, 15 7:19 pm     Reply with quote

C Johnson wrote:
I have the H3 black and just got the H3+ black

H3+ black has noticeably better video quality. I have not tried the photos mode yet. I got the 3+ black because it has a sharper lens better battery life and more pro tune features including an ISO lock that is huge for tuning out vibrations on drones. This is all when compared to the 3 black. It seems to me like the biggest benefit of the 4 black over the 3+ black was the screen and 4k. I don't care about either so the 3+ black was the camera for me.

Fyi the 3+ batteries are compatible with the 3 and give a little boost in battery life. The 4 uses a different battery which is actually smaller so I would expect to see a slight reduction in battery life from the 3+ to 4

Lastly shooting in max quality modes like what the black models offer will eat battery life the fastest which makes the cheaper models more appealing for long sessions

Fyi this was shot with the hero 3+ black http://youtu.be/KfBx5VlRb9s

I only see the gp3+ silver on the gopro website. Are they not making the black version anymore or are they one in the same?

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostFri Jan 09, 15 8:05 am     Reply with quote

the 3+ silver and black are different.

You won't see the 3+ black on gopro's website anymore because they are pushing the hero 4 line now.

I'm not sure if Costco still has them in stock but they did have the best deal on the 3+ black over Christmas. If Costco is out then Amazon.com seems to be the next best deal.

Unless you absolutely have to have an LCD screen on the camera I think the 3+ black is a far better choice for the money than the 4 silver.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jan 09, 15 8:43 am     Reply with quote

C Johnson wrote:
the 3+ silver and black are different.

You won't see the 3+ black on gopro's website anymore because they are pushing the hero 4 line now.

I'm not sure if Costco still has them in stock but they did have the best deal on the 3+ black over Christmas. If Costco is out then Amazon.com seems to be the next best deal.

Unless you absolutely have to have an LCD screen on the camera I think the 3+ black is a far better choice for the money than the 4 silver.
thank you, you just saved from making a bad purchase on the gp3 silver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: