Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foil Boards
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
keepgorgewindy

Since 16 Jul 2013
15 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Sep 22, 14 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

They seem like they can be super fast too. Are they going to use them in olympic racing, or, any racing? Reminds me of that super fast Oracle hydro kite boat in San Fran...

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 22, 14 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

bustingbladder wrote:
Another super cool addition to your board quiver I think! But, I'll take you up on the $100 bet JP... LOL!

Be there or be square!

Gator

Let me know when you saved your pennies and can afford one...

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Last edited by J.P. on Mon Sep 22, 14 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 22, 14 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

keepgorgewindy wrote:
They seem like they can be super fast too. Are they going to use them in olympic racing, or, any racing? Reminds me of that super fast Oracle hydro kite boat in San Fran...

They are "super fast “ and it's the extra speed that creates the HUGE jump heights on what are mind boggling small kites.

Kite boarding jumps can be mathematically described, defined, solved etc. by 1st year high school level Physics. Speed plays a HUGE factor in that those equations.

I strongly encourage all to ignore the forum ass hat that are not foiling, Yo ass hat, who’s going to hold your $100 bet until it finds itself into my hands?

Foils are the new light wind and big air ride of choice by those who have figured it out.

Foils have all but made the race boards worthless and have destroyed that market.
If you’re looking to get into kite racing, check out the SanFran forums.
The boys down there have all switch over to foils and can not give them away....

IMHO, last years American cup with AC70 foils created the viral interest in all thing foiling and, sadly, we all in the old USofA are easily ~10 years behind the Euros when it comes to Foiling.

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Last edited by J.P. on Tue Sep 23, 14 6:35 am; edited 2 times in total

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 22, 14 3:35 pm     Reply with quote

lawnmower wrote:
should I get a Airush Sector 54

HAH!! You're funny... I just sold mine/yours Smile (on Ebay)

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 22, 14 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
I've only ridden really since june, but have spent considerable time on them./[/url]

Yeah but... Jim? Question: Your jibing skills are miles ahead of mine on the directionals. I'm wondering if this foil idea is hopeless for me until I've advanced the directional jibe talent further? I am now only %100 and smooth with Nick Ward 101 Jibe. Can a foil be for me? No tacks, very basic change of direction turns.
Strapless Kitesurfing 101: The Basics
http://vimeo.com/13593102

Last edited by wylieflyote on Mon Sep 22, 14 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 22, 14 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
stringy wrote:
I've only ridden really since june, but have spent considerable time on them./[/url]

Yeah but... Jim? Question: Your jibing skills are miles ahead of mine on the directionals. I'm wondering if this foil idea is hopeless for me until I've advanced the directional jibe talent further? I am now only %100 and smooth with Nick Ward 101 Jibe. Can a fold be for me? No tacks, very basic change of direction turns.
Strapless Kitesurfing 101: The Basics
http://vimeo.com/13593102

The cool thing about Stringy's beginner set up is that you can ride the board at non foil speed and still do tacks and jibes. I was able to complete a couple of non planing tacks. I was pleasantly surprised. Granted, I've only been once but I think if you can ride a surfboard competently, your good to go. There's only one way to find out.

dcfordo

Since 19 May 2011
60 Posts
The Dalles

PostMon Sep 22, 14 6:01 pm     Reply with quote

I can vouch for the Squamish guys. I was just up there last week to mt. bike and I scored a nice kite session as a bonus.

There were two guys there on foils boosting. As far as their level, they had planing duck tacks and knew what they were doing. There was a skilled fruit boot TT guy there doing mega-loops, and I would say the foil guys were going close to twice as high.

If I lived there, I would get one tomorrow. In the gorge, I am afraid I would break one tomorrow. Today I saw huge mats of vegetation, logs, vines, big fish jumping, plus the obvious rocks, stumps, sandbars that are always there.

P.S. It did look like they hadn't learned how to land gracefully. I figure it is tough to land well from that high on any board, and I doubt a high speed kite loop landing would ever go well with a foil Smile Maybe it's possible, but the learning curve would be disabling.

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 22, 14 7:24 pm     Reply with quote

It's possible.
http://youtu.be/K6Ru_OiOIPw

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 22, 14 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

Link

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 22, 14 9:15 pm     Reply with quote

hey kip I think if you can handle gybing your surfboard, you can do the same on a foilboard.
I will drop the board down to the water which is actually very easy to do, then shuffle my feet and make my transition, then bring it back up on a foil.
as for foiling in the gorge, yes it can be tricky especially with low water conditions, but once out in the middle of the river, not really an issue.

just so you know, adam koch won the big air event at lord of the winds last january riding a foilboard. not sure who he was competing against or what the conditions were like.
yeah send those squamish guys down here for next summer's huckfest and make believers out of all of us. shit maybe by next summer I will have bigger boosts on my foils than my TTs. for now I enjoy what each discipline offers.

to those wanting to foil on my board, feel free to send me a PM and maybe we can get you introduced to foiling before the seasons change.
then if you get foil fever, you can spend the winter saving your money and by spring you can have enough to afford a new foil board.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 23, 14 5:54 am     Reply with quote

foil-fest

JP
foil-fest

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Last edited by J.P. on Wed Sep 24, 14 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Sep 23, 14 3:55 pm     Reply with quote

F-One NW wrote:
It's possible.
http://youtu.be/K6Ru_OiOIPw

This scares me!

Link

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 24, 14 9:08 am     Reply with quote

hilton wrote:

This scares me!

That pretty much sums up how kiteboarding was viewed in its embryonic or pre-mainstream (1999-2005) stage of its life cycle.

I've heard it from many and am in concurrence that that kitefoiling is like: "Vuja day all over again" to those who were in the sport during its beginnings.

If you were not around during that time watch: UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e61HxV2Hquw to gain an understanding of those glory days!!!

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

bustingbladder

Since 12 Jul 2006
386 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 24, 14 10:38 am     Reply with quote

J.P. wrote:
Radvance will have a Notice of Race out shortly for a foil-fest on Lake Wa. We're targeting the 3rd week of October. The boys will be down from Squampton, Stringy, do consider being the pied piper and bring a crew up from down south.

There will be also Raceboard and Twin tip categories

Forum ass-hats like "Mr. Insti-Gator" need not show.
With all due respect you and your drama circus are not welcomed at the event and will not be allowed to race.

JP
Race director

Really JP? Interesting, being Adam and I just spoke in depth about what it will take to run the foil event. Liability is the main issue considering the nature of foil racing. This needs to be coordinated with Robin @ Urban Surf so as to ride on the shops liability insurance policy along with the school. And BTW, who appointmented you Race Director??????

We know your banned from PSkite and trying desperately to reinvent yourself. But, please keep the banter and personal attacks to a minimum. These folks know you as well on NWKite..

Love the foil idea, just not willing to pay the cash right now. They'll get cheaper as time rolls on!

Transcend Apparel http://www.transcendapparel.com/
Urban Surf http://www.urbansurf.com/
Alohabrothers Racing Oahu, HI

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 24, 14 11:25 am     Reply with quote

Great questions, Adam appointed me foil-fest facilitor, thanks for asking!

Foiling has without a doubt brought back my favorite memory of the earlier days of kiting. The people foiling are your early adopters, your trail blazers etc. I smile because I find myself amounsgt kindred spirits and the the company as people that were in the sport 1999-2003.

Mr. Insta-GaToR, while your uninformed, unexperienced opinions about foiling are all very entertaining, my labeling them uninformed and unexperienced is not a negative attack as you whine, it is a statement of fact that you have disclosed,

Love the foil idea, just not willing to pay the cash right now. They'll get cheaper as time rolls on!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this your signal that you plan to play the same game on NW as you did on PS?

http://pskite.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10322&hilit=moderation

HMMM????

Btw, I by no means am attempting to reinvent myself, I am making every effort to distance and eliminate my contact with you, Walter “Insta-GaToR” Young”.

To the NW community, my apologies for this ”OT” side track.
It is my sincere hope that the weight of ones sponsors eyeballs on their posts will help to amend the 'Insta-GaToR" style of posts. Time will tell.

Pray for wind & no Gator drama!!! Very Happy

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Last edited by J.P. on Wed Sep 24, 14 5:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 24, 14 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

Seems I was a tad off of line the vision... Embarassed Embarassed

Foil-fest WA 2014 is a grassroots invitational style event celebrating all things kitefoil and inline and homage of the first kiteboard socials documented in UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostThu Sep 25, 14 7:00 am     Reply with quote

up to the usual

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: