Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

HR Danger Map
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 25, 14 5:46 am     Reply with quote

Good topic and good idea but the truth of the matter and the best rule of them is: There are and expect there to be hazards ANYWHERE within 20 yards of ANY shoreline or island line or what have you. The more I kite the Gorge the more I stay the fu@k away from ALL shorelines. When the river is full of white caps you can't see half the markers for gill nets until you are on top of them. Launch and get into the barge lane where it is safe period. And save your showing off for your mom.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSat Jul 26, 14 8:42 am    Marker 02 - in place Reply with quote

Added marker 02 on the South side of Wells yesterday. Another pretty nasty log for PWC and boats. Visible at low water levels but totally submerged at high water level.

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 9.36.54 AM.jpg 
   IMG_3595-medium.jpg 

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSat Jul 26, 14 8:57 am     Reply with quote

I like your rule SpeedRacer and I pretty much follow the same rule except that some dangers seem to be way more than 20 yards away from the shoreline. This is especially true and obvious in shallow sections of the river. The two logs I marked are easily 150 yards away from the shoreline and what would appear to be a safe riding / boating area/channel.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jul 26, 14 1:37 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds good sromano! Thanks for taking the time and care to do this!

allenlight

Since 19 Jul 2008
43 Posts

PostSun Jul 27, 14 7:22 am     Reply with quote

Good work Sromano. There is another large log / stump to the north and west of item #1 on your map that was marked in the past and should be marked again. It's right in the cruising path between the island and the better wind to the north and west of the island. Also, it tends to be about 4" under the surface..

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Jul 28, 14 4:43 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Allenlight. This is great intel and it seems like this is another high risk spot since, based on your description, it is right in the kiting path. Will be looking for it next time I am there.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Jul 28, 14 5:51 am    Wells Dangers Aerial View Reply with quote

A couple of pics showing the currently "known & located" danger spots West of Wells. If you know and can mark the location of any other danger, please copy and annotate these pics or send me a note. I will try to map / take aerial shots of other areas next time I am there.

Wells Danger Map - 2014-07-28 at 6.09.14 AM .jpg 
   Wells Danger Map - 2014-07-28 at 6.09.28 AM copy.jpg 
   Wells Danger Map - 2014-07-28 at 6.09.41 AM copy.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: