Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

ES/Sandbar chaos
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 07, 14 7:47 am    ES/Sandbar chaos Reply with quote

Responding to Pepi's post on the "Blonde Mike from Hood River" thread:
Pepi wrote:
This time of year gets crazy busy at the Sandbar and Event Site launches, so busy that I am always surprised each year that we do not have more incidents or accidents.
I am on the Port of HR Waterfront Rec Committee as one of the two acting representative for the kite community and dealing with the safety and congestion issues at these launches is always our priority each year.

The ES/Sandbar was beyond "crazy busy" last Sunday 08/03. I felt like a fool for even being there - an absolute comedy of chaos. I actually dragged my kite over a baby carriage (with the baby in it and no parent in sight!) and then had to negotiate my way through a bunch of little kids playing on SUPs as I waded across to the sandbar - insane! Then almost stumbled over several kayaks on the beach and walked around a Hobie-Cat. Of course, all the while dodging other kiters landing and launching kites all over the place. Business as usual.

Oh, did I mention the two tour buses disgorging hoards of tourists the prior weekend? The ES is now a tourist destination - not just for kiters and windsurfers. (No, I'm not suggesting that all non-kiters/WSers be banned from the ES).

I know none of this is news to anyone who has visited the ES on a summer weekend - but it's a disaster waiting to happen. The Waterfront Rec Committee is surely aware of all this and probably has no idea what to do about it (and neither do I). I just hope our luck holds and nothing horrible happens to anyone at the ES/Sandbar. Lord help us.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Aug 07, 14 8:03 am     Reply with quote

+2 for a baby carriage Thumb's Up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 07, 14 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Very true, I was horrified by the way that Hobbie-Cat "parked" on the beach. I've been a sailor myself for last 15 years and going full throttle downwind towards the beach full of people and kites is not a way to park your boat - it's amazing there was no damage to anyone or any kites.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Aug 07, 14 8:59 am     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
+2 for a baby carriage Thumb's Up
So funny. Very Happy

Our colored kites in the water attract tourists like moths to a street light. I walk from the ES to the Sandbar almost everyday and while you have to dodge a few kids and tourists who have no clue it's just part of the experience. Be patient, smile and give way.

You can tell the new visitors are a bit stressed about it but the Sandbar is huge so walk the extra minute further North and find your spot. If you need a launch speak up. If you see a kiter standing like a deer in the headlights...ask him if he wants a launch. If Hurricane is doing strapless backrolls....give him a high five and tell him to rock on....but only if he lands it! Smile

Pepi is absolutely correct that considering the amount of traffic there are no major accidents or incidents but the system works. It's not perfect, but it does improve year over year and if it's a bit "insane" for you I politely suggest go someplace else like Rowena and kite alone in privacy as you do have options to fit all comfort levels.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 07, 14 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Sunday was busy, on and off the water.

as for the bus loads of tourists, I think this is just another impetus to finally build on Lot #1 and create more things for tourists to do. Sure, they will still head to the event site, but if the West Edge trail on Nichols basin is completed, I'm sure many of them would spend time over there preferring to be out of the wind.

It would also be great to see more bathrooms around. Last week a bus full of kids showed up and had a line occupying the bathrooms for 20 minutes.

Last edited by ShiverMeTimbers on Thu Aug 07, 14 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 07, 14 9:03 am     Reply with quote

and dont attack a popular kid on this forum because it is very junior high here....

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 07, 14 9:25 am     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
Pepi is absolutely correct that considering the amount of traffic there are no major accidents or incidents but the system works. It's not perfect, but it does improve year over year and if it's a bit "insane" for you I politely suggest go someplace else like Rowena and kite alone in privacy as you do have options to fit all comfort levels.
Trust me, when it's windy out east, I'm there - Rufus rocks!

Dave-o-matic

Since 26 Sep 2013
12 Posts
hood river

PostThu Aug 07, 14 9:35 am     Reply with quote

it is just crazy out there. yesterday i saw a guy with his 2 pre-school age kids hot launch his kite right over their heads. luckily they were able to duck under the lines. i about shit myself. Would be nice if there was some signage warning of the dangers of out of control kites.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Aug 07, 14 9:45 am     Reply with quote

unbob wrote:
Trust me, when it's windy out east, I'm there - Rufus rocks!

Rufus is so good with that sweet sweet swell. Thumb's Up

quenyaistar wrote:
and dont attack a popular kid on this forum because it is very junior high here....

Oh come on......it's a kite forum and you have to admit the dude's post was over the top with harshness for a fairly benign issue. If the guys "AlterEgo" is to be a dick...he nailed it. The kiter in question is well known, which makes it even funnier, but the OP was going to get push back for the positioning no matter who was flying the kite.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 07, 14 10:19 am    more things to do Reply with quote

ShiverMeTimbers wrote:
Sunday was busy, on and off the water.

as for the bus loads of tourists, I think this is just another impetus to finally build on Lot #1 and create more things for tourists to do. Sure, they will still head to the event site, but if the West Edge trail on Nichols basin is completed, I'm sure many of them would spend time over there preferring to be out of the wind.

It would also be great to see more bathrooms around. Last week a bus full of kids showed up and had a line occupying the bathrooms for 20 minutes.

Hey kids I have a keen idea. Let's put on a show and raise some money and BUILD A CABLE PARK IN NICHOLL'S BASIN.

wHADDYA THINK , SKIPPY?????

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 07, 14 10:32 am     Reply with quote

From what I understand, the cable park idea failed because it wanted to use the entire basin (is that correct?). If they had proposed to use just the east side, that probably would be an easier sell.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 07, 14 7:44 pm     Reply with quote

ShiverMeTimbers wrote:
From what I understand, the cable park idea failed because it wanted to use the entire basin (is that correct?). If they had proposed to use just the east side, that probably would be an easier sell.

Nope, the cable park was only going to take up slightly more than half the basin, about where the boat launch is/used to be in the gravel pit.

The problem apparently is that it is classified as a navigable waterway for some reason, even though it is obviously not. Oh yeah and the enemies of hood river are total bags.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 07, 14 8:30 pm    Re: ES/Sandbar chaos Reply with quote

Unbob :

I totally feel your pain on all points, especially the Mom and toddlers blockade that has become common in the middle of the sandbar pathway.
We repeatedly bring this up at the Port meetings, but is just seems to slide by the wayside each year.

I think it would make a great deal of difference if each and everyone who has some concerns about these congestion issues were to just take 5 minutes to write and submit an email to the Port of Hood River.

http://www.portofhoodriver.com/talk_to_the_port.php

unbob wrote:

The ES/Sandbar was beyond "crazy busy" last Sunday 08/03. I felt like a fool for even being there - an absolute comedy of chaos. I actually dragged my kite over a baby carriage (with the baby in it and no parent in sight!) and then had to negotiate my way through a bunch of little kids playing on SUPs as I waded across to the sandbar - insane! Then almost stumbled over several kayaks on the beach and walked around a Hobie-Cat. Of course, all the while dodging other kiters landing and launching kites all over the place. Business as usual.

Oh, did I mention the two tour buses disgorging hoards of tourists the prior weekend? The ES is now a tourist destination - not just for kiters and windsurfers. (No, I'm not suggesting that all non-kiters/WSers be banned from the ES).

I know none of this is news to anyone who has visited the ES on a summer weekend - but it's a disaster waiting to happen. The Waterfront Rec Committee is surely aware of all this and probably has no idea what to do about it (and neither do I). I just hope our luck holds and nothing horrible happens to anyone at the ES/Sandbar. Lord help us.

www.Purestokesports.com

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Aug 07, 14 8:41 pm    Re: ES/Sandbar chaos Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
I totally feel your pain on all points, especially the Mom and toddlers blockade that has become common in the middle of the sandbar pathway.

I blame the Dinosaur Train (and hot weather) for all the families and kids down there last weekend (and again this weekend).

http://www.mthoodrr.com/dinotrain/#about

Things should improve greatly once school is back in session.

event site aug 3.jpg 

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Aug 08, 14 5:44 am     Reply with quote

ground zero kite nirvana has its price.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 08, 14 7:24 am    Re: ES/Sandbar chaos Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
Unbob :

We repeatedly bring this up at the Port meetings, but is just seems to slide by the wayside each year.
I'll bet a mega-million $$$ lawsuit resulting from a tourist serious injury or death would get their attention! Sincerely hope that never happens.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 08, 14 7:30 am    Re: ES/Sandbar chaos Reply with quote

hilton wrote:

I blame the Dinosaur Train (and hot weather) for all the families and kids down there last weekend (and again this weekend).

http://www.mthoodrr.com/dinotrain/#about

Things should improve greatly once school is back in session.
Looks like we've got one more weekend of ES "Dinosaur Train" madness starting today - Aug 8-10. Don't look for me - I won't be there!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: