Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

CGKA - Notice Enforcement of Parking next to Event Site
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 12, 14 4:07 pm    CGKA - Notice Enforcement of Parking next to Event Site Reply with quote

It was brought to our attention recently that the Port of Hood River will begin directly enforcing the 90 minute parking time limit on vehicles parked in the 90min (green painted) parking zones or the No Parking zones. (Portway Avenue and 1st St).
Vehicles that are caught in violation will be towed or ticketed (it has not been made clear to us the level of enforcement just yet, but it will be on this level now, no more warnings)
For the past two weeks the Port has been leaving warning notices on vehicles about the time limits to help spread the word on this enforcement policy.

These zones have always been either no parking or limited timeline parking areas and this enforcement is meant to help control the situation.

In the near future, these areas will be experiencing some user access changes as the Nichols Boat Basin park/trail development plans come to fruition this Fall and Winter.
As a result there will be some definitive parking improvements and changes along these outer perimeter roads. This will enhance the parking/water access for SUP'ers and hopefully alleviate some of the parking and mixed user congestion at the Event Site.

lldkr

Since 01 Jun 2012
47 Posts

PostWed Aug 13, 14 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

So where to park if you don't have an event site parking pass? Nichols basin gravel lot? West of ES side street (Portway ave)?

Surely I'm a step behind here but why don't they open the big empty lot south of the ES for parking?

abkite

Since 25 Jun 2011
27 Posts

PostWed Aug 13, 14 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

The event site parking is not exclusive to cars that hold a parking pass. You can still park there, it's just $5 each day. There are very few launches that are convent and free. But if you do want free parking I believe that the sand bar parking is still free but it only has an out house and a long walk to get to the West side of the sand bar.

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostWed Aug 13, 14 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

the CGKA needs to buy the ES and make parking free for it's members! Very Happy

why not... the pole-dancers bought the hatchery... we can do better than that

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 13, 14 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

JeffT wrote:
the CGKA needs to buy the ES and make parking free for it's members! Very Happy

why not... the pole-dancers bought the hatchery... we can do better than that

I heard they purchased Swell, which is private property... Hatchery too? Doesn't it belong to Wa State?
http://www.parks.wa.gov/587/Spring-Creek-Hatchery

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 13, 14 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe it's because I live here and get a lot of use out of it, but I think my annual ES park pass is a good deal. Green lawn, bathrooms, drinking fountain, concessions, hose to rinse off, 20 second walk to launch, Park Hosts who keep the place clean, and keep their eye out...

I pay it happily.

Eric
Hood River

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostWed Aug 13, 14 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

You're right, Kip. It was Swell.. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/what-we-do/what-we-are-working-on-now/swell-city/

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 13, 14 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

with all the costs of kiting, an annual pass seems reasonable.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Aug 14, 14 6:30 am     Reply with quote

If you can afford kite gear, you ought to be able to afford to pay to park at the Event Site. When you buy your season pass, be sure to check the box that says you are a kiter. Its a great way to show that you support continued kite access at the Event Site.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 14, 14 6:47 am     Reply with quote

^^^
"When you buy your season pass, be sure to check the box that says you are a kiter. Its a great way to show that you support continued kite access at the Event Site."

Indeed!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Aug 14, 14 8:33 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Maybe it's because I live here and get a lot of use out of it, but I think my annual ES park pass is a good deal. Green lawn, bathrooms, drinking fountain, concessions, hose to rinse off, 20 second walk to launch, Park Hosts who keep the place clean, and keep their eye out...

I pay it happily.

Eric
Hood River

+1 Thumb's Up Plus it's a "base camp" for the family as they walk down to Kids Beach so for $50 a year, even if you're a weekend warrior, the convenience does pays for itself. Or, the Spit as the "free" option is also pretty cool and always a fun kite vibe.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 14, 14 10:08 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

The Event Site is a pretty nice location with a lot of amenities that cost money to maintain.
If you want to seek free parking and no crowds, then the SandSpit and Marina Beach are awesome spots to have as alternate options, especially for those of you looking for buttery flatwater conditions below the sandbar.

skent

Since 08 Aug 2011
170 Posts
North Bend, WA & Lyle, WA
Stoked

PostThu Aug 14, 14 10:56 am     Reply with quote

The Event Site pass is totally worth it, especially if you buy it early for the reduced price. Free is great but not if it means no or poorly maintained facilities. I don't mind paying the fee to help maintain the facilities. Someone has to pay for the up keep.

CGKA Member

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 14, 14 11:22 am    I have a pass Reply with quote

and the ES lot is full, now where do I park? Confused

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 14, 14 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

skent wrote:
The Event Site pass is totally worth it, especially if you buy it early for the reduced price. Free is great but not if it means no or poorly maintained facilities. I don't mind paying the fee to help maintain the facilities. Someone has to pay for the up keep.

Totally agree. Got to see this in action earlier this season when a bunch of us kited at the "Marina Park" or whatever its called by the PDX Airport... I'd been there a few years back; you had to park your car out of sight by airport, cross the busy road and hoof it up the hill and down to the beach. Last time back, paved parking area right by the water & launch area, nice bathrooms, beach cleaned up (though there's still lots of glass)... totally worth the $5 parking fee.

Jeff, if it makes you feel any better, yes, the CGWA bought Swell, but last I heard they are still charging to park there.

beefcake

Since 11 Jul 2007
140 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 14, 14 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

Second what HRnico said, this happened to me last year, showed up with my pass and parking lot full, I was left to find my own parking. Problem is they sell day passes and it's first come first serve, with more people getting passes this issue has to be worked out, the port has to increase parking or not sell day passes or just not on weekends.
If everyone with a parking pass shows up on a Saturday there is not enough parking.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 14, 14 5:10 pm     Reply with quote

When full, it has been my experience that they drop the chain on the dirt lot, and it's free parking for all at that point.

Your point, however, is a good one The Port would be wise to plan for additional parking. There has been an exponential rise in the number of ES users: kiters, SUPers and beach goers. Of course additional parking will require additional money, meaning it's important for folks to continue to buy passes to justify expansion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: