Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting on Arteficial Knees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
OLD_FART

Since 24 Oct 2014
3 Posts
WA
Kook

PostSat Oct 25, 14 9:26 am    Kiting on Arteficial Knees Reply with quote

I am hoping to get some testimonials on the challenges etc. for kitting on an artificial knee.
My 60 year old knee is just about ready to call it quits (bone on bone). Do I put up with the swelling and pain or do I go to the shop and buy a new one?

Any input would be muy appreciated.

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Oct 25, 14 10:28 am     Reply with quote

I'd recommend checking out the store "Brace Yourself" if you're in the Portland area: http://www.braceyourselfportland.com/ They have everything from fancy to simple, and the guy seems to know his stuff. I bought a very simple knee brace that helps a lot when I need it (more for when I'm working, not kiting).

I know there's a bunch of riders who swear by the Ocean Rodeo Makos for "eating chop" and making the ride easier on the knees. Dave at Windance can set you up with a demo of one of those.

In my first season of kiting, I found there were days where my knees really took a pounding, and I started thinking about high end knee braces and wondering if maybe I should check out a "softer ride" board. But somewhere in my second season I changed my riding style. I realized I was just picking a tack and sticking with it, regardless of chop direction or intensity (probably a bad habit from my windsurfing days). I started "picking a line" instead... much like mountain biking where you're picking a route through the bumps. So instead of riding strictly in a straight line, I would bear off or round up just a tad when needed to smooth things out. I also got a lot better at going upwind and downwind, so most of the time now I'm going upwind at a slower, gentler pace, then coming downwind either riding swell or doing faster broad reaches. I've found that paying attention to the terrain I'm riding over and making little adjustments and course corrections has pretty much eliminated most of my knee issues... that's just what worked for me.

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
146 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Oct 25, 14 12:19 pm    talking knees!!! Reply with quote

Go see Dr. Charlie Petit in The Dalles.Cascade Sports Clinic, We're so lucky to have a guy like him here. He came out of DR.Steadman's clinic in Vail, where Steady worked on me 15 years ago as a Ski Team coach. My knee has been bone on bone since 1973, have only 90 degrees of flexion, had night pain, limping all the time,you know the story,(and ya I'm older than you) and I wanted a new knee, He makes great decisions for YOUR personal situation, something he learned from Dr. Steadman, and decided to go with a series of Ortho-Vist injections first and see how it goes. It is now my good knee and I'm ready for the other one to get"juiced". But you need a professional inspection, and you'll get a different opinon from each doctor you see, then you'll be really confused, I've been there. When a Ortho doc works on the US Ski Team he knows his stuff, and if he thinks you need a new one, he's the guy to do it. Good luck.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Oct 25, 14 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

Rumor has it that Petit is leaving TD

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
146 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Oct 25, 14 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

I'd try to see Charlie before he goes for an honest accurate analysis, but Dr. Greg Stanley there is really good too.

OLD_FART

Since 24 Oct 2014
3 Posts
WA
Kook

PostSat Oct 25, 14 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the responses.

What I take from all you is that I am on target.
I ride a Mako...starting on a strapless surfboard next.
I am acutely aware of my tack and jumps
And I have a Don Joy knee brace.

Nothing like pain to inspire change in habits.

The only thing I havent done is get an injection of orthovisc. I have considered it, but now that you gave me some positive feedback I try it (I understand that it is a 50/50 proposition.

However, if there is someone with artificial knees out there I would like to hear from you.

Cheers

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Oct 26, 14 6:37 am     Reply with quote

After riding a strapless surfboard, the next step will be a hydrofoil. Hydrofoil is a natural progression for aging. It's like riding a rigid frame aluminum bike (surfboard) versus a full suspension downhill bike (hydrofoil).

niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostSun Oct 26, 14 7:47 am     Reply with quote

Two new knees three years ago at age 66. I kite over 160 days per year between Mexico and the Gorge on directionals (straped & strapless, hydrofoils next) The doc who replaced both my knees at the same time is a kite, windsurf, cycling junkie who has a part time home here in the Gorge. He understands over achieving aging jocks. He had me kiting 4 months after replacing both knees. Check him out at Rebound Orthopedic , Stephen R. Southerland M.D., FRCSC.

Cool

OLD_FART

Since 24 Oct 2014
3 Posts
WA
Kook

PostMon Oct 27, 14 6:50 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses and pm's.
Ive got a pretty good idea of where to go with this.

Its not the end of the world.

I guess we all just keep charging 'till we cant.

chuckm

Since 22 Aug 2014
4 Posts
Washington
Kook

PostMon Oct 27, 14 9:49 am    Do you mean it isn't the end? Reply with quote

Great info!! After 40 years of playing in the wind, my knee pain/weakness is impacting most everything I do. I began shuffling things around to avoid the problem. Let's keep this posting going to learn from each other. Thank You sooo much... Chuck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: