Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

good beginner spots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
nerdstomper

Since 10 Sep 2014
4 Posts

Kook

PostSun Sep 14, 14 8:40 am    good beginner spots Reply with quote

I've taken a few hours of lessons, and have been driving up to hood river every weekend with the hopes to practice waterstarts. However it seems hood river sometimes has no wind and i go to rooster instead. I end up way too far down wind too quickly at rooster due to current and wind direction and end up walking a ton. Are there other spots that are more beginner Friendly?

mxwllms

Since 26 Jul 2006
110 Posts
Boring, Or
Stoked

PostSun Sep 14, 14 10:40 am     Reply with quote

Rooster really is the best spot for easterly winds. Unfortunately until you get better at going upwind you will just have to do some walking in these conditions. My one piece of advice would be to walk to the far east end of rooster rock (it's a long walk) and stay in the shallow water upwind of the sand island. You can avoid some current there and you have lots of shallow water then when you are done you can do a downwinder back! Hope this helps. If not, there should be some more westerlies in hood river pretty soon. Good luck and have fun

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostMon Sep 15, 14 9:43 am     Reply with quote

I'm still just getting past the beginner stage myself so I can relate to struggling to stay upwind and doing a lot of walking. I've found that Hood River is actually one of the most consistent areas around for wind that is beginner friendly. Of course it has other issues that make it "challenging": crowds, gusty conditions and getting upwind of "the hole". I feel that learning how to deal with all that, however, is helping me become a stronger rider.
Other options are Jones Beach, which is VERY user friendly with a long sandy beach and nice side-onshore winds, but is not quite as consistent as HR and you have to consider the direction of the tide. The river actually flows upstream on an incoming tide!
Then there's Sauvie Island which seems to be even less consistent and less powerful...I have yet to ride there but it looks very nice.

So, there are a few options but finding wind is all about watching forecasts carefully and being at the right place at the right time. It can be very frustrating but well worth it....welcome to kiting! Good luck!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 15, 14 10:30 am    Rooster Reply with quote

Rooster has a nice long beach with relatively few obstacles. But it may not be a great beginner spot because:

1) Because of the current, if the wind isn't strong, it can be hard to stay up wind even for more advanced kiters

2) When the wind is strong, it can be VERY strong - Gusts pushing 40 mph are not good for beginners, because bad things can happen VERY quickly. The combo of poorly developed kite control reflexes and high wind speeds is not good.

I'm really not trying to sand-bag the east wind sites. There is a lot of room at rooster. But I think a session trying to learn to get up on the board on east wind there may be at best a waste of time. I would suggest you preferentially go to Floras Lake, Jones Beach or Event Site Sand Bar (in that order). If you must go out on easterlies, make sure the gusts aren't too strong.

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-27539.html&highlight=easties

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 15, 14 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

good beginner spots, sure

Hatteras, South Padre, La Ventana,
maybe the gorge with a west wind?

not much real help, i know Rolling Eyes

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostMon Sep 15, 14 3:01 pm    Floras best for beginners Reply with quote

My personal vote is Floras lake if you wanna stay within the state, otherwise all the spots you hear about....SoPadre, La Ventana.. got money? just pay for a Vela vacation (you won't find me there.. Razz ) But in terms of best bang for your buck in Oregon, nothing tops Floras as a beginner spot. Freshwater, knee to shoulder deep all the way across. Steady winds from 8-12m almost daily June-Sept with occasional high/low wind days. Cheap camping with a great vibe. Still need lessons? Best jet ski/radio helmet lessons I ever paid for. And then after I bought my own gear I went for a week and went away progressing further than ever. and being away from the gorge/portland it's peaceful and quiet. nothing beats seafood fresh from the ocean. and the ocean is there for kiting when you've graduated.

the only drawbacks are you can't reserve a campsite (which has never been a problem anyway). you should have a wetsuit (any thickness will do). it's relatively small lake so sorta short rides, but you'll get really good at transitions fast. if you can't stay upwind you end up walking a lot, so just learn to stay upwind. It can get crowded pretty fast... but I sware nobody goes at the sunset hour except the Brady's who know that's the time....

cheers!

p.s. world famous hot dogs too

<Wolverine>

Since 07 Jul 2013
71 Posts
PDX

PostMon Sep 15, 14 3:08 pm    The walk of shame Reply with quote

As far as the walk of shame, we have all been there. Whether it is at the sandbar with the eddies and black hole, not to mention, all the instructors during "prime time", or Rooster with the easterlies and current pushing you a bit faster then you'd like away from home base, nothing is perfect. Rooster has had some epic days over the past couple weeks and there is plenty of space to keep you out of harms way with traffic. You can't say that with the sandbar. If you live in Portland you can't beat how close Rooster is to get your fix with the easterlies setting in. If you have recently had lessons and are still stage one I would tell you to get in the water and practice any chance you get even if it means the inevitable walk. I know lessons are winding down a bit and have no idea if someone from H.R. might provide a jetski assist lesson at Rooster but you might try that or give Joe Mullens a call to help you progress. Don't miss out on great opportunities this fall because of the drift at Rooster and don't hesitate to ask some of the people that are there kiting. Most would be happy to give you some pointers.

nerdstomper

Since 10 Sep 2014
4 Posts

Kook

PostMon Sep 15, 14 3:56 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check out floras lake and Jones beach sometime. I've dealt with the sandbar crowds and can usually find a secluded section to practice. I only own a 10 abs 7m now so sauvies is out of the question. I'm 160lbs. I just don't want to travel that far and find out there is no wind. Will my current kites work with the normal wind conditions at floras and Jones? 146Cm tt board

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostMon Sep 15, 14 6:48 pm     Reply with quote

10m kite and 146 board for Jones sounds just about perfect to me for good day there. Enjoy!

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostTue Sep 16, 14 8:26 am    floras... Reply with quote

10m & 7m are just fine for Floras. you'd be riding all day with those. Sept starts to wind down with the daily action, but there will still be a number of days when it's good. with your close prox to rooster, jones, gorge I would concentrate there rest of the fall (as the other posters suggest). get a plan going next year for Floras anytime beginning in May, but if you want guarenteed check it out in July, it will blow daily for sure and you could not even check a forecast, show up ride... and it will still be blowing the day you leave. cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: