Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SS swivel stuck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dancingwind

Since 18 Jul 2007
321 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 10, 14 12:52 am    SS swivel stuck Reply with quote

A friend purchase a used 2012 RPM, and we noticed the bar swivel stuck. I can tell that it's pretty rusted inside, so I suspect the pervious owner did not properly clean/maintain bar after all the salty sessions. Tried with all my might to turn it, but to no avail. It's pretty much frozen. Thinking about putting a few drops of liquid wrench but concerned about the lines getting contaminated, plus don't want the oil to attract sand and other foreign objects in there. Any suggestions?

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Oct 10, 14 2:09 am     Reply with quote

I think it's pretty cheap and easy to replace the bearing pack.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 10, 14 4:29 am     Reply with quote

All my swivels have been frozen for years. They work properly for a while upon new purchase, then I forget one time to rinse after an ocean session... no mas.
Do they have a purpose, when you just loop or back-roll to clear?

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostFri Oct 10, 14 6:30 am     Reply with quote

The kite will work, however, it is a good idea to keep them functional. If you have a rotation in the lines and end up needing to release the CSS, a twist will not allow the safety line to pull through easily, if there are more than 1 twist I'm not sure you could pull through at all.

Replace it and rinse it if you go in the salt. The bearing cannot be replaced independently unfortunately. If you're in an area when fresh water is not available, work the swivel after dry but rinse it later. I think a small squirt of Teflon with the swivel laying flat won't get on the lines or CL rope if you wipe it good and use sparingly.

dancingwind

Since 18 Jul 2007
321 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Oct 11, 14 12:58 am     Reply with quote

Thanks you guys. Per barflys reasoning, the swivel keeps the flag-line from twisting around the rest of the lines. Too many twists and it will hinder the flag/safety line from properly flagging the kite. Will remove it and soak it in Vinegar and see if that helps. If not, we'll just replace it.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Oct 11, 14 2:38 pm     Reply with quote

they did have some problems with the earlier swivels when I was told the manufacturer used the "wrong" stainless but they corrected that and I have had no real problems with the newer ones if I rinse them once in a while if in salt water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: