Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Coast saturday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bdennis

Since 01 Jun 2007
50 Posts

PostThu Oct 23, 14 7:32 pm    Coast saturday Reply with quote

forecast looking good for Saturday! I'm thinking of trying out garibaldi to Manzo, anyone?

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostFri Oct 24, 14 8:06 am     Reply with quote

Maui wasn't enough?-- Are you ready for this! Shocked

Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 9.05.11 AM.png 
   Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 9.01.39 AM.png 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Oct 24, 14 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Might hit it tomorrow

Respect the nehalem inlet at 15' swell - it will be a raging outgoing ebb tide tomorrow afternoon with a larger than normal near new moon exchange

Have seen it set up the full-on recyclotron (best viewed from land...)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Oct 24, 14 10:03 am    WORD! Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
Might hit it tomorrow

Respect the nehalem inlet at 15' swell - it will be a raging outgoing ebb tide tomorrow afternoon with a larger than normal near new moon exchange

WORD!

that_guy_stu

Since 22 Sep 2012
27 Posts

PostFri Oct 24, 14 10:15 am     Reply with quote

Brian - get yourself a dirt bike, it's a much more sane late fall / early winter hobby...

-S

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Oct 25, 14 7:55 am     Reply with quote

It will be very strong SW turning west winds late today. Will probably be challenging and exciting kiting with your smallest kites at central and north coast beaches. See you there!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostSat Oct 25, 14 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

gust to 60. at clatsop. go get it.

bdennis

Since 01 Jun 2007
50 Posts

PostThu Oct 30, 14 2:44 pm    whew! spanking on saturday Reply with quote

I forgot to give the update! It was full Gnar on saturday. Matt Wheeler and I Checked out Garibaldi Jetty which looked killer but it was 50 gusting to 70 at the time. Large swells rolling through too. Things were changing fast so we decided against the long downwinder to Manzanita and went up to NB state park.
Rigged the 6m which seemed right but it was gusty as shit.
Then it went straight on shore which made it really difficult just to get out in the water.
Still, we did the downwinder to manzo. Which actually ended up not being a downwinder at all.
THe water was white everywhere and big waves rolling from multiple directions. There were actually lots of big smooth curvy faces, random and big big. Did I mention gusty as shit and raining? After 1/2 hour I came in for a break... tried to go back out but honestly could not walk upwind to the water, even with matt helping drag me by the harness.
If it wasnt for the onshore wind and gusty rain I would say that was amazing - I mean, the ocean was big and fun and I wanna go back out in that shit!!!

kochease

Since 03 Jul 2008
760 Posts
In Ft. Stevens, OR
Opinionated

PostThu Oct 30, 14 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like crazy crazy kiting!! Be careful in that junk. I was at the ponds with my 7m wind blowing about 35, was getting ready to set up my kite and BAM! instant 60 mph winds!
Picked up my kite and board, plowed my way thru the wind back to my truck and bailed for the warmth of my couch Laughing I could see the trees, leaves and rain blowing sideways and my american flag on my porch was barely hanging on, could hear the swell crashing on the jetty too. Was Good day for me to chill to some tv.

Might brave this weekend, prob sunday.

https://www.air-pirate.com

*CALL: 503-791-7372 *

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostThu Oct 30, 14 6:54 pm     Reply with quote

Definitely was nutty last Saturday! That switch to west was dramatic down here and dropped off quickly. Was exploring the Cali/Oregon border and was itching to hit Point Saint George but the lightning shut it down for us. I think Cape Blanco blew 97 and the port of Port Orford took a few on the head Shocked

http://youtu.be/zb06bl0ptpI

Victory-at-Sea season definitely addictive! and in full swing. Don't bite off the big one!

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Nov 01, 14 7:33 am     Reply with quote

In Newport area last Saturday the wind started out light ESE in the morning. Then, it went psycho ballistic due south winds midday and too extreme to kite until late afternoon around 3 pm it abruptly turned due west and mellowed to a more comfortable 30 knots. I ended up kiting at Agate Beach on my 7m Rally and it was dreamy perfect with butter smooth slicks on the inside with fun whitewater lines and surges moving thru the slicks. Incredibly fast kiting through the slicks would allow for huge backside boosts when the waves moved through. Since it was west wind you could boost jumps on either tack and land back in the same wave that created the ramp. Not sure why some kiters write off west winds at the coastal beaches as substandard or unkiteable, I think they are some of the best that storm winds have to offer. Attached photos are not of last Saturday, but they show what due west winds can be like when it is truely straight onshore.

Last Saturday the near shore buoy was 25'@13sec, thus the only safe and manageable riding was to be had on the inside where the smooth water slicks were setting up similar to what can be seen in the photos.

P4070019.JPG 
   P4070026.JPG 
   P4070030.JPG 
   P4070065.JPG 
   P4070082.JPG 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: