Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiters who windsurf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Dec 29, 06 9:32 am    Kiters who windsurf Reply with quote

I had a question for kiteboarders who also windsurf (or windsurfers who also kite) - why do you do both?

Do you feel the same way on the water?

Which one do you go faster?

Which one do you enjoy more?

Just trying to figure out what the draw is to windsurfing.

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostFri Dec 29, 06 10:33 am     Reply with quote

I see them as one sport, one is an extension of the other so I have more fun on the water. I kite until it's too windy for my 5m kite, then windsurf on a 4.2 or 3.7. I enjoy kiting more, I feel more free since you don't have a mast and sail in the way, I can ride waves better on my kites now due to the newer kites. But when I'm on my small windsurfing gear it's balls out crazy conditions and I love it

In general the feel is similar in ways but different in others. Windsurfing is more about speed, but there are also many aspects of it that appeal to different types, freestyle, big terrain, straightline cruising, etc. For me it's all about being lit up with some nice sized terrain to carve on or jump off. Jumping is way different and fun in it's own way, but the air doesn't compare obviously.

You go faster windsurfing but kites are getting better, dealing with gnarly gusts is way better with a sail, and you can "stop" pretty much any time, it's a lot harder to kill yourself with sail

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostFri Dec 29, 06 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

Been windsurfing for 10 years and kiting for 1. Since I enjoy getting air the most in both sports, kiting is more fun to me. But a couple of benefits of windsurfing that I still see are:

1. ability to easily stop and relax on the beach (or float on your board) at any time, without having to worry about landing/launching a kite.

2. ability to rig & sail alone in lots of conditions (i don't consider most kite self launch & land techniques to be 100% safe). In particular, you can launch and land in a lot more places with a windsurfer.

3. safer to go far out to sea (at least you always have your board to float & paddle). If you're kiting and the wind dies when you're a few miles out, you're screwed. So windsurfing might be a better way to explore the ocean (e.g. ride out to a reef and snorkel)

As for pure fun factor, I guess windsurfing seems like you can go a little faster, but that's not that important to me. I find the ability to carve and jump are more important, and with kiting you can carve harder and jump higher.

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostMon Jan 01, 07 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

I am just learning to kite (mostly because my wife likes it better) so don't have a lot to say about other than I am having fun learning. I have been windsurfing for 20 years. The never ending challenge is key. I tend to enjoy the challenge of learning more than being an "expert". That is why Jet skis suck, you can be a hero in a day. While it is easy for me to do the basic things in windsurfing there is alway a new challenge that isn't necessarily related to greater risk to my body.

Back when I was a kid the general public talked about windsurfing like they now do about kiting. Both sports really catch the couch potato imagination.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jan 02, 07 8:29 am     Reply with quote

b/c they feel diffenerc & provide diffenert sensaiton

wind skipping has a 'surfy' feel to it while kite has a 'power' feel to it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: