Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Calling all wind junkies..
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostTue Oct 21, 14 1:23 pm    Calling all wind junkies.. Reply with quote

I realize I am not about to post about where the best spot is to kiteboard during the off season is, nor do I have any tips about gear - but for the off chance I do get some helpful responses I'll give you the scoop..

I'm writing a paper about kiteboarding for my college class; origin/history, benefits, popularity... ect. Just curious if you were talking to someone who didn't know the sport, what you would say in one to two quotable sentences to describe what it is. Literal or personal definitions are great, it doesn't matter as long as it's what your opinion is. The more input from people, no matter the skill level, the better..

If you feel chatty, also just interested in what motivated you to learn the sport, and why you continue to do it. Consider this an online informal interview if you really would like and I would love to use your story as an example. I promise this is not one of those lame spam posts we occasionally see on here, I just want real feedback from the kiting community to expose more people to why we do this sport. I'm obsessed, but I'm doing my topic about kiteboarding because I was asked by half the class out of their curiosity.. (I've been late coming to class on my way back from HR earlier in the term a few times, so I was called out).
So clearly, if you're on here, and reading this - you love the sport and I would love your input.

Finishing this particular part by Sunday so any input before then would be so helpful.

Thanks guys! Smile

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Oct 21, 14 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

In flat water it's like water skiing or wakeboarding and you also get to drive the boat, in the waves at the coast, it's like towing in and you're also driving the jetski, in snowkiting you have a poma lift in your hand so you can get faceshots on the way UP the mountain!! Think about it!!

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostTue Oct 21, 14 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

I like to tell people I haven't been to a ski hill or paid for a lift ticket in 10 years you can ride up down or straight off the mountain. But the best part is if you like untracked deep virgin powder and you cross another track while snow kiting your doing something wrong.

Absolute freedom snow water land.

P.S. I also haven't froze my ass off sitting on a chairlift in 10 years either. I stop when my body tells me too not when I get to the end of a run.

Jabob

Since 12 Oct 2012
84 Posts

PostWed Oct 22, 14 1:28 am    All kite Reply with quote

Kiting is the holy grail of materialism . It gives the ability to levetate fly and walk on water all three literally. To achieve the limit on these three beauties one must be a lot like Jesus christ or may little grass hopper . Being a good person and living healthy should improve ones clarivoyance and see the future so as to be one with this defective material device. Unfortunately any true holy grail which gives the ability to levetate fly and walk on water and improve health has social consequences for those committed to the true benefits not in using financial or social statuses. Being it is a defective military device it provokes materialism which induces wickedness of social status and finacial monopolies which if they are truly evil use methods of the devil to crucify . Maybe Jesus was pulling sick barefoots and and da surf world leader in hell order and finAced an execution Hawaiian style. Or other acts of violence yelling or hate based jeolosy to prevent the a new king . Or throw this spoiled trick known as a tamper tantrum drink a lot and arrange assaults in order because the evil attracked to this device live of hate and jellosy . Materialism bunch of drunk guys and trying to organize to party with babes doesn't take decency . I have been kiting for fifteen years . Kiting is great but the industry is sociAlly defective gross evil as are the ill alter egos of lies superiority and theft of art. Surfing world is equally retarded as is any materialistic social industry that would almost kill to get the Grail.
Truly beautiful to barefoot kite. Any rude people that like to make condescending statements to my face or organize hate socially are a disgrace or yell or try to assault or arrange assaults on me I do not forget who you are and that a takes a group to achieve hate and jeolosy . Those of you in hood River hawAii and Santa barbara. Basically to some degree the water is the where the show is displayed to a lot it is kind of a way of display to the opposite sex . So it's important yes to show how much you enjoy the soul pleasure of levetating flying and walking on water at its limit and if your a truly good soul you'll defy death and extend your life but if you organize for finance or go to events And find a lot of soul mates. It is an art and art is usually stolen ridiculed belittle then over glorified and history written for those who have the monopolies . Oh ya people that got into racing is the purest form of materialistic kiting makes me vomit being around any competitor period . I have had some ungodly experiences even set up for murder in Hawaii in 2006 . I was 33 and targeted as threat to people I will not forgive ever. It's my life so any other comment on the subject of my life by any one is further assault . Salience theory of sociology would explain the situation as best scientifically

kochease

Since 03 Jul 2008
760 Posts
In Ft. Stevens, OR
Opinionated

PostWed Oct 22, 14 6:34 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Kiting is the holy grail of materialism . It gives the ability to levetate fly and walk on water all three literally. To achieve the limit on these three beauties one must be a lot like Jesus christ or may little grass hopper . Being a good person and living healthy should improve ones clarivoyance and see the future so as to be one with this defective material device. Unfortunately any true holy grail which gives the ability to levetate fly and walk on water and improve health has social consequences for those committed to the true benefits not in using financial or social statuses. Being it is a defective military device it provokes materialism which induces wickedness of social status and finacial monopolies which if they are truly evil use methods of the devil to crucify . Maybe Jesus was pulling sick barefoots and and da surf world leader in hell order and finAced an execution Hawaiian style. Or other acts of violence yelling or hate based jeolosy to prevent the a new king . Or throw this spoiled trick known as a tamper tantrum drink a lot and arrange assaults in order because the evil attracked to this device live of hate and jellosy . Materialism bunch of drunk guys and trying to organize to party with babes doesn't take decency . I have been kiting for fifteen years . Kiting is great but the industry is sociAlly defective gross evil as are the ill alter egos of lies superiority and theft of art. Surfing world is equally retarded as is any materialistic social industry that would almost kill to get the Grail.
Truly beautiful to barefoot kite. Any rude people that like to make condescending statements to my face or organize hate socially are a disgrace or yell or try to assault or arrange assaults on me I do not forget who you are and that a takes a group to achieve hate and jeolosy . Those of you in hood River hawAii and Santa barbara. Basically to some degree the water is the where the show is displayed to a lot it is kind of a way of display to the opposite sex . So it's important yes to show how much you enjoy the soul pleasure of levetating flying and walking on water at its limit and if your a truly good soul you'll defy death and extend your life but if you organize for finance or go to events And find a lot of soul mates. It is an art and art is usually stolen ridiculed belittle then over glorified and history written for those who have the monopolies . Oh ya people that got into racing is the purest form of materialistic kiting makes me vomit being around any competitor period . I have had some ungodly experiences even set up for murder in Hawaii in 2006 . I was 33 and targeted as threat to people I will not forgive ever. It's my life so any other comment on the subject of my life by any one is further assault . Salience theory of sociology would explain the situation as best scientifically

Question Question Rolling Eyes
I think someone was watching Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure while munching a huge pile of mushrooms for this post Laughing

soundwave

Since 02 Jul 2010
21 Posts
Astoria

PostWed Oct 22, 14 6:45 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh ya people that got into racing is the purest form of materialistic kiting makes me vomit being around any competitor period . I have had some ungodly experiences even set up for murder in Hawaii in 2006 . I was 33 and targeted as threat to people I will not forgive ever. It's my life so any other comment on the subject of my life by any one is further assault . Salience theory of sociology would explain the situation as best scientifically

Dude were you "targeted" for being a completely Obliterant, condescending and arrogant kook? I think so sir..... Is this well described description of you "assault"? You angry, hateful little boy, time to grow up Evil or Very Mad

Its been awhile since we have had any real great comments like JABOB, yeeeaahh fluffy unicorns and rainbows abound!!

Kerpella

Since 01 Aug 2014
58 Posts

PostWed Oct 22, 14 7:30 am     Reply with quote

Annnnny how! Thank you everyone for your comments and input. I just got done replying to a few messages with questions of why I decided to post here to get everyone's input - and well, :

It is an informative speech about Kiteboarding. So inform me what you think because all I have to go on is my own experience. I'm not perfect, pro-status or know everything about Kiteboarding by any means so this is just a plain and simple, help a chick out on what your definition is so I can let people know a variety of definitions/experiences.

Questions about how I'm quoting inputs - If you don't include a name at the end of your comments, I will use screen names (either or is fine) but they are going to be put on a visual aid presentation board for everyone to see.

Thank you so much again to all that have commented, this is all great feedback and if you're curious, when I am finished I can post a picture of the visual aid board so you can see for sure that you were quoted and how it looked. Some people that wrote were particular that I don't make it seem like my own account, and I wouldn't. Especially not with all this great input of help!

Thanks guys! Very Happy

westportcap

Since 08 Jan 2012
54 Posts

PostWed Oct 22, 14 7:53 am     Reply with quote

This was written 14 yrs ago (by an unknown author) about windsurfing, but it also captures the essence of kiting. I've kept it around, and I re-read it every now and then, because it conveys pretty accurately the crazy, obsessive exhilaration that occurs under the kite.

I've played a lot of sports, but nothing that has changed my life like windsurfing. My entire life revolves around this activity. Other sports are just something you do after work or on the weekends. Windsurfing is the activity that makes everybody change their life: quit their job, move to windy places, and even avoid having children.

Other sports are something that we do only to get into shape for windsurfing or to stay in shape when the wind isn't blowing. Other sports threaten injury that may keep us off the water.

I am finding that I can only express it by the side effects it creates.

On the water, I sing at the top of my lungs. Sometimes really weird songs like "I feel pretty" from Oklahoma, or operas where I don't know the words, or 80's hip hop lip spitting songs.

My brother, as he approaches a ramp, always radios in to the "tower" for permission to take off.

I scream at the top of my lungs. I rage and growl and grunt like Monica Seles. My jaw drops and my eyes get big and I say "oh shit this is going to be big". In the air I WHOOP and holler and try to call attention to myself. On a back loop, I often 'bail out' and watch my rig somersaulting through the air above me.

After sailing, I beam and I glow and I can't stop smiling. Driving home I am so intoxicated on brain chemicals that I would (should) get a DUI. I sleep like a baby with only a sheet for a cover because my body is radiating so much heat. My muscles twitch and spasm as I drift off to sleep going over the day's moves blow by blow.

The next day I wake up with an enormous hangover and try to get ready to do it again. What a wonderful terrible addiction! If I do nothing else with my life, I will have lived fully.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 22, 14 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Kite Boarding is the best mid-life crisis sport known to man.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 22, 14 8:01 am     Reply with quote

Also, if you record your speech, post it here

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Oct 22, 14 8:51 am     Reply with quote

Why freeze your ass off with the Landlord to hopefully catch 2 decent waves when you can stay warm and catch 200. Oh....and then there's that whole "flying thing"with soft landings for hours on end.

That's just 2 of many sentences about the addiction.

Jabob

Since 12 Oct 2012
84 Posts

PostWed Oct 22, 14 10:35 am     Reply with quote

see here comes the condescending statements . Rude fucking materialistic slime of assaults . Try me

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 22, 14 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Vote NO for internet access at the prisons!

Jabob

Since 12 Oct 2012
84 Posts

PostWed Oct 22, 14 10:47 am     Reply with quote

You the man

Jabob

Since 12 Oct 2012
84 Posts

PostWed Oct 22, 14 10:48 am     Reply with quote

Real bad ass old man with guns

Jabob

Since 12 Oct 2012
84 Posts

PostWed Oct 22, 14 10:51 am     Reply with quote

Really cool people kite in groups of superiority to achieve looking cooler than me . Well that how you know your cool assault

sleestack

Since 07 Dec 2006
181 Posts
Land of the Lost
Stoked

PostWed Oct 22, 14 10:59 am    Get some Reply with quote

[quote="Jabob"]Really cool people kite in groups of superiority to achieve looking cooler than me . Well that how you know your cool assault[/quote]

Suggestion: try getting a piece of ass after your next session. It might take the edge off and make you a bit more friendly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: