Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Do straps get a bad rap?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Oct 22, 14 10:43 am    Do straps get a bad rap? Reply with quote

I see Windsurfers are now going strapless... is this to look cool for the surfers? I have always believed straps have a place in kiting in certain conditions. But of course most people would rather look good than be good.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Oct 22, 14 11:55 am    Re: Do straps get a bad rap? Reply with quote

Lurk wrote:
I see Windsurfers are now going strapless... is this to look cool for the surfers? I have always believed straps have a place in kiting in certain conditions. But of course most people would rather look good than be good.

Personally I'd rather be good than look good. That said, hats off to those that kite without straps. It's a harder skills set to have and or master. I like my straps when riding in the ocean as I hate being troll bait for the Landlord when I become separated from my board.

Talking about riding a surfboard: Riding with straps on your board is kinda like having sex and using a condom; it's safer, just not as much freedom or feeling which of course equates to the level of enjoyment/fun.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Wed Oct 22, 14 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Oct 22, 14 5:24 pm     Reply with quote

Assuming your question is in the context of wave riding, here's my take....

The idea of competitive wave riding is to get vertical and smack the lip as close to the critical part of the wave as many times as possible for the duration of the wave. Tricks, aerials, ect. all come into play. No doubt this is much easier with straps. Kind of like driving a race car is easier with power brakes and power steering.

But if you go out strapless (and even more wankerish) un-hook, just so you can poop your way down the line for a big poser shot...you suck.

The more I ride strapless, the better I am with straps. Lately, when the surf is big, I throw just a strap on the front...just cause I hate the long separations. But I need this less and less as I get better at keeping the board under my feet.

Mucho respect for the riders who battle the big terrain strapless and ride the waves the way they should be ridden.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostWed Oct 22, 14 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

I have always approached surfing and kiting with the motto of "pick the best tool for the job". Sometimes straps are better for keeping attached to your board when riding in big surf or high winds, and avoiding losing your board with dangerous and long swims through the impact zone, sharks, currents, rocks, other kiters, etc.

Sometimes strapless is better for feeling closer to riding your board with just tactile connection and challenging your skills when jumping and waveriding.

It is all good and none is more cool than the other. The only uncool thing is when someone disses another for their choice of what tool to use.

Rolling Eyes

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 22, 14 8:49 pm     Reply with quote

Someone please tell Robby naish he is not cool
Because he uses straps. Give me a break. Because someone does some things different than I do they are not cool or as good. WTF. Go back to grade school for all you judgemental folks. Just enjoy the water and stop thinking you are better or worse than others because you are different.

Team Kite strap Bully's Unite!!

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
833 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Oct 23, 14 8:06 am     Reply with quote

There is definitely a mentality that riding with straps is not cool, and strapless is the only cool way to ride a surfboard. It's a mob mentality of those trying to fit in with the cool kids, who purport that their way is the only way.

I wish I could say that I have no problem with those riding without straps, and it's cool to do whatever you want. The problem is that many folks riding strapless tend to spend more time off their boards, and dragging back to them. Unfortunately, this tends to happen right in the middle of a lineup, and can screw up waves for the others. It's inconsiderate and selfish to try to ride strapless just so you can try to be cool, and fuck up waves for others.

That, and the fact that most riding strapless judge those who are riding with straps. Not because of any way that it affects them, other than their opinion that they are inferior or less cool than them, but simply because they have straps on their boards.

If you are riding strapless and losing your board and dragging through the point of a wave where others are trying to kite, you are a douchebag. Take it somewhere else until you are proficient enough to not fall off your board in the critical section of the wave. And don't run around thinking you are hot shit without straps. All you are is another douche following the trend.

Where I kite, the majority of kiters in the surf are riding strapless. Most of them very poorly. They feel the pressure to be cool, like that is the thing to do, 'cause they see Patrick Rebstock and others ripping it up strapless, getting accolades for it, and they want that for themselves. Guess what, those guys are pros, and what you don't see is how much they fall trying to do the shit they do. I've kited with those guys in the water, and I can tell you, they are falling ALL THE FUCKING TIME, and many of those times, dragging to their boards, and getting in peoples way. That is cool for those kiting and having to dodge them while they ride a wave. Super cool.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Oct 23, 14 9:48 am     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
Someone please tell Robby naish he is not cool

So Robby was a hero of mine growing up in the WS days...but in one of his team videos, he threatens to fine anyone on the team $1000 for landing blind.

Laughing

OK Rob, so only big floaty dangles with multiple table-tops are cool? Still the man, but why the wake hate?

Laughing

nealm

Since 19 Jul 2012
41 Posts
North Coast/White Salmon

PostThu Oct 23, 14 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

My personal take on it: I started trying strapless riding in the Gorge to make mediocre days more entertaining for myself, and eventually smaller days at the coast. At first it felt like a pain in the ass, but the more I stuck with it the more natural it felt, and I eventually started to realize the benefits. Most obvious is that's it's easier to jibe, I put that hurdle off for a while with straps, committed to one session strapless to get the hang of it, then it was much easier for me to jibe with straps. The other benefit I've found is on the coast where staying up wind can be much more difficult, is that I can move my stance further forward on the board to plane up faster and get upwind easier. Biggest thing for me is that it just feels more natural slashing waves without straps, really nice being able to move your feet around (I surfed long before I started kiting). I really struggled with strap placement when I started kiting, I don't like having too wide of a stance, but I like my back foot over the rear fins for turning on swells. My strapped board is now set up with very loose straps, and the bolts are set wide so I can pivot my feet, still like to go strapped on big days at the coast. Smile

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 24, 14 6:33 am     Reply with quote

Great thread on footstraps, Thank You NWK
My story
2008:
Sandbar, anonymous bystander. "Dude, Ditch the GoJoe that looks so Lame!" Now I'm am much better at body-dragging and haven't lost a board (yet).
2014:
Wonderbar, anonymous bystander. "Dude, Ditch the Footstaps, that looks so Lame!" Now my jibes are rock solid and I'm a happier man.

Still schizophrenic on the board shorts decision.

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
107 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostFri Oct 24, 14 8:13 am     Reply with quote

Dude, ditch the shorts, they look so lame.
Just trying to help.

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Oct 24, 14 8:37 am     Reply with quote

To each his own, but I admire the style of riders who ride strapless and unhooked, preferably at the same time.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpTV4vBMn8k

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 24, 14 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

Funny vid, great comments. My take is there is no use for a back strap except in gnarly pre-hurricane level riding. I have done this a couple times in Hatteras. (Never again.) The straps are essential in that shit to stay with your kite. No one coming if it goes bad.

I like a front strap in smaller chest to head high when I want to rip down the line at full speed and tear up the wave with the power of the kite doing most of the work. Its a great feeling to just massacre a line this way.

Locke

Since 16 May 2012
19 Posts
The State of Jefferson

PostFri Oct 24, 14 10:27 pm     Reply with quote

Some of us learned to surf first. We appreciate, understand, and love the sweetness that is a properly tuned board, with feet placed where they need to be.

We may have taken innumerable beat-downs, respected the ocean and observed as those who rode before us demonstrated what the ocean can give. When it's big and stormy we might kite, or we might go surfing.

Freshwater kiters often lack this experience. The good news is ma nature will be happy to serve up the necessary lessons. No prejudgment applies; the ocean is indifferent.

Have fun. Have CRAZY fun. Rule one is to not get in the way.

<edit: Cf "wave priority">

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Oct 25, 14 6:56 am     Reply with quote

I think haters, hate
I have a board that has straps ,I leave it the car or at home
unless is feel like some jumps.
which was once this year Rolling Eyes

I have seen so many folks chasing their board with straps

but most of the of the boys don't have straps here

but really who gives a shit Rolling Eyes

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Oct 25, 14 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Never said strapless was bad, or not fun. Read more carefully. Yes I have surfed, it's also fun, but I would rather kite. This thread is not about surfing. Maybe you did not read the name of this forum? NWKITE... and since you dissed kiters... Surfers often lack any kiting experience whatsoever. They can be close minded. Kiting offers many thrills they probably don't understand. I have had much scarier beatdowns learning in waves with a kite than surfing. Lines wrapped me up, kite pulling me down, far more fucking dangerous.

Also you don't own the ocean. First rule: RESPECT everyone.

PieroPDX

Since 22 May 2006
109 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Oct 25, 14 11:00 am     Reply with quote

There seems to be a glaringly obvious hypocrisy inherent to this area of human social psychology.

Even a remedial understanding of the motivators exposes us all as a bunch of scared, transparently insecure try-hards. Every single one of us.

I'd propose that nothing is further from 'cool', than the desire to be so.

...the guy talking to the mailbox and pissing himself on a street corner? He's cooler than all of us, because he gives zero fuks about our silly, superficial, desperate hunger for acceptance and inclusion based on what our culture deems as 'cool' at any particular moment. He's above all of it. Razz

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSun Oct 26, 14 6:13 am    (this comment is not guided towards anyone) Reply with quote

"the guy talking to the mailbox and pissing himself on a street corner? He's cooler than all of us"
I don't remember the last time I pissed my pants but I don't think it made me feel "cool"
That is probably why I stopped doing it. I don't think my mom and dad thought it was "Cool" either.
Trying to be cool and impress other people is not necessarily a bad thing. It's much better than the opposite. Being an individual loner prick.
Some of us just lack the ability to be cool, and that's OK. I fear I may be in this category to often. But, sometimes I like to do things that make people go "WOW, that's cool." Even if I'm landing a 1'6" strapless air and saying it to myself.
Be happy, Make others happy.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: