Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lincoln City rescue on Sunday
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Jimbo

Since 16 Jul 2009
58 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Oct 09, 14 9:47 am     Reply with quote

Good post and glad you are ok. IMO you did something really smart. You wore a PFD. I beat the drum of wearing a PFD a lot and it is amazing to me how many kiters don't wear floatation. Shocked

Be Stoked!!!

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostThu Oct 09, 14 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the input and advice! Super helpful for someone trying to push their skill level and experience new obstacles. On that note: 1) how do I keep from riding a wave under the kite, then having the lines slack and the kite fall from the air? 2) when that happens, what is the best thing to do?

I was doing okay reading the slop/waves but then all the sudden got caught on the crest of a big crasher and in that instance thought: 1) do I stall and lift/hold myself over the crest hoping it crashes ahead of me? Or 2) do I dive the kite and hope I can still out run it?

PostFri Oct 10, 14 9:15 am    big waves this weekend Reply with quote

Big waves coming to the coast from the Alaskan storm, from the National Weather Service:...LARGE SURF AND POSSIBLE SNEAKER WAVES THIS WEEKEND... DANGEROUS WAVES ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THE COAST THIS WEEKEND. A BUILDING WEST SWELL HAS GREAT POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE 16 TO 18 FEET BREAKING WAVES ALONG THE COAST SATURDAY. THE WEST SWELL RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE WAVES WILL HAVE LONG WAVE-PERIODS...NEAR 19 SECONDS...AND RESULT IN LONG BREAKS BETWEEN THE LARGER WAVES. SNEAKER WAVES ARE SUDDEN AND UNEXPECTED WAVES THAT REACH FURTHER UP THE BEACH THAN NORMAL. THEY CAN TAKE BEACH GOERS BY SURPRISE AND SWEEP THEM OUT INTO THE FRIGID AND TURBULENT SEA. THE DANGER IS MAGNIFIED BECAUSE THE WEATHER WILL NOT BE STORMY...AND THERE MAY BE A FALSE PERCEPTION OF SAFE CONDITIONS. SATURDAY HAS THE GREATEST POTENTIAL FOR SNEAKER WAVES...BUT LARGE SURF WILL REMAIN HIGH THROUGH THE WEEKEND. STAY ALERT TO THE DANGER OF SNEAKER WAVES AND NEVER TURN YOUR BACK TO THE OCEAN. MAINTAINING A GOOD DISTANCE FROM THE SURF AND WEARING LIFE PRESERVERS ARE GOOD SAFETY MEASURES...ESPECIALLY FOR CHILDREN. AVOID WALKING NEAR JETTIES WHERE LARGE WAVES CAN EASILY KNOCK YOU OFF OF YOUR FEET OR INTO THE OCEAN.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 10, 14 9:57 am     Reply with quote

I heard that the big wave contest may happen at Nelscott this weekend.

nealm

Since 19 Jul 2012
41 Posts
North Coast/White Salmon

PostMon Oct 13, 14 11:49 pm     Reply with quote

cathy o. wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input and advice! Super helpful for someone trying to push their skill level and experience new obstacles. On that note: 1) how do I keep from riding a wave under the kite, then having the lines slack and the kite fall from the air? 2) when that happens, what is the best thing to do?

I was doing okay reading the slop/waves but then all the sudden got caught on the crest of a big crasher and in that instance thought: 1) do I stall and lift/hold myself over the crest hoping it crashes ahead of me? Or 2) do I dive the kite and hope I can still out run it?

I've found that the kite lines going slack is more of a problem when trying to go down the line on a wave downwind when the wind is side-onshore, much less of a problem if the wind is side-off. I've seen some people loop their kite to keep going right, otherwise if I'm riding a spot like Roads End and my kite starts to fall I think the best thing you can do is point the board upwind. So if there's still a wave face you'd be riding it left, otherwise head straight out in front of the white water. Even if the wave outruns you and you lose your board in most cases the kite stays up and you can body drag in Smile.

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostThu Oct 16, 14 10:45 am     Reply with quote

nealm, that makes sense. my comfortable stance is riding down the line regular foot and hence, downwind. This is a big tip for me now to think about when I'm picking/choosing and lining up for waves... thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: