Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite Recommendations with lower required psi
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 04, 14 7:31 am    Kite Recommendations with lower required psi Reply with quote

I currently have a quiver of kites from a local company that are nearing the end and need replacement. The one problem with them is the high psi required to fly them. The other problem, the current models have changed over the years to something else... My wife and daughter simply don't have the power/weight to do the final few pumps. What kites are out there to demo that are high performance kites for surf, freeride and the occasional freestyle but can perform with a lower psi? And please don't recommend electric pumps. I want these girls to be self-sufficient so they can go shred together without more gear to schlep around! But also a kite that will satisfy the more high performance oriented male ego, me. And this doesn't need to descend into the taboo kite-vs-kite discussions, just kites that perform at a lower psi. Thanks all!

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostMon Aug 04, 14 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Just get kites from one of the companies with the larger inflation valves. They are super easy to inflate even on the final pumps. I know LF, cabrinha, others have the larger valves. I think airush is also doing a larger valve this year. I don't think you want to be flying kites that have lower psi, i.e. underinflated = not good!

bdennis

Since 01 Jun 2007
50 Posts

PostMon Aug 04, 14 7:58 am     Reply with quote

pumps for inflatable SUPs have a smaller cross sectional area and therefore deliver the same pressure with less weight. I wouldn't let pump limitations dictate which kites you get. Just get the right pump for your weight/strength. The rafting industry has way better pumps than the POS's you get in the kite industry.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Aug 04, 14 8:04 am     Reply with quote

You could get them foils! Smile

Don't think any inflatables are designed to required less PSI.

The wide inflation valves help a lot and make sure your pump shaft is lubed. I have not found a liquid lube that works well for very long before getting gunked up.

Gman turned me onto the graphite powder...it's the way to go.

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostMon Aug 04, 14 8:30 am     Reply with quote

You could also modify a pump and take out the up-stroke valve so that it only pumps on the down stroke for them.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4200 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 04, 14 9:38 am     Reply with quote

JeffT wrote:
You could also modify a pump and take out the up-stroke valve so that it only pumps on the down stroke for them.

Great advice. This is really easy to do. Just unscrew the top--you may need a pipe wrench the first time--pull off the top flexible rubber seal and re-assemble. This makes it so much easier to pump up a kite.

bdennis wrote:
pumps for inflatable SUPs have a smaller cross sectional area and therefore deliver the same pressure with less weight.

Also great advice. I haven't tried one yet, but everyone I see with one loves 'em.

Wind Slither wrote:
...make sure your pump shaft is lubed. I have not found a liquid lube that works well for very long before getting gunked up.

Gman turned me onto the graphite powder...it's the way to go.

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 04, 14 10:33 am     Reply with quote

Excellent feedback so far. All helpful and will be utilized. My daughter is 110# though. My kites need 10psi+. In a brief search, it sounds like a switchblade requires just 8psi. Others?

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 04, 14 10:55 am     Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing they really need 10psi anyway, though the gauge may indicate that much.
But another way to look at it is just look at the factors that require more psi:
Smaller LE size
Bridle but not much of one
Flat arc to canopy
Lots of sweep to wingtips
Smaller tube diameter at tips

and factors that require less psi:
big fat LE (still takes a lot of pumping though)
bridle with more connection points (or no bridle, as in C kite)
more C shape
Less sweep to tips
Fatter tube at wingtips

Between kites and brands these factors' influences trade back and forth so looking at any one design aspect is not going to give an answer. You have to try them!

The big, Boston-type inflate valves do the most to make it easy imho.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostMon Aug 04, 14 11:25 am     Reply with quote

I've flown F-1 bandits around 8psi and they seem to fly fine. Hit up Kochease, he can hook you up with a demo of the bandits pumped up to 8 psi.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 05, 14 3:49 am     Reply with quote

If you cant pump your kite up to around 10 psi by yourself go do some pushups. My girlfriend weighs about 100 lbs and she can do it, so i think you can figure it out.

And your point about kites needing less psi is uninformed, if anything newer kites need more psi because of how skinny the leading edges are getting these days.

Windance has a pretty sweet electric pump that you can carry around with you pretty easily, and those SUP pumps are getting more popular as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostTue Aug 05, 14 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

I think if I were to alter a pump I would have it working on the pull stroke rather than pushing down, people can pull more safely with their legs than with weight and arm strength.
As a father I will tell my daughter/son to try and pump it up the best she/he and when she/he is no longer safely able to handle the weight simply ask for help. I ask my wife to just get it to 5psi and I will do the rest I have 40 lbs on her and it is just easier for me so there is no need for her to struggle just to do it.
I can't think of anyone who wouldn't help someones kid or wife that was struggling to get out on the water with a fully inflated kite.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 05, 14 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I think if I were to alter a pump I would have it working on the pull stroke rather than pushing down, people can pull more safely with their legs than with weight and arm strength.

actually, strap the pump to your forehead, even better....

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 06, 14 9:06 am     Reply with quote

How do the North kites fly at 8psi? Ocean Rodeo Razor? For my kites, if I don't crush in the last 4-6 pumps and make it rock hard, I notice a definite drop in performance. And despite how strong my daughter is, she doesn't have the body weight to do it. We may just go with an sup pump and call it good.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Aug 06, 14 9:16 am     Reply with quote

caps wrote:
We may just go with an sup pump and call it good.

My experience with SUP pumps is that they pump going down (but not when you pull up). If you are a lightweight it is difficult to get enough weight to push down. Easier to pull up because you can use your leg strength.

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 07, 14 8:43 am     Reply with quote

the wider the LE diameter and more arched the LE shape, the less PSI required for rigidity. (generally)

so maybe wainman, older evo, core whatever their delta is,

this is a weird topic tho ... pump em hard for best performace. electric pumps available you can set the PSI on and have kite pumped as fast or faster than you can do it by hand

bravo kite pumps (probably others by now)

www.ProKiteLessons.com
info@prokitesouthpadre.com

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 07, 14 10:42 am     Reply with quote

You could get a k-pump:

http://www.k-pump.com/products/pumps.html

http://www.isupworld.com/k-pump-k20-review/

They have 2 modes:
- low pressure high flow
- low flow high pressure

They will do up to 25 PSI without too much work so be careful not to pop your bladders with them.

I fly Blade Triggers at 8 psi and they fly fine.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Aug 07, 14 11:22 am     Reply with quote

Good question and general topic as I am still trying to fine tune my kite optimal pressure knowledge...

However, isn't the "right" pressure to inflate a kite highly dependent on its size???

A 6m kite will need to be inflated at much higher pressure than a 12 or 15 meter kite?

An alternative to achieving high pump pressure with smaller kite in high wind days would be to try to kite in less windy conditions and/or different locations where bigger kites can be used...

Also, what do people use for qualitative measure of pressure in a kite (if you don't have a pressure gauge). What I have been doing is making sure that the leading edge is not bending too easily towards the wingtip (at 30-40% of the windtip along the leading edge) under some reasonable amount of hand pressure... However, I don't inflate to the point where the struts and/or leading feel rock hard... As long as the kite can hold its frame nicely when flying and not collapse on the edge and/or center too easily, I have been thinking that it is the right amount of pressure. In strong gust, I would expect some amount of frame collapse. Maybe, I am a little conservative with my pressure after I had my valve pop and/or strut connector pop (after tomawacking my kites) in the middle of the river and having to self rescue with air in the main bladder... I am also always a bit weary of pressure build-up (a few extra PSI) with darker leading edge and sun exposure...

Are those valid concerns/approach or people have different suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: