Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Liquid Force Solo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Larry Pinta

Since 21 Aug 2013
57 Posts

PostFri Jul 18, 14 2:51 pm    Liquid Force Solo Reply with quote

Just returned from two weeks in the Gorge and near the end of the trip noticed a few Solo's on the water. I have never ridden Liquid Force and want some feedback on the CPR system and build quality. I am specifically looking for a light wind 15.5 perhaps instead of the Ocean Rodeo Flite. I am 180 lbs and ride a OR mako or North Nugett. Want a kite for light days Pacific Northwest and for occasional trip to Caribbean. Looking to make a purchase in the next few days.

Thanks in advance

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 18, 14 5:35 pm     Reply with quote

Just PM'd you.

Solo 9's and 12's are currently in stock at 2nd Wind Sports.

6.5's and 15.5's are supposed to be available sometime soon.
Awaiting exact eta for these kites from our rep any day now.

www.Purestokesports.com

Larry Pinta

Since 21 Aug 2013
57 Posts

PostSat Jul 19, 14 10:15 am     Reply with quote

Any feedback from folks that have ridden this kite?

Blaine

Since 06 Aug 2010
96 Posts

PostSat Jul 19, 14 10:52 am    12 M Solo Reply with quote

Hey! I recently bought a 12M Solo! It has incredible light wind performance for a 12. I have been riding when others are on 14s and 15s and have been able to hold it down when others are on 10s. It is powerful for its size. When you boost it just holds you up there. It also unhooks pretty well.

I have taught lessons on the 12 and 9 Solo. Both relaunch super easy and were easy to teach on.

Larry Pinta

Since 21 Aug 2013
57 Posts

PostSat Jul 19, 14 11:04 am     Reply with quote

I am intermediate rider but comfortable riding at most spots (hatch, wall, white salmon etc.) I ride a twin tip and surf board but wondering if this is more of a speciality kite.
I would like a kite for Maui waves as well. Was thinking a 15.5 solo with a 10m rebel as my quiver. I mainly ride strapless and look for a snappy kites for roles and spins when I am strapped. Don't kite loop coming off Cabrinha Switchblade.

Are these fast responsive kites?

Thanks for the input

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 19, 14 11:07 am     Reply with quote

Hey Larry, the LF guys were kind enough to loan me the 12m and 15.5m kites for this past week. I've flown both now but need more time on them to form a solid opinion. Also trying to fly them back to back with other light wind kites too. So far I've had a hoot doing freestyle in light winds on the 15.5m solo. Relaunch seems nice too. I'd like to spend more time on the 12m and maybe fly it back to back with an envy and maybe my park. So far both kites fly well self launch and land easy, and water relaunch is quick. The bigger size does loop nice with plenty of low end. Fun kite and pretty affordable for a big kite

Here's an earlier review I gave on the smaller 9m a couple months back
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-32395.html&highlight=solo

Larry Pinta

Since 21 Aug 2013
57 Posts

PostSat Jul 19, 14 7:19 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Jim

Really looking for feedback on the 15.5 as I want a low wind fun option. Other option is Ocean Rodeo Flite but really looking towards the Solo. No Liquid Force experience how is the CPR bar set up? I understand there may be a new bar in the works?

any follow up is appreciated. Great pics!

marina

Since 16 Jan 2006
150 Posts
California coast
Stoked

PostSun Jul 20, 14 6:07 am     Reply with quote

The Kiteboarder was testing light wind kites and boards in San Diego in March (staff and 6 guest testers). Gary Siskar from LF showed up with the final prototype of the 15.5 Solo and let a few people ride it. Feedback was:
super stable in light winds
responsive, esp for its size
surprisingly good range e.g. good low end grunt and upper wind range

hope this helps a bit!

Check out our new instruction resource
site, www.thekiteboarderschool.com

Larry Pinta

Since 21 Aug 2013
57 Posts

PostSun Jul 20, 14 6:08 am     Reply with quote

Thanks

We will see a full review in a future mag?

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 20, 14 6:11 am     Reply with quote

Larry Pinta wrote:
No Liquid Force experience how is the CPR bar set up? I understand there may be a new bar in the works?!

I haven't flown the Solo, but I do have an NRG. The CPR bar has some pluses and minuses... The good: super simple quick release and reattaching it is a breeze, the flagging system is the best I've ever seen in a four line bar setup. The not-so-good: I've heard a few complaints about the built-in big rubber bar ends that are kind of cumbersome. The bad: the below the bar depower is really hard to use. Seems to work a lot better if you have a waist harness instead of a seat, but it can still be a bear to get that trim line to pull through. Kite construction is bomber.

I have to say that the Liquid Force crew are a great bunch of guys that are clearly really passionate about kiting and getting you out on the water. I had some issues with my 2013 NRG, but LF stood behind their product completely, and Gary went above & beyond... super stoked on the brand.

TheKerrKid

Since 02 Jul 2009
226 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jul 20, 14 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

I have only ridden the solo during KB4C. I can tell you it stays in the air really well. we had some crazy lulls and it did not want to fall out of the sky, and when riding downwind directly at it, it did not backstall, just floated for a second untill it caught the wind again.

Other than that it is a easy kite to ride I didnt feel like I needed to adjust to the kite, just hopped on and felt right at home.

I ride the CPR bar all the time. I love the floaty foam ends, protects your surfboard from dings from the bar ends. Also must say I love the bar shape and grip. You should put one in your hands, it feels nice and holds up well.

R.I.P. Jeff Young

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostSun Jul 20, 14 8:04 pm    12m solo for waves Reply with quote

I know you're primarily looking into the 15.5 solo but you mentioned riding surfboard with both straps and strapless... I've had Envy's and got my 12m Solo a couple of months ago. I switched to the Solo primarily for the performance of the kite in waves and for strapless riding. Like Kerr Kid said it keeps some power and does not backstall when you sheet out, hence making strapless airs and grabs way easier!! Not sure about the 15.5 for Maui but the 12m Solo for the coast is pretty sweet! It has the special word "drift" that everyone always talks about. Kite is very quick and responsive! Again, ideal for practicing strapless airs and grabs, backrolls, etc.

I was also very impressed with the kite for regular twintip riding. I borrowed Rescue Ron's board and joined Stringy and Joe for a boost session a few weeks ago. I liked the power and hangtime of the Solo better than my Envys. There was no let down from the overall solid performance of the Envy. I could do all the OG tricks that I wanted. Kite was fine for light wind kite loops and F-16s. I guess it's not the kite for Len10-style mega loops but that's not my deal.

Good luck!

Larry Pinta

Since 21 Aug 2013
57 Posts

PostSun Jul 20, 14 9:09 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks very much for all the replies. Is there any news on the 2015 LF bar? I understand a redesign may be coming in the fall? I assume I would be able to retrofit to an existing kite. If I wanted a two kite quiver for a variety of terrain - gorge, Squamish, Maui, Turks & Caicos could I pull it off? What sizes would you suggest?

BOARDS - 5.5" north Nugget - Mako 140

Thanks

marina

Since 16 Jan 2006
150 Posts
California coast
Stoked

PostMon Jul 21, 14 6:01 am     Reply with quote

hi Larry,
Sorry no review as of now as we only tested the prototype and haven't had a chance to ride the production model.

Check out our new instruction resource
site, www.thekiteboarderschool.com

ianNJ

Since 04 Aug 2014
2 Posts

PostMon Aug 04, 14 7:34 am     Reply with quote

Hey gang, new to this forum. Just seeing what's happening on the west coast...
(full disclosure) I own a retail shop online and sell LF and OR...

getting to the point:

The solo is the tits for surf! I am not a fan of the CPR bar at all. I don't like below the bar de-power. The 2015 bar is much different and personally (without using it) I think its gonna be sick. The current construction is fine and the safety works every time.

I have a 6.5,9,12 and 15,5 (be here 8/6/14) Solo. We also did two videos. One was the zeypher against the 12m. The kid on the zeypher was about 30lbs less then the guy on the 12m Solo. The kid on the 17 also was banning upwind and had power to do really any trick he could pull off with a 17. The guy on the 12m Solo had two different boards. one was the CrazyFly skim with no fins and the other was an F-One next. Both bigger. He was able to stay in place no problem.

Back to back with the 12m Envy the Solo has much more power. But its not great to un-hook or boost. Overall the kites are great with amazing drift. I think they, like the other LF stuff, is slightly slower (im used to a Mutiny S-series 10m or a Reo 12m). But the trade off in the drift is worth it. I probably will run the 9,12,15 on the bigger bar and the 6.5 on the smaller bar.

A buddy and I were out this past weekend. Both are 185. He was on a regular twin (F-One Trax 137x42) and I was on the Mitu Pro 5'10. He had a 10.5 envy and I had the 9 solo. It looked like we had equal power. The current was ripping and the wind was 18-22mph.

I am getting the 15.5 to replace my OR Flite 17m and feel very confident that it will do the job. I can post up after I get a chance to let you know what I think..

This link has both videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvkRJiH1RXDU0lbzJeJyMRw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: