Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Mariana Islands / Guam?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostMon Aug 25, 14 11:23 am    Mariana Islands / Guam? Reply with quote

Has anyone kited here? I'm interested in Saipan specifically.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 25, 14 7:17 pm     Reply with quote

Saipan can be a lot of fun! You can search under my user name for my thread on Saipan. There is an island out in the lagoon that I had my best riding. You have to be careful about the tide; you REALLY don't want to get drug out over the reef. It's easy to get out to the island, several different options. I think windy season is winter/spring? I'm not really sure; it's been a while. Please post up your any more questions and your experience!

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostFri Aug 29, 14 10:34 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Nak. Nothing definite, but whenever it looks like work is going to put me in position for wind/water or snow I do a little project scoping...

beefcake

Since 11 Jul 2007
140 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Aug 29, 14 11:37 am    Guam Reply with quote

I lived and worked in Guam from 2003-2006. Never kited Saipan, but the windy season is the same. Nov-April, best winds are Dec-Feb, windward size is the west side of the islands. I remember never kiting below a 10m kite, 12-16m was the go to kite. Like NAK said be careful of tides/rips, each island is surrounded by a lagoon that can be shallow 1 foot in low tide to 6-12 feet deep at high tide. pay attention to the tide cycles. The reef is sharp, I wore booties. If you are a diver, check out the Grotto.

If you stop in Guam, best spot is Jeff's pirates Cove/Togcha Bay.

Here's a link to Guam site,
http://www.kiteboardingguam.com/

if you contact one of the locals (Dave San Augustin, first kiter on Guam, tell-em Dan said hello), I'm sure he/they can provide more info for Saipan and rest of the Mariana Islands.

beefcake

Since 11 Jul 2007
140 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Aug 29, 14 11:44 am    east side of islands Reply with quote

windward side is the east side, not the west, only kited a handful of times on the west side

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: