Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Surfers Ear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Oct 04, 14 8:24 am    Surfers Ear Reply with quote

I have reached the point where surgery is absolutely necessary. My right ear is 100% closed and left ear is 75%. Who out there has had the micro chiseling surgery done and by what surgeons? How did it go? Would you recommend any particular ENT surgeon for this procedure?

Question Question Question

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Oct 04, 14 10:31 am     Reply with quote

My friend had it done and highly recommends preventative actions: like ear plugs, hoodies to keep your ears warm, etc.
The surgery worked for him.

Jackal

Since 17 Dec 2005
147 Posts
WS
Stoked

PostSun Oct 05, 14 10:45 am     Reply with quote

I had surgery 10 years ago on my left ear- cold water kayaking is what did me in.

I had it done here in Hood River- I honestly can't remember the doctors name- a female doctor- she did a great job. I think she's moved on to Portland though. I called the ENT here and she's who I got.

I've had friend's get it since locally and their recovery was much faster than mine. I think they've made a few advances in the past 10 years. It worked great- no more clogged ears- good luck- it's not a fun surgery at all.

shred

Since 03 Jul 2010
14 Posts

PostSun Oct 05, 14 12:58 pm    Surfer's Ear Reply with quote

I had surgery on both ears three years ago after years of plugged ear canals following windsurfing and surfing sessions. Ear plugs helped unless I went through a rinse cycle. I had the surgery in Santa Cruz by an ENT doctor who has done thousands of these operations and developed many of the modern techniques and tools for this procedure. There are nerves in the bone below and above the canal that you don't want to damage! This doctor's name is Douglas Hetzler. His office is in Soquel, California. I highly recommend you go to someone with is very familiar with this procedure!!

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Oct 05, 14 2:45 pm    Re: Surfers Ear Reply with quote

I don't get it… "My right ear is 100% closed and left ear is 75%. "

You mean that your ear has closed down between the drum and the external hole? Or what? I'm just wondering because I suddenly lost high sounds in my left ear six months ago, but the ear drum can still be seen with an otoscope.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSun Oct 05, 14 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

My ear canal before the eardrum is totally closed now. The bone growth under the skin has forced the canal opening completely shut. I can no longer hear anything out of my right ear as if you stick your finger in your ear and cram it tight. My left ear is how I can still hear, but it is very disorienting as I can't tell where sound is originating and my own voice echos in my head. It has been a progressive situation that really started with the symptoms of getting water in my ears and having to shake my head to clear them out, last few years I have been doing my best to wear plugs and try to not fall in and get soaked.

You can help clean water and junk out of your ears with a solution of half rubbing alcohol and half white vinegar. This helps to kill bacteria and drys the inside of the ear canal. However my situation is the worst case scenario of total closure and must be surgically opened to restore the ear canal and allow hearing. Needless to say I cannot do air travel or go to high elevations until I can clear the pressure in my ears. Yes, it is a bummer, but I can still kitesurf which I did again today.

Last edited by Windian on Tue Oct 07, 14 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Oct 05, 14 7:53 pm     Reply with quote

Damn that sucks. Amazing how our body goes wonky. Good luck on the surgery!

foghater

Since 31 Aug 2008
135 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Oct 07, 14 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

I had the surgery on my right ear about ten years ago. Dr Lewis out of St Vincents. A number of North coast surfers have gone through him and had good results. He uses a file technique vs the drill.. Anyways good luck.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue Oct 07, 14 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, I am scheduled for the pre-evaluation visit with Dr. Lewis next week. Planning on having the surgery done during late November so I can recover during the tunnel of darkness of mid-winter.

Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: