Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wunderbar Clean-up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 22, 14 8:07 am    Wunderbar Clean-up Reply with quote

Saturday Aug 23rd from 10-12 am, we will be doing a clean-up of the bar and river. The Columbia River Keepers will also be there to remove invasive weeds and brush. I have removed two 50 gallon drums with jagged edges and we will try to locate the 2 others. Also with the low river levels 3 more stumps have appeared and we will mark them with buoys. Also we will try to remove as many Punji Sticks as possible and deposit them up near the shore line. If you come down, wear your long wetsuit the river is 45 degrees, Brrrr.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 22, 14 11:46 am     Reply with quote

As an FYI - Moondog is a CGKA representative who has been personally(along with the help of other locals) doing monthly/weekly beach clean ups at Wunderbar and doing his best to be a polite beach/parking manager/host.

Please show your support for the Wunderbar, and help out John and others as they take advantage of the lowered water levels to accomplish removing as much of the dangerous metal and wood debris as they can around the launch area and shallower locations.

niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostSat Aug 23, 14 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

A small part of the junk dragged out of the water in front of the Wunderbar.

The metal barrels cut in half could have put a world of hurt if someone hit one. At last count there were 8 of these bad boys.

IMG_0435.jpg 
   IMG_0434.jpg 

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Aug 23, 14 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

niknas wrote:
A small part of the junk dragged out of the water in front of the Wunderbar.

The metal barrels cut in half could have put a world of hurt if someone hit one. At last count there were 8 of these bad boys.

Impressive clean up effort!!!!! Both Happy that this is clean up and a slight bit gutted at the thought of our having been kiting back and forth over this junk all season (ugh.....!)

Please pay respect when you can to these volunteers who cleaned up today.
They are the silent managers who are working to keep this launch safe, accessible and open for everyone to enjoy.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 23, 14 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks to the 10 volunteers that showed up this morning! Did some major removal of 8 stumps and marked 4 we couldn't move. Final count on the aorta ripping, gut dripping jagged metal drums was 12 of these bad boys. I can't believe anybody was sliced this year. Heads up: there are 5 stumps in the west bay that we didn't mark because it would have been full of buoys. Caution rules in the" Bay of Wunderbar"!

Saildoogie

Since 16 Oct 2013
77 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostSat Aug 23, 14 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It's much appreciated.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 23, 14 7:30 pm     Reply with quote

Side note: found someone's wedding band call me to identify 509-637-6043

rePete

Since 18 Dec 2007
215 Posts
Mosier, Oregon
Stoked

PostSun Aug 24, 14 6:39 am     Reply with quote

Thank you volunteers for your much appreciated efforts. We are fortunate to have a community of volunteers to help maintain our precious launch sites!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: