Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

GoPro4, is it worth it?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
muthergoose

Since 14 Oct 2013
169 Posts
East Couve
Stoked

PostThu Oct 30, 14 5:20 am    GoPro4, is it worth it? Reply with quote

As far as I can tell the only significant upgrade is the video resolution, but you have to pay $200 more than the black 3 since the remote isnt included with the 4. Anyone use the 4 yet? Is the upgrade to resolution and fps that noticable to an average user, worth a $200 increase?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Oct 30, 14 7:16 am     Reply with quote

NYTimes says GoPro 4 is overkill for most people:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/technology/personaltech/gopro-cameras-face-simpler-competition.html?_r=0

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostThu Oct 30, 14 8:21 am     Reply with quote

The most important upgrades from the three to the four are awesome! Who doesn't want better resolution or fps? You want the GoPro 4!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Oct 30, 14 8:50 am     Reply with quote

waynepjh wrote:
The most important upgrades from the three to the four are awesome! Who doesn't want better resolution or fps? You want the GoPro 4!

Ha! This coming from a guy who is kicking out some of the most outrageous cutting edge footage out there! Smile

I haven't researched the 4 but increase res and FPS opens up a lot of possibilities. Just check this out... Thumb's Up

http://www.tracksmag.com/chris-bryan-surfing-1000-frames-per-second/

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Oct 30, 14 10:52 am     Reply with quote

Shooting 4K at 30 fps seemed like a compelling reason to upgrade - was psyched to test it out Saturday at the coast with the 50kts and 27ft swell but the trees exploding in my neighborhood seemed to be some kind of message from God that I might just want to watch college football instead...

Also the WiFi remote (not included boo) is improved

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostThu Oct 30, 14 11:46 am     Reply with quote

if you're not sure if its worth it then its probably not worth it (for you)

Also consider the cost of editing 4K is pricey.

Also also consider that for most youtube and vimeo users you can only post 1080p or in some cases 2.7k. some 4k content is out there but its very limited. (this will slowly change)

Factor in purchasing a cutting edge $1000+ video editing computer if you intend to do any sort of semi-serious 4K editing.

The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostThu Oct 30, 14 3:14 pm    The price is high: Reply with quote

Guys loose gopros like spiting gum:
Man get me one and a 64" sony oled;
can you imagine good film; editing ; music
all in 4k; Its got to be insane:
and bill gates better be your sponsor:
I know a whole group of people that will film for you; Hollywood style:
Really important people, I joke with them about how much the jet skis tricked out: 4k red cams with huge lens:
they just laugh the price is so high you would not believe 40k

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 31, 14 10:42 am     Reply with quote

Our approach in working with customers coming into 2nd Wind asking about the new
Hero4 cameras has been this:

Hero4 Silver - This is comparably a big improvement up from the Hero3+Black in picture/video quality, low light settings, screen grab capabilities, faster on/off capability (saving battery life) and all with the now built in touch screen/viewfinder.
This is basically the 'go to' camera for most all people wanting a 'GoPro' camera for 'GoPro' needs/intentions.

Hero4 Black - This camera is worth every bit of the $500 price tag that it now carries and it will take the most bad-assed photos you can imagine, BUT, some of the questions one needs to ask one's self is :
- Will you use this camera to it's fullest capabilities?
- Do you have a computer with the capacity for editing/downloading this high of quality video/photos?
- Do you already have a DSLR camera that you are familiar with and use to it's at least basic capabilities?

www.Purestokesports.com

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Nov 01, 14 10:23 am     Reply with quote

For most of us, I think the Hero 3 Black WITH remote control was a great deal. I think it sucks that if you upgrade to 4, you can't use your 3 RC. As the minnow said, I dropped my 3 in the river this summer and it was actually a relief.....no more technology to fiddle with in my samctuary, no more dissapointing fish eye footage, no more long editing times at the computer. I got way better shots in 15 seconds for $12 from Grant Myrdal (props). I'm done with Go Pro.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostSat Nov 08, 14 5:35 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
Hero4 Silver - This is comparably a big improvement up from the Hero3+Black in picture/video quality, low light settings, screen grab capabilities, faster on/off capability (saving battery life) and all with the now built in touch screen/viewfinder.
This is basically the 'go to' camera for most all people wanting a 'GoPro' camera for 'GoPro' needs/intentions.

How is the 4Silver an improvement over the 3+ Black? I thought it was basically the same functionality but with the touchscreen?
Sounds like I'm wrong, just checking...

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Dec 16, 14 7:20 am     Reply with quote

so, whats the prognosis on the gopro4?

thinking of upgrading my hero2

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Dec 16, 14 8:09 am     Reply with quote

The Hero 4 is a great camera and worth the money if you are going to use all the higher end "pro-sumer" functions and abilities.

On some of the "Reality TV" shows we do use the 4s because we got a deal on them for being sponsors but the settings we use to record and match up in post production to our hand held HD cameras are the same as on the 3 and 3+ series cameras.

If you have the money and the interest then go for it - if you are going to render edits for your home collection and Vimeo/Youtube - use the money saved on something else.

www.freeridekiting.com

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Dec 16, 14 11:20 am     Reply with quote

ErraticAKn wrote:
The Hero 4 is a great camera and worth the money if you are going to use all the higher end "pro-sumer" functions and abilities.

On some of the "Reality TV" shows we do use the 4s because we got a deal on them for being sponsors but the settings we use to record and match up in post production to our hand held HD cameras are the same as on the 3 and 3+ series cameras.

If you have the money and the interest then go for it - if you are going to render edits for your home collection and Vimeo/Youtube - use the money saved on something else.

Thanks for the reply

Put it this way, I know I am more limited by skill than the equipment. I just want the gopro4 to be noticeably better than the Hero2 straight out of the box. I have no interest in 4K as I have nothing to store, process or view it on. I just want 1080 at the higher frame rate.

Its like everything in life, you get out what you put into to. I just want this toy to be better than the previous toy with only a financial investment 

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Dec 16, 14 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

Then the 4 is for you - right out of the box not so much, but with a few config changes you will be golden and looking good!

www.freeridekiting.com

muthergoose

Since 14 Oct 2013
169 Posts
East Couve
Stoked

PostWed Dec 17, 14 5:22 am     Reply with quote

wouldnt a gp3 black be better if your not going to use the 4k? I ended up getting the 4, but I cant even see the footage on my computer if i run it in 4k, I guess i need special software? I think im going to end up having to run 720 or 1080 at most.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Dec 17, 14 7:27 am     Reply with quote

muthergoose wrote:
wouldnt a gp3 black be better if your not going to use the 4k? I ended up getting the 4, but I cant even see the footage on my computer if i run it in 4k, I guess i need special software? I think im going to end up having to run 720 or 1080 at most.

Fair point, both the cheaper GP4 and GP3 silver shoot 60 frames at 1080. You only get the 120 on the more expensive GP4.

So its either drop 500 or 300 dollars. Which GP4 did you end up getting?

muthergoose

Since 14 Oct 2013
169 Posts
East Couve
Stoked

PostWed Dec 17, 14 7:33 am     Reply with quote

I went with the black...probably a mistake in hindsight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: