Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

spots to ride big waves with south wind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mtjustice100

Since 14 Jun 2014
49 Posts

PostTue Sep 23, 14 4:10 pm    spots to ride big waves with south wind Reply with quote

going to the coast wed/thurs for some south wind big swell action... i know its sketchy gusty ect. but im goin with the intent of getting a bit gnarly. was wondering what spots hold up best, gman i bet you are the expert on this. feel free to PM if you dont wanna blow up your spots! your secret is safe with me. thanks homies!!

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 23, 14 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

I wonder what Gman thinks about this - but the Necanicum river mouth is so awesome. It's not necessarily the biggest place, but I found it one of the cleanest waves so far.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Sep 23, 14 5:21 pm     Reply with quote

this one is self correcting - not too many folks will enjoy 15ft @ 15 sec

Seaside to Shipwreck can be epic - sometimes peeling overhead goofy goodness tho usually victory at sea with some crazy gusty wind and last year lightning for the +1 (homie disconnects and hides )

- be safe lots of water moving around and not always flowing back to the beach!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

JOJO

Since 12 Mar 2008
91 Posts
PDX

PostTue Sep 23, 14 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

Contemplating to be there but am not quite sure yet if I am up for now forecasted 20ft combined seas...

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Sep 23, 14 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

Most people will crap their pants above 12 foot oregon swell.

Most yahoos big days are like 6 foot.

Go get some... like G said... self correcting.

Your not getting any younger. Watch out for 6 foot storm surges..

On the bright side ..less old growth driftwood bouncing around gonging in the mystery foam surges.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
882 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue Sep 23, 14 8:17 pm     Reply with quote

Seek the beaches that are very flat sand with minimal slope and that way the waves will be small and docile near the beach and gradually get bigger as you head out to sea. For example, Seaside, Gearheart, Cannon Beach, Manzo, Agate, South Beach, etc. Avoid the steep beaches that have chewy and big shorebreak right near shore like Gleneden, Roads End, Neskowin, etc. Gleneden is a perfect example of a spot that can dish out the beating of a lifetime right as you are trying to launch with double overhead shorebreak unloading on dry sand.

We kite at Agate alot on the central coast on southerlies and have no problem riding the inside and only venture to the outside when a gap in the waves presents itself. However, the best riding tends to be on the inside as it is way smoother than the ugly storm seas chunking out the outside waves. Kiting in southerlies is an entirely different beast than kitesurfing on north winds, complete opposites of each other, literally. Northwinds can be magic and beautiful in the surf while southwinds can be as ugly and brutal as a date with Medusa.

Mtjustice100

Since 14 Jun 2014
49 Posts

PostTue Sep 23, 14 11:08 pm     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:

Seaside to Shipwreck can be epic - sometimes peeling overhead goofy goodness tho usually victory at sea with some crazy gusty wind and last year lightning for the +1 (homie disconnects and hides )

Sweet thanks homie! Ill play it safe on the inside with a strong riding partner. Sounds like seaside is the call!!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Sep 24, 14 6:43 am    Del Ray to Sunset Reply with quote

Mtjustice100 wrote:
Gman wrote:

Sweet thanks homie! Ill play it safe on the inside with a strong riding partner. Sounds like seaside is the call!!

10th Street beach access at Gearhart and or 1 mile north at Del Ray Beach access not only provide country club access to the beach, as one can drive on the beach at these points, it also avoids a river mouth which can be a dangerous water feature with ebbing river flow and discharge and debris caused from the strong rains.

With the unpredictable south winds (southies often times either ramp up and are TOO much or ramp down and are TOO little). IMHO it is best to pick a downwinder no more than 5 miles long in case of a breakdown and or the wind not cooperating--it makes the walk back to the upwind or downwind car much more manageable. 10th street beach access to Sunset beach access is about 5 miles long. Actually, Del Ray to Sunset even better as the access is that much easier from Hwy 101 and it's shorter.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostWed Sep 24, 14 7:35 am     Reply with quote

Seaside can be a good place to start, or point sail depending on the conditions. When the wind is S or SSE it is challenging with gusty offshores (can be epic but there are consequences dropping your kite in front of the rivermouth), going North a bit where the beach curves better to pick up that direction can help.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Sep 24, 14 9:33 am     Reply with quote

Clearest southerly moment - the Barfly ripping a double-overhead chocalate wall off Sunset Beach

That and the time he dragged my carcass back thru a hellacious riptide when my CL snapped while halibut fishing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostWed Sep 24, 14 10:50 am     Reply with quote

barfly wrote:
Seaside can be a good place to start, or point sail depending on the conditions. When the wind is S or SSE it is challenging with gusty offshores (can be epic but there are consequences dropping your kite in front of the rivermouth), going North a bit where the beach curves better to pick up that direction can help.

This has been my experience as well. Even when the wind begins to be a bit west of due south, it seems considerably more gusty than a little further north. And when it's due south, or east of south, then it can be downright nasty in Seaside.

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 24, 14 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Downwinders are the best, Del Rey to Sunset, usually underpowered 12m or Steady Warm 12m. Some hairy 7m that helps to shoot downwind during the gusts then play in the lulls. I never point sail and stay on the inside unless an opening presents itself.

I have a nice wife that follows me down the beach in the Subaru Wink

nealm

Since 19 Jul 2012
41 Posts
North Coast/White Salmon

PostWed Sep 24, 14 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

I was out surfing central OR coast last week, and Sunday I was VERY tempted to kite the South wind mid afternoon, but decided against trying new spots on a Southerly wind solo. I forget the exact swell size, maybe 5-7ft, waves definitely a few feet overhead at the exposed breaks, maybe head & 1/2. Checked spots from Newport North Jetty (surprisingly messy looking waves, guess it angles too far South) up to Gleneden. Didn't check Agate although sounds like I should have, Moolach to Beverly looked OK but just more choppy exposed swell. One guy was out at Otter on a 14, but he got off the water pretty quickly, seemed like a weird South wind shadow there somehow. From there went up to Gleneden and those were by far the BEST & cleanest looking kiteable waves I saw all day. I've only kited there once, and it was a smaller swell and South wind, had a great time on a 12m, wind was nice and steady that day. I agree that you could get in some serious trouble with the shore pound there, but I think that place has a lot of potential for South wind kiting if you're looking for big, punchy waves! I'd be game to give it another go, just want to have someone else there if something goes wrong!

nealm

Since 19 Jul 2012
41 Posts
North Coast/White Salmon

PostWed Sep 24, 14 8:48 pm     Reply with quote

Another spot I've been thinking about for years... used to live and surf more often up in Washington, and on big winter days there's a wave that breaks in the middle of Grays Harbor between Westport and Ocean Shores. I've heard of people kiting out of the Ocean Shores side, but not sure if anyone has ever gone for the wave in the harbor? I know there's a lot of current out there, but if you launched from the Ocean Shores side at least the South wind would hopefully take you back to the beach of anything went wrong?! I'd be curious to hear if anyone has gone for that wave up there?

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 24, 14 9:03 pm     Reply with quote

I kited by myself at Manzanita (blustery 11m wind) in 4-6' waves yesterday. This morning the waves were 20+' (breaking on an outer outer break), just insane. I took this pic this afternoon when the waves dropped to 10 to 15', still too much.

mz waves 004.1024.jpg 

Last edited by jeremy on Thu Sep 25, 14 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostThu Sep 25, 14 3:05 pm    Butter instead? Reply with quote

Maybe not 20+ overhead...but on South days fun to sneak out to Chinook.
Here's one from last night...Just South of the port...look for Olsen Rd (Yellow house) is public access...friendly neighbors. BUTTER BUTTER BUTTER!! Laughing

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 25, 14 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

nealm wrote:
Another spot I've been thinking about for years... used to live and surf more often up in Washington, and on big winter days there's a wave that breaks in the middle of Grays Harbor between Westport and Ocean Shores. I've heard of people kiting out of the Ocean Shores side, but not sure if anyone has ever gone for the wave in the harbor? I know there's a lot of current out there, but if you launched from the Ocean Shores side at least the South wind would hopefully take you back to the beach of anything went wrong?! I'd be curious to hear if anyone has gone for that wave up there?

Damon Point!
Go to PSKite.com for more info.

www.Purestokesports.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: