Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Baja report?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Dec 19, 06 9:21 am    Baja report? Reply with quote

I know a few folks are down in La Ventana... how's it been down there? All recovered from the hurricane?

niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostTue Dec 19, 06 6:16 pm     Reply with quote

Can't tell you about la Ventana, but things are petty much back to normal here Los Barriles.

Nik Very Happy

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Dec 19, 06 10:00 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Phil! How's the shoulder?

We got back from Las Ventana a couple of weeks ago... Everything seemed to be pretty normal. A little rebuilding going on yet, but nothing big that I noticed. The road from San Antonio was in pretty decent shape. There is some roadwork going on at the east end of the road; I think they're getting ready to start paving...

Nak

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Dec 20, 06 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:

We got back from Las Ventana a couple of weeks ago... Everything seemed to be pretty normal. A little rebuilding going on yet, but nothing big that I noticed. The road from San Antonio was in pretty decent shape. There is some roadwork going on at the east end of the road; I think they're getting ready to start paving...

Nak

Nak - would you recommend the San Antonio cutoff or the Todos Santos way from the airport?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Dec 20, 06 9:57 am     Reply with quote

Gman: Honestly, I've only been there the one time. We flew into Cabo; taking the San Antonio cutoff was a lot shorter than going up to La Paz. I'm not sure what the Todos Santos way is?

The San Antonio cutoff road was a little rough in spots, but nothing too bad. We were in a mid-size car, not an SUV. The washboard was a little uncomfortable, but on the flat, open, sections we drove fast enough to stay on top of the washboard.

Nak

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Dec 20, 06 10:17 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info - sounds fine - some one warned me off because of Hurricane damage (must be wrong).

Last year the road wasn't too bad but Kara was getting a bit worried we might get a blow-out and miss the plane. I was like buck up - we are going to be fine, when we crest a rise in the road and there are 20 guys with machine guns - "there are no Gorrillas in Baja Capt Ron!"

Stop us and then wave us through - Just some army guys on exercise -- but gets your heart going. Honey maybe you were right about the road - here you can hold the testicles.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Dec 20, 06 10:50 am     Reply with quote

There are some washouts that could be really bad news if you aren't paying attention, but that's true for the highway too!

A warning about a restaurant: There's a restaurant, everyone called it the "Round Restaurant" not really sure of the name. The Margaritas were $9 US EACH, and really bad to boot. (And small.) The food was not the greatest either. The owner's attitude seemed to be "Gringos will pay anything". Yeah, maybe. ONCE. It's on the beach side of the road, maybe a mile or so north of Baja Joe's? Some other Kiters were saying they used to be better. Anyways, I'd avoid them. Ringcon (spelling?) was great food and cheap drinks. (About 200 yards north of Baja Joe's.) I'm sure you're already aware of these places, thought I'd throw them in for others reading this...

When are you going? Have fun! Very Happy

Nak

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Dec 20, 06 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Like the Rincon - I think there rusted sign is the coolest - good food

We leave Friday!

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostWed Dec 20, 06 2:25 pm     Reply with quote

Geez I've got to drive from Cabo to La Ventana at night. I know you are not supposed to but my mom is coming down there and meeting me for xmas and she's not getting in until 9:30. Should I buy some pistolas in Cabo before I make the journey? :O)

Andy

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed Dec 20, 06 4:09 pm     Reply with quote

No need for the guns, but you may want to add a super sized cattle guard to the front of your rental car. I drove from La Ventana to Cabo in the late afternoon and had some very close calls with cattle and goats in the mountains just outside of La Ventana. There is no shoulder on the side of the road in the mountains and the cattle hang out right on the road.
Bandito

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Dec 20, 06 5:09 pm     Reply with quote

I agree. Cows are a big problem. They hang out in the road to warm themselves.

I had a near miss years ago. Shocked They are alot bigger looking at 60mph Shocked

www.naishkites.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Dec 20, 06 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

Here's some pics from our trip to Las Ventana. And yes, some Baja Road cows.

Baja Cows.jpg 
   Baja Joes Beach.jpg 
   Baja Joes Beach 1.jpg 
   Baja Joes Beach 2.jpg 
   Joanne and Penny.jpg 
   San Antonio Cutoff.jpg 
   Baja Kite Puppy.jpg 

niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostSat Dec 23, 06 4:22 pm     Reply with quote

Los Barriles, Today.

Nice. Very Happy

Merry Christmas,
Nik

Los Barriles Dec. 23 2006,
 Los Barriles Dec. 23 2006,  122306.jpg 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSat Dec 23, 06 6:28 pm    La Ventana Reply with quote

Nice first day. Ran into Tom & Roger at the Hot Springs - fun downwinder on the 7m.

Some pics

Sol Time.jpg 
   Nice view from the room.jpg 
   skim session.jpg 
   Roger.jpg 
Am I in Stevenson?
 Am I in Stevenson?  IMG_1398.jpg 

purdyd

Since 27 Nov 2006
41 Posts

PostSat Dec 23, 06 6:46 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:

Nak

local estimate is the san antonio los planes road will be paved, in about 5 years

the road is in average shape but.... they were running the grader on the way (Dec 4) out so i imagine it is in excellent shape now

9:30pm drive from Cabo to LV? I would NOT DO IT, spend the night in Cabo and drive up in the morning

there is a lot of things to run into on that road including cattle, goats, horses, etc.

it was the greenest i have ever seen it, more tropical and very hazy, almost humid and the water was warmer than normal but i see that has dropped closer to normal so maybe some better thermal winds in the offing

everything looked fine to me, i think the 2002? hurricane season was worse at least for the main road

the rincon lost their glass gazebo but were rebuilding

get on down there and enjoy the wind,

David

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostSat Dec 23, 06 7:36 pm     Reply with quote

Gman are you staying at pelican reef? that sol pic looks like from the second floor. we will be there next thurs. say high to vicky.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Dec 23, 06 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

Great pics! Man just two days ago you were in the frozen PacNW and now look at ya. Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: