Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

South Padre Hotel Recommendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
scottjk

Since 28 Dec 2011
49 Posts

PostThu Oct 16, 14 8:10 am    South Padre Hotel Recommendation Reply with quote

I'm heading down for the kite expo. Looking for hotel recommendations. Reviews are all over the place down there depending on which site you use to search.

I'm looking for clean and relatively quiet without a lot of meth dealing going on. Very Happy

Thanks

S

JayDelViento

Since 20 Jun 2010
36 Posts
White Salmon

PostThu Oct 16, 14 10:46 am    SPI hotel - La Quinta is OK Reply with quote

My wife & I stayed at la Quinta a couple of years ago. Clean, quiet, free breakfast, inexpensive and pretty close to South Flats.
Last December I got a condo through latitude 26. Good price and convenient. It was at La Internacional and significantly less than $100/night. Quiet, clean enough, right on the beach. Only problem is that all the beds in La Internacional seem to be twin size; ok if you go alone.
Stayed at WindWater next to Air padre one time & would only recommend that if budget is priority 1. Not as clean but no meth dealing at least.

It's cheap season at SPI -- you should be able to find whatever you want at a good price.

scottjk

Since 28 Dec 2011
49 Posts

PostThu Oct 16, 14 11:20 am    Thanks Reply with quote

After reading Trip Advisor reviews I decided to book the Travel Lodge. Guess we will see how that goes.

S

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostThu Oct 16, 14 11:50 am     Reply with quote

The Travel Lodge is good, right next to La Quinta so closer to kiting. Motel 6 is actually pretty nice. they did a remodel a couple of years ago with flat screens, wifi, etc... Rooms will be around $19 to $29 per night in mid November.

Tony

scottjk

Since 28 Dec 2011
49 Posts

PostThu Oct 16, 14 1:36 pm    Motel 6 Reply with quote

Wow... those rooms look outstanding for $29 a night. Might have to switch. Shocked

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostThu Oct 16, 14 1:59 pm     Reply with quote

Confirm the pricing before switching! We've seen daily changes on their sign out front. It cycles between $19, $29 and $49 in the off season and shoots up around Thanksgiving and Christmas. You can sometimes get a better deal by asking for weekly rates.

Travel Lodge is nice though. You can kite right off the beach their walkway goes to. (5 minute walk).

Tony

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 16, 14 7:35 pm     Reply with quote

Just got here today after a 6 day whirlwind trip from Oregon with a 4 year old! There are definitely deals to be had and it looks like the wind is coming up. There are a few VRBO deals that you could get especially if you are coming with a few people. Let me know when you get here and we'll shred!

senorparker

Since 06 Aug 2009
20 Posts

PostFri Oct 17, 14 7:30 am     Reply with quote

F-One NW wrote:
Just got here today after a 6 day whirlwind trip from Oregon with a 4 year old! There are definitely deals to be had and it looks like the wind is coming up. There are a few VRBO deals that you could get especially if you are coming with a few people. Let me know when you get here and we'll shred!

Nice, our family will be there from Nov 1st through December 5th. Traveling with an 18 month old. Be good to meet up at the kite spots so the kids can entertain each other. Camping at Andy Bowie. Silver 16' travel trailer, and dark grey Tundra, Colorado plates.

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Oct 18, 14 5:57 am     Reply with quote

We just got a sweet place through padrerentals.net
The guys name is Roy and he is super accomadating. He has some 1 bed 1 bath places for about $300 a week. They are very nice condos. Some with pools and all of them have wifi, cable, etc. You might be able to deal a little bit more but that's a pretty sweet deal on a nice place. Let him know that Micah told you. He also likes beer and if you come with some sweet Oregon, WA, CA, CO etc... micro brew, who knows what kind of deal you can score.

On a side note, just had my first session out at the Kite Ranch last night and it was sweet! The wind is so much steadier at the Ranch and most of us were on a size smaller than people at the North flats were on. Oh, and NO wetsuit. When you come down you should bring one though. When the northerlies come through (like this Monday Tuesday)it can get a bit chilly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: