Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

ES/Sandbar chaos
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostFri Aug 08, 14 7:45 am     Reply with quote

Be patient. These are our next gen kiters in the making Wink

Just be sure to kindly ask them to stay out of the traffic paths if they are in the way. Don't just ignore them.

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostFri Aug 08, 14 7:51 am    kiting through east jetty to sand bar cafe Reply with quote

Speaking of danger issues. Kiting through east jetty to the sand bar cafe. Even though there are signs up say no swimming,people play in the water. We should not be kiting through there. On sunday a girl was doing duck dives when a kiter came by as her head pops up two feet from his board. He had no idea she was under the water. JUST A MATTER OF TIME TIL SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS! THANK YOU BE SAFE.

MarkWorth

Since 02 May 2011
149 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostFri Aug 08, 14 8:03 am     Reply with quote

The port spent many millions of dollars of public funds on condemning roads and private lands to increase the safety area at the airport over the last 3 years. Families are not welcome on the runway or the safety area at the airport.

Providing a safety area for kiter's would be mean and selfish right?

http://gorgekiteboardschool.com

PieroPDX

Since 22 May 2006
109 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Aug 08, 14 11:01 am     Reply with quote

It blows my MIND, that there is no adherence or enforcement of the sign on that ES tree. The negligence of the Port on this issue will eventually end horribly, I fear. Sad

its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostFri Aug 08, 14 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

It's funny how some people complain about what they have to put up with on and around the event site, like its a public beach or something. My family has been kiting there for a few years, and using it before kiting was even a sport. I bring my now 4 & 6 y/o out when sand isn't kicking up. My kids have been on the beach watching us kite from infants 6 months old, they are stoked to learn someday.
If you are new or old in the sport and need/ require open space free of kooks or pros it's not going to be found on the sand bar. Whenever people tell me the place is dangerous for my kids I just smile and say have fun out there!
When people stand in the path we cross over to access the sand bar just have smile on you face and say I'm trying not to bump ya,but it's a big kite! People move it works! 1 question. The baby carriage was on wheels & easily moved ya? Lol
Oh, also. I have a huge unleashed dog that craps everywhere!
Laughing

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Aug 08, 14 3:28 pm     Reply with quote

its_kite:30 wrote:
. I have a huge unleashed dog that craps everywhere!
Laughing

Oh shit Laughing Shocked Laughing

Its that time of year again - you just unleashed the flying monkeys of nwkite threads!!!

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostFri Aug 08, 14 10:07 pm     Reply with quote

Link

AC

Since 04 Jul 2012
66 Posts

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 10, 14 8:01 am     Reply with quote

I don't understand why more non-wind athletes aren't gravitating towards our wonderful, new Waterfront Park to the West of the ES? Great launch for non kiters, a safe roped off swimming zone, beaches, play areas, grassy lawn, bathrooms, all just a few hundred yards down the road. The curious can also see all the action out on the river, including those riding/boosting at the WS bridge. My guess is most visitors just don't know about this spot. Can we have a Port/City/CGKA rep, out on busy days at ES, telling families and tourists that they might want to check out this amazing new park right down the road? Can the people manning the ES parking kiosk tell visitors about WP? Sometimes, when I'm walking with my kite through the melee at ES/sandbar, I politely ask parents if they know about Waterfront Park. So far, they've all been grateful that I shared with them information on this nearby gem.

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostSun Aug 10, 14 8:26 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
My guess is most visitors just don't know about this spot.

ditto

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 10, 14 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

AC wrote:
My guess is most visitors just don't know about this spot. Can we have a Port/City/CGKA rep, out on busy days at ES, telling families and tourists that they might want to check out this amazing new park right down the road?
Bingo! Fantastic post btw.

Pepi, please distribute AC's post to your fellow Port Committee members at the next meeting. Or, better yet, send them a copy right now! Brilliant observation and suggestion!

Thank goodness this is the last weekend for the "Dino Train"!

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 12, 14 12:34 pm    Today's history lesson Reply with quote

The Waterfront Park is owned by the city and maintained by the WCPA using grants and donations from people like me and you (http://hoodriverwaterfront.org). It used to be owned by the Port but they graciously (sarcasm) agreed to deed it to the city for public use instead of selling it to a Bend developer.

Ooh... 666 posts! Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: