Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

North Coast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
EG

Since 17 Aug 2014
2 Posts

PostSun Aug 17, 14 10:37 pm    North Coast Reply with quote

I'm spending the week in Seaside and looking to kite. Where should I head? Intermediate launch and conditions riding a twin tip.... Thanks!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Aug 18, 14 2:59 am     Reply with quote

EG, Manzanita will most likely be sailable every day and your best bet for sun. Looks like some swell in the forecast so you'll have some excitement!
Thumb's Up

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Aug 18, 14 6:57 am     Reply with quote

Thursday looks weak, but Manzo looks sailable the rest of the weekdays. Yes, some fun sized swell is forecasted with Tues being the tallest at 8'. If you have never sailable at Manzo, the beach is steep and so the waves ramp up and appear and break very quickly. It's nothing like sailing North on the Northern Strip. Also, if it is going to be blowing N/NW all week, that water is going to be nice and chilly as the winds and system bring down cooler waters from Alaska.

Enjoy!

EG

Since 17 Aug 2014
2 Posts

PostMon Aug 18, 14 9:46 am     Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks guys.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 18, 14 10:28 am    Manzanita Reply with quote

The beach at Manzanita is not steep but is perfect for learning the coast. Start in front of the Sunset Surf Motel. Often there are 15+ other kiters and you can arrange a 2 mile downwinder to the Nehalem State Park boat ramp parking lot. Most kiters will be on surfboards but I've had plenty of good days on twins. If you lose the board it will come in a couple hundred feet downwind within a few minutes.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Aug 18, 14 11:15 am    Re: Manzanita Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:
The beach at Manzanita is not steep but is perfect for learning the coast.

Macgruber: Not steep and great for learning. I see we do not see eye-to-eye again. . .

Up on the northern strip (Seaside 17 miles up to the South jetty of the Columbia), one can walk out into the water for hundreds of yards and maybe be up to their neck in water. That is because the beach is in essence a river delta and the beach is made up of the all the sediment from the Columbia. The sand is so much more course/aggregate is much bigger sand grains are darker in color than the fine golden sands you have at Manzanita. Secondly, one can speculate and pretty much discern the slope and topography of the underlining ocean floor from viewing/surveying the dry coast line. What does the Northern strip have? Probably 1 ½-2 1/2 miles of flat land before the coastal mtn range starts to ascend from the flat lands. Look what 100 years of deposits have done to Gearhart. The waterfront properties used to boarder the ocean; now the dunes and beach grass are anywhere from ¼ to 1/3 of a mile long before one hits the beach with no beach grass. And it continues to grow.

What does Manzo have? It's pretty much built/situated upon a hillside.
What happens when you walk out into the waters of Manzo? How far off the shoreline does one need to go before the water is over one's head? 20'? Sometimes 10'.
Are you familiar with the mathematical concept of rise over run?

The ocean floor at Manzo has a steeper slope than the beach on the Northern Strip.

So you’re wrong! Manzo is steep and that is why the waves form and break so quickly.

As for Manzo being a great place to learn. .I think you’re wrong as well. Strong winds and often times gusty winds in a crowded environment-sounds like a sweet place to learn to me; NOT. Throw in a steep beach, unpredictable waves, cold ass water, and some nasty rip currents and you have kitemare in the making for a newbie and or someone not familiar riding the ocean.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Good winds to all.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 19, 14 8:16 am     Reply with quote

Manzanita overhead at 10'? Never seen that in my 20 years there. More like a full line set (75'+). Wind 5-10 mph more than Seaside? Seen plenty of that. I haven't seen many overcrowded days either unless all you want to do is boost. I think coastal newbs should kite with others for safety.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue Aug 19, 14 8:47 am     Reply with quote

I am not a veteran like you guys - but I have gotten in about 20 sessions at Manzo this summer (my daughter got a job at the Sunset Surf this summer). Other summers I have gone to manzo and I have been hammered. Big waves, strong winds and wild conditions. This summer - Manzo has been pretty tame. I have flown my 12 meter a lot this summer and mostly baby ankle biter waves every time I have been out. There have only been a couple of sessions where I had to break out the 6 meter. Manzo does have the potential for very unfriendly beginner conditions - but this summer it has seemed very beginner friendly.

Sure Manzo doesn't stay shallow as far out as north coast - but I wouldn't call is a "steep" beach. Now the beach on the other side of Floras lake - that is a steep beach. Take 5 steps and you are under water.

North coast is definitely an easier and more mellow spot, but my biggest kite is a 12, and I have been skunked too many times at Sunset beach with the wind not being strong enough - so I tend to hit Manzo more often. Just my 2 cents

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 19, 14 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Ditto Blaze. Not as easy as Whiskey Run, but still a good entry spot on the right day with your peeps standby.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Aug 19, 14 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Blazeheliski wrote:
but this summer it has seemed very beginner friendly.

This years weather has been atypical. . .smaller swell and lighter winds.

When I was talking about crowds I was talking about all the non-kiters on the beach on the North end of town where most kiters rig and launch.

If you're going to learn at Manzo, best to go down south of the State park day use entry where really no one is on the beach and the wind is more filled in (farther away from the mountain shadow; when winds are more N than NW).

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue Aug 19, 14 10:22 am     Reply with quote

That makes sense Smile

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 19, 14 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Ditto. If you are learning, please go downwind away from the crowds on the beach and water. Two days ago a kiter was getting dragged down the beach, hats off to the Rasta dude that tackled his kite before he got dragged through the beach crowd where he was heading.

I've been using my small kites (5,6,7) a lot recently and waves are definately big enough to shred most kites now, it's not that friendly of a place, but yes, on those 12m days with small waves at high tide, it's a great place to learn. But please have consideration for everyone else, when it's blowing 6m, using a 10m kite because it's all you have is DANGEROUS.

Yesterday I came close to hitting a floating twin-tip in the waves, no one was even looking for the board. And I'm aware of where the crab trap floats are, not sure any beginner is going to be aware of these hazards until it's too late.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Aug 21, 14 7:05 am     Reply with quote

jeremy wrote:
And I'm aware of where the crab trap floats are, not sure any beginner is going to be aware of these hazards until it's too late.

So I know of a few crab trap floats out there in the waters. Most of them reside pretty far out (at least a 3/4 of a mile or more). You have to do one of those Hunt for Red October Crazy Ivan tacks way out to sea to encounter those. I'd hope a newbie would have the smarts (instinct) not to be going out that far.

*crazy Gman tack and Crazy Ivan tack are interchangeable.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
98 Posts

PostThu Aug 21, 14 8:25 am     Reply with quote

Hi eg
I am in seaside with my family. ..Staying at the lanai. Going to check manzo today. You been out yet?

Pm me or email if you want to touch base. ..maybe car pool one afternoon.

John from sooke / juandesooka at Gmail dot com

Ps sounds like today may be iffy fro reading posts above....but I have the 17m solution if need be....jonesing to get out there!

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 21, 14 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

nope, 3 are actually in the surf zone (outer break). 1 in front of the huge glass front house and 2 in front of the blue roof house. I've pestered everyone I know with a SUP to go out and cut them, but no luck, they've been there all summer.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostThu Aug 21, 14 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

I have been using them as markers all summer. They let me know my relative position on the way out, and Sunset Surf is my marker coming back in. Of course, I make sure not to get too close or do any jumping anywhere near them. All the threads about people getting stuck on buoys has me spooked about floats, buoys, logs, or any other objects ............. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: