Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Big Guy Quiver
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Oct 10, 14 8:04 am     Reply with quote

im 5 11 210. I just picked up a 8 11 and 14 2015 switchblade. I dont live in the gorge but visit often. I use the 14 more than any other kite (i had 2011 switchblades previously).
I was just in haterous and i am still riding my 14 at 22 mph wind.

alleycat

Since 29 Jun 2006
176 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Oct 10, 14 9:33 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with the dog, I am a little on the heavy side 225lbs. I Ride surfboards with very little time on twin tips.. You will never be just right with only two kites.

so a 7, 9, and a 12 will have you dialed in.

rePete

Since 18 Dec 2007
215 Posts
Mosier, Oregon
Stoked

PostSat Oct 11, 14 7:02 am     Reply with quote

At 210 and a 165 Mako King in my board quiver heres my two cents. I've tried several combinations of kite size spacing. First off, not all kites are created equal! I've found that low end combined with very high depower capability is key to a 2 kite quiver. The ability to generate power by diving the kite and of course looping the kite is also needed. So add a fast turning kite to the formula. You can tune most kites to turn slower or use a shorter bar until you get use to the speed of the kite. With that said I have gone to an 8-11 combo and can kite most any kiteable day in the Gorge. There are going to be a few of those 35 plus days you'll be overpowered and a few light wind days you don't have enough. Board choice also makes a big difference.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSat Oct 11, 14 9:56 am     Reply with quote

Even though I do not have one I have seen my buddy Sella tear it up on the Mako. there have been days I wanted to go on my 12 and would have been on the verge of overpowered but he whips the 10 meter out on the Mako and the game is on. For me twin tips are more finicky for the wind ranges. Just my two cents as the board might help the issue. two kite quivers are tough for us 200 lbers!!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Oct 11, 14 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

220 lbs needs power
new rider needs power
Mako King needs power(it's not a light wind board)
Are you going out as a beginner in 35-40 knot winds yet? Probably not
2 kite gorge quiver 12, 9
will there be an occasional day you can not go out, yes
will you be on the right kite more often when you do go out, yes

just my opinion as i said earlier, YMMV

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostMon Oct 13, 14 7:23 am     Reply with quote

I weight 220 lbs as well.

Short answer to your question would be 9m-11m drifters with a good efficient surfboard.

why drifters? because they are the best kite I've ever ridden when it comes to handling gusts and still being fun in punch gusty winds. Also they are the best kite I've ridden so far with a surfboard which is what I mostly do in the river these days.

My quiver is the following: (disclaimer: I am affiliated with Cabrinha)

Kites
17m Contra
14m Switchblade
12m Switchblade
11m Drifter
9m Drifter
7m Switchblade

Boards
141 X-caliber
145 Stylus
5'10" Skillet
5'8" Subwoofer

my local spot is a light wind spot so I rode the 17m and the 141 X-caliber most of the summer.

I took about 4-5 trips to Hood River this year and only rode the 9m and 11m Drifters while I was there. The 5'8" subwoofer is $$$ for being able to launch from the sandbar where its a little light and upwind to hatch or swell city.

I don't think I have touched my 7m in over a year. I think I need to drop 20lbs before I use that kite again....

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 13, 14 11:37 am     Reply with quote

2014 9 and 12 Rally's in classifieds right now. No, not mine!

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 13, 14 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

I bounce between 200-220... I find my Switchblades are easy to manage in really overpowered/gusty conditions. I'm cool with the 14M in 24+ conditions.

My quiver is 7/9/12/14 Switchblades and 15M Ozone Chrono for light winds. Personally, I think the perfect Switchblade quiver for me would be 7/9/13 except they don't make a 13.

Dwayne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: