Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Which Slingshot board to buy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
daveS

Since 23 Jul 2007
101 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Oct 15, 14 2:07 pm    Which Slingshot board to buy Reply with quote

OK-looks like I broke my 2014 5'8" Celeritas and trying to decide on which Slingshot board to go with. Riding 100% strapless mostly in the gorge but will also use in waves both on Oregon coast and Maui. Anybody been on both. Is the 5'4" screamer too small for 9m Gorge days or 12m Maui/Coast days? Anyone think I should really be looking at the Tyrant. I might try to demo but I'm going to Maui in 2 weeks and wanna bring a board.
Dave

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 15, 14 5:41 pm     Reply with quote

For about the same cost as airline board fees u could rent and try tons of boards in maui. most places will let u swap boards as much as u want. why be rushed and drop 800 on a board u might not like??

zipperline

Since 02 Aug 2005
66 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Oct 15, 14 5:43 pm     Reply with quote

The 5'4" is going to ride the same as your Celeritas kite size wise.. This board absolutely RIPS!!!!!!

I'm 165 and ride it at the coast and gorge 4.5-11 meter kites..

Don't even think about it just get one!!!

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostWed Oct 15, 14 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

zipperline wrote:
The 5'4" is going to ride the same as your Celeritas kite size wise.. This board absolutely RIPS!!!!!!

I'm 165 and ride it at the coast and gorge 4.5-11 meter kites..

Don't even think about it just get one!!!

I guess that depends on weight, conditions and preferences. My go to board is the 5´8 Celeritas for some years now (in the past years complemented by a Tyrant). 176 lbs, 1,80 m. Strapless only and with a lot of jumping. Wind here is below 20 knots more often than not. I bought a 5´4 Screamer mostly for the stronger wind days and/or a big rough waves. Although I like the Screamer, I haven't used it a lot yet. For me, it might be great in winds from 20/25 knots upwards but below that the Celeritas is so much more fun for me. Even with little kite pull, I get very fast and have speed for jumping. Plus in weak waves it just keeps on planing and planing. So it is quite easy to park the kite and just take the wave.

If you only ride surfboards, I would highly recommend getting two of them. For me, the Celeritas is great for 80-90% of the days. But there are days when I am very happy to have a Screamer or Tyrant.

scottjk

Since 28 Dec 2011
49 Posts

PostThu Oct 16, 14 8:06 am    Rent Reply with quote

Just got back from Maui. I work for the airlines and I choose to rent my boards in Maui. $20-$25 a day and you can ride just about anything you want.

Adventure Sports Maui actually unpackaged a 2015 Cabrinha Secret Weapon for me.

S

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostFri Oct 17, 14 8:40 am     Reply with quote

@ daveS:
Have you asked Slingshot directly about the difference between Screamer and Tyrant? I can't really contribute here, because I have had too little time on the Screamer and it is months ago that I rode the Tyrant. Would be curious about what Slingshot has to say about that though.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSun Dec 21, 14 10:30 pm    pick one for Manzanita from Windance used kiteboards Reply with quote

I'm looking for another directional, probably another Slingshot. I'm 6' 170lbs and I have a 2010 5'8" Celeritas that I love for the Gorge and boosting, a Dialer that works great for strapless light wind, but I'm looking for something in between for wave riding at Manzanita in 9 to 12m with 6' swell. Windance has a bunch of 2014/15 directionals in their used section. I've tried a few dedicated wave boards, but wasn't thrilled with the slowness of their high rocker. Is the Tyrant one of these? Votes?
They have for around $500:
5'2" T Rex
5'2" Screamer
5'4" T Rex
5'6" T Rex
5'11" Celeritas
5'11" Tyrant
6'1" Tyrant
and a 2012 6'1" Tyrant strapless for $250
also found a new 2013 6'0" Verve for $350

jayala

Since 30 Apr 2013
115 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Dec 22, 14 7:10 am    pick one Reply with quote

Macgruber,
I sent you a Pm

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
557 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostMon Dec 22, 14 8:17 am     Reply with quote

buy a North Pacific, get it custom to how you like!

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Dec 22, 14 10:13 am     Reply with quote

I'll answer your question with an opinion. I'm also 6' and 170 and own a 2010 5'8" and kite Manzo. I know exactly what you're after. The celeritas is a great board for jumping, small wave action and goes upwind like a biatch! But if you want to play in bigger waves at Manzo with confidence, I like a board that's more playful and won't pearl on me when I screw up. The tyrant would fill that role with the 6'1" my pick. But truth be told, never rode one. Have fun!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: