Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite Recommendations with lower required psi
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostThu Aug 07, 14 11:30 am     Reply with quote

You are correct! a smaller kite needs more pressure than a larger kite (in the same line). Take Naish's kite manual for reference. They document:
• 3m through 7m kites require a maximum of 8.5 psi or .57 mPa
• 8m through 11m kites require a maximum of 7.5 psi or .51 mPa
• 12m through 15m kites require a maximum of 6.5 psi or .44 mPa

Pressure gauges for your pump are not that expensive. Get one.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 07, 14 11:32 am    wtf Reply with quote

If your girlfriend is pumping her kite up to 10 lbs, then you are dating Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson.

I got a fancy Tesla pump, and an actual 8 lbs kinda scares me. As hard as you can pump with a standard pump (around 7 psi) this electric will always put more. (Those little gauges on the pump are worthless). Most any new kite should take 9 lbs, but any defect will make it liable to blow (I hate when that happens!)

I can tell a big difference in performance between 7 and 8 lbs, (the Rally is particularly sensitive to pressure being a flat shape with reduced diameter wingtips)

I'm spoiled by the consistent properly inflated kite the electric gives me, but they are a pain in the ass to maintain, charging, etc., but never a pain in my bad shoulder. That alone made it a good investment for me.

CORRECTION: I see by the above post that I am putting 7.5 in my 10m Rally.That is super rock hard and I doubt the Rock could do it manually. I'm not near as burly as Dyylan, so manually I doubt I hit it to much over 6 psi. Flies kinda crappy at 6, flies like am Eagle @ 7.5 I'm gonna bump it up to 8 and see if its any different. Right now!

Last edited by dangler on Thu Aug 07, 14 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Aug 07, 14 11:49 am     Reply with quote

LOL Dangler!!!! I was really puzzled by the 10psi reference as well... Thanks for clarifying that one for us...

I have one of these little worthless gauges and the issue that I have with it is that I can't seem to know what reading I should trust during the pumping... When I pump (during the strike) the gauge will show a max reading and then settle for a lower reading (when I stop pumping)... So which one to use? The "during the strike" or the "at rest" reading... That's why I don't really use my gauge anymore and was asking about the qualitative test of pressure... bringing the kite at pressure with a gauge but finishing up with a qualitative check...

Any tips welcome.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Aug 07, 14 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

Ping tight, rock hard. All by hand and touch.

Those small cheap pump gauges are all over the place and Dangler is spot on about the Ralley's needing to be pumped very tight.

Most of the people I run across in the river who are struggling to relaunch don't have enough air in their kite as they tug and pull on one big wet noodle.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 07, 14 12:39 pm    HEY BUDDY, KEEP IT P.G. Reply with quote

tug and pull on one big wet noodle. Embarassed

KCM

Since 30 Jun 2013
53 Posts
Woodland WA.

PostThu Aug 07, 14 12:42 pm    Pumping Reply with quote

My Airush says 9PSI on the leading edge and came with a pump and gauge. I usually know without looking when I'm at 9psi because I'm exhausted. Fortunately, the last few months at Sauvies I've been pumping my 14M Blade until exhaustion and now feel like I'm in mid-season form; I feel only moderate hernia, back, knee and general joint pain.
The key for me will be to keep manually pumping throughout the entire year so I stay in shape and don't have hernia/back/knee strain again next spring! Keep on pumping!

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu Aug 07, 14 4:30 pm    Re: HEY BUDDY, KEEP IT P.G. Reply with quote

dangler wrote:
tug and pull on one big wet noodle. Embarassed

Bwahahaaa!!!

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 07, 14 6:20 pm     Reply with quote

It could be more like 8 psi but thats not really the point. There is no way 6 is enough on big kites, they will fold in half quick especially when they hit the cold water.

And dangler where is that old man strength? I would think at that age you would easily be able to get 8+psi in your kites Laughing Laughing

But seriously pump that shit up tight.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 07, 14 7:15 pm     Reply with quote

Caution and Boardridingmaui are worth a demo.
-Minus Vote for Wainman: I only like Wainman's pumped up hard.
Old c-kites work fine too.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostFri Aug 08, 14 8:01 am    Caution PSI Reply with quote

sfbomber - you are correct. Caution calls for no more than 6 psi in their kites. (refer the top of page 3)

http://www.cautionkites.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2014_KITE_MANUAL.pdf

I have no idea what I pump mine to. I use the 'flick' test and when it sounds right (high pitch ping) its done. I will say there is a significant difference between almost pumped enough compared to just a few more pumps.

I weigh 145 and have no problem getting enough pressure in my kites.

caps - I will be riding at the south jetty in Newport this weekend if you want to give em a try Very Happy

rtz

Since 12 May 2013
7 Posts

Kook

PostTue Aug 12, 14 6:43 pm     Reply with quote

Tolerant of Sub-spec Inflation:

"2015 Rebels work best when inflated to 6psi, but they still work fine at 5 or 4psi. By contrast, many kites on the market these days need 8 or 10 psi to fly correctly."

http://www.powerkiteshop.com/kites/northrebel07.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: