Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Big Guy Quiver
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
gnac

Since 05 Sep 2014
66 Posts
Husum

PostThu Oct 09, 14 12:04 pm    Big Guy Quiver Reply with quote

Bottom Line On Top: At 220lbs, 6'2", which is the better two kite quiver of Rally's for the Gorge, 8/10, 10/12, or 8/12?

I know this general topic has been covered extensively on many many forums, but I couldn't find a meaningful answer to my specific question.

I'm a new rider. I've only ridden with lesson gear until I got a used "package" deal late this summer on a board and two 2012 Rally kites, 8m and 10m.

I sold the board (136 Slingshot SX) and got a Mako King (165mm) which I'm riding TT with surf straps at the moment. As I progress I plan on going to Mutant, then directional. I'm 220 lbs and 6'2".

So far, the only time I've been able to use the 8m has been body dragging at the HR sandbar. Every other time out (about 5 sessions) I've used the 10m. Most of the times it has been barely enough to keep me going, but I chalk that up to inexperience and low winds this time of year. The Mako has helped a lot in that regard too.

Now here's my question. What would be the ideal 2 kite quiver for me in the gorge? Would I be better off selling the 8m or 10m in exchange for a 12m Rally? (I'd like to stick with a consistent kite setup) Ideally I could have all three, but budget yada yada yada...

I'm leaning towards selling the 10m, even though its been my go to so far. I'll mostly be kiting the gorge, but I do want to see the coast in my future. I suspect I'll be able to use the 8m a lot more next year when the winds pick up again.

According to the chart below, (for 2012 Rally's) there is a lot of crossover in the 8 and 10 and again in the 10 and 12. Is that enough to provide coverage on the in between days? There appears to be only a 3-4 kt overlap on the 8 and 12s.

Any insight would be appreciated.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 09, 14 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

you are going to get a lot of answers to this that will be confusing.
First, keep in mind that the 2012 Rally's are not like the 2013-14-15 kites. The 2012's make a different shape turn and ride a bit smaller so keep track of which years people are talking about.
Second, you are not going to like this but it would probably be best to sell them both and go 12-9. PITA i know but you asked for the best 2 kite combo for a big guy in the gorge.
If you do not like this advice, wait few moments and there will lots of other opinions to choose from!

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Oct 09, 14 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with the 9-12 spacing. No need for 2m increments in the bigger size kites.
I find plenty of overlap between my 9 and 12m wind ranges.
I have been out on the 9 when others are on 12s and out on the 12 when others are on 9m kites.
Not sure if I could jump from 8 to 12, but 9-12 works great for me.

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostThu Oct 09, 14 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

With the size of board or surf board you have and the gorge wind I am thinking 18 to 35 I would go with a 7 and 10. If 15 to 30 go 8 and 11. Most the time it blows 20 + here in the gorge. Nice to have a bigger kite when you drive to the coast. Three kites would be ideal. You will fine as your skill level gets better you will use smaller kites on surf boards. If your wanting to boost big air then you will use bigger kites. Also just go to the event site talk too people on rallys or demo sizes. If it was me I would keep your 8-10rally 2012s were nice and fast. Add a 12 to your quiver. Hope this helps.
Last edited by wood on Thu Oct 09, 14 2:53 pm; edited 7 times in total

gnac

Since 05 Sep 2014
66 Posts
Husum

PostThu Oct 09, 14 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

I'll consider the 9/12 combo. Just means I have to swap two kites instead of one, but so be it if necessary.

However, on years up to 2014, it looks like the 9m has a lot of overlap with the 8. Both start at nearly the same low wind range, with the 8 having fairly more high speed range. The 2015's look to have a cleaner separation on the low wind range. Is this a correct interpretation of the earlier years?

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostThu Oct 09, 14 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

IT''S ALL ABOUT HOW YOUR KITING SKILLS ARE ,DO YOU WANT TO BE LIT UP OR DO YOU WANT TO BE LAID BACK . Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Exclamation YOUR WIEGHT WILL CHANGE AND YOUR SKILLS OF FLYING A BIGGER KITE IN HIGH WINDS WILL INCREASE WITH TIME IN THE WATER-WIND.. TROLL

4560_1108785233239_3628929_n.jpg 

stuffnthings

Since 28 Aug 2013
133 Posts
Colorado
Stoked

PostThu Oct 09, 14 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

I'm 205, 6'1" and primarily ride a surf board in the gorge. I feel like I'm a slightly bigger kiter and would support the 9/12 combo.

I actually just went from 7/9/12 to 7/10/13 (North Dice) and am really glad that I went up a size on the big kites. I only get about 10 days a season on my 7 and am most often on my 10. I love having a 13 to stay on the water later for after work sessions and for making coast trips. It just opens up that much more time on the water when the wind is on the lighter side.

Also, as a new kiter, I personally think its better to be slightly over powered rather than slightly underpowered.

Just my $.02

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostThu Oct 09, 14 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

I am 210 and 6'1" and I have been pretty happy with my 6/9/12 quiver for the last few years now. I had the 9 and the 12 for my first year of kiting and added the 6 to kite rooster in the fall and winter and other high wind days in the gorge. I think most of the delta hybrid kites have a pretty big range and can support a 3 kite size gap. Rallys are in that category. My kites are Airush Lithiums fyi.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Oct 09, 14 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

As soon as you start riding farther away from the Sandbar and further west, you'll be in a lot more wind. You'll also start flying the kite a lot more and will be more efficient riding. That said, I feel like I'm tempting fate by not bringing along my 12m, even when I know it's going to be 7m. Haven't been skunked in the last 40 sessions. I did get skunked last fall at Rooster by not having a small enough kite for 40mph wind. I have 5,7,9,12m and ride my 9m 50% of the time and I'm 170lbs. 7m about 20%, 15% 5m, 15% 12m. At the Coast, it's more like 50% 9m, 50% 12m. You probably should keep your 8, 10 Rallys and add a bigger kite. There is a complete 14m 2012 Rally in the classifieds for 700. A 2013 or newer 12m Rally will be similar power and speed-wise.

gnac

Since 05 Sep 2014
66 Posts
Husum

PostThu Oct 09, 14 2:51 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice.

One thing seems clear, I need a bigger kite. As some have said, I'll be able to get more out of any kite as I get better, but in the meantime I think I need that extra power. Maybe I'll put both my 8m and 10m up for sale in order to fund the bigger kite, and keep whichever one doesn't sell first. I can always buy more later.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Oct 09, 14 4:19 pm     Reply with quote

gnac wrote:
One thing seems clear, I need a bigger kite. As some have said, I'll be able to get more out of any kite as I get better, but in the meantime I think I need that extra power.

Yep. Jahmbi's input was very valid as to how you ride now and just getting more time on the water. You're also at a stage where you ride inefficient so the extra power helps you park the kite so you can relax and focus on edging upwind. Leaning towards riding lit is way easier than riding lite IMO.

Also, being new the wind can really play games with your head so it's not bad to think about a 3-kite / 2m gap in kites for peace of mind (8-10-12) when the funding allows. As you improve you could pack 2 kites and make them work but by that time you'll be such a junky you'll have 5 in your car like the rest of us clowns. Have fun.

Bargeslayer

Since 08 Jul 2012
100 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Oct 09, 14 4:41 pm     Reply with quote

I'm 6"2" and 195. I have 8 and 12m RPMs right now that I'm pretty stoked on. I am able to ride about 98% of the time that I go (in fact I can't remember the last time I got skunked with this combo). I like having just 2 kites because the decision on what to ride is usually pretty obvious: is it nuking? if yes 8m, if no, 12m. Having multiple boards also helps. Boots to hold down power, surfboard if it's light. My 2 cents.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Oct 09, 14 5:01 pm     Reply with quote

GNAC - for you size - those two kites will work well in La Ventana for you too... just sayin'

www.freeridekiting.com

westportcap

Since 08 Jan 2012
54 Posts

PostThu Oct 09, 14 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

The point needs to be made that you can't focus strictly on kite size; you've got to consider the year and model. Experienced riders know well that the same model, from one year to the next, will fly differently, and one manufacturer's 9m will not behave the same as another's 9m. So, in addition to thinking about the sizes in your quiver, you MUST give consideration to the year + model.

You asked for opinions, so here's mine: the 2012 Rally is a fast, low-grunt, hummingbird. Notwithstanding the love on this forum for it, which is deep and prodigious, I think it's a lousy choice for a beginner. Your situation is made worse after factoring in your weight and the sizes you own.

I'd sell the 2012 Rallys. You need a condor up there. Or an eagle. A stable, slow(er), do-it-all, freeride kite with good low end from a major manufacturer in the right size(s). A sturdy, mainstream kite that doesn't require a lot of bar input to get its power. I'm talking about the Cabrinha Switchblade, the Airush Lithium, the North Rebel (although it's a fifth-line kite), and maybe the 2014 Rally.

I like the 12m/9m gorge quiver mentioned by others, but at 220 lbs it needs to be a make/model that brings the power. If you find yourself under-powered on the 12m, borrow a surfboard or try longer lines before you go for a bigger kite.

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 09, 14 8:27 pm     Reply with quote

Easy- add a 14 and you'll have a sweet quiver at 8/10/14. At 220#, if you need less than an 8, maybe it's a bit much anyways. I'm 170# and would ride a 2012 rally 8 to low 30's. Cheers!

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 10, 14 7:22 am     Reply with quote

I weight about 210 and find that I use 9, 11 and 14 kites. These are all the old slingshot t3. Not fast moving but good low end power. Just will not invest in newer kites until I get some better intermediate skills. Question for the forum, are these kites holding me back. I can go up wind and have an 80 % sliding turn.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 10, 14 7:46 am     Reply with quote

Time to pile on. I am 6'1" and also weigh 220. I have 2013 7,10 Rally. 2013 rpm 12 and 2012 rally 14. Pretty covered for the winds. I don't think you can do a two kite quiver unless you are a 160 lb stick:-)!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: