Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Seat harness users?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 15, 14 1:42 pm    Seat harness users? Reply with quote

I have one I have never used and want to give it a go. One question. Can I go commando or do I need another layer?

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Jul 15, 14 1:49 pm     Reply with quote

Another layer. You could go commando but free-balling around leg straps could get interesting. Your back and ribs will be happier however.

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 15, 14 1:55 pm     Reply with quote

Good advice! Surprised Never even occurred to me..but I see how that could be surprisingly uncomfortable. What do I need, neoprene shorts?

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 15, 14 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
Another layer. You could go commando but free-balling around leg straps could get interesting. Your back and ribs will be happier however.

that there is funny stuff. the pic in my mind is terrible . Pelotas swinging side to side. don't boost over me with those things swinging!!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Jul 15, 14 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

A pair of board shorts works fine as you just need an added layer to keep the junk in the trunk or when coming in hot....ass first. Not cool. Shocked Don't laugh...we've ALL been there. Smile

They will be a different feeling compared to your waist harness but for holding down power during long session power carving they are a back saver and why I made the switch after a rib issue was cutting my sessions short.

Patrol.....heading out in about 30 minutes to Event Site. Hope to see you! We're due! Smile

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 15, 14 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

I just realized that I neglected to state that I have a pair of Dakine Nitrous boardshorts/seat harness! My bad! Embarassed Cant imagine what people thought I was talking about.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Jul 15, 14 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

I would recommend snug lycra shorts, polypro shorts, or neoprene shorts worn as boxer briefs under the shorts harness depending on the temperature (assuming you aren't already wearing a wetsuit).

http://stores.wetsuit.com/compare/640/558/557

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Jul 15, 14 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

Use the old Dakine Taboo and board shorts. Only problem I have is bum bumping the bottom in shallow water. Gets snug sometimes.

www.freeridekiting.com

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 16, 14 8:49 am     Reply with quote

I just wear board shorts under the nitrous shorts. I did go on a baja trip and forgot to bring boardies, or anything really to wear underneath, and can vouch for some sore 'fellas' as a result. Board shorts keeps me really comfortable and i dont have to go buy more shit

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Jul 16, 14 9:02 am     Reply with quote

OG wrote:
I just wear board shorts under the nitrous shorts.

+1. Works great and they dry quick while you're packing up so one less wet thing in the back of your rig.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jul 16, 14 11:57 am     Reply with quote

Slight change of topic, but does anyone know of a seat harness with a good sliding system? For my next harness, I want the connection to be able to slide 180 degrees.

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 16, 14 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the help people. Very Happy

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Jul 16, 14 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Slight change of topic, but does anyone know of a seat harness with a good sliding system? For my next harness, I want the connection to be able to slide 180 degrees.

Slither.....I just tried out a j-bar on my Nitrous shorts and had mixed results. It definitely opened up my hips more so you can get your lip banging on but the sliding bar has a slight bend in the middle which loads up and then slides abruptly. It didn't feel smooth to me so my timing was whack, but note "user error" is a constant reality for me. It also comes with a rope slide...but I haven't tried that. After more sessions it did start to flow better fyi. For Coast riding it could be ideal but I went back to a fixed hook so you're welcome to try my J-bar anytime to see if you like it as I would be interested in your opinion. LMK. Smile

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 16, 14 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:

You can add this sliding Dakine spreader bar to any harness - including shorts.
I have 30 days on mine and it's starting to rip and fray. I'll take it back for warranty replacement.
I've seen homemade versions with rope and sliding shackle that work as well or better.

http://www.dakine.com/p/kite/spreader-bars/maniac-spreader-bar?clr=003

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jul 16, 14 5:02 pm     Reply with quote

Sella, thanks, I will be in the Gorge this weekend and may try and take you up on that.

Idhr, thanks but I am looking for more than 8-10 inches of travel. 180 degrees around my big ass is going to be like 18-20". When I am top turning back side I want that trim loop coming right off the side of my hip. The problem is almost all the newer waist harnesses have the clips for the ends of a standard bar hard sewn in.

I took one of my old harness and cut that stuff off, then I took a rope and tied it to each of the rings that were meant for the handle in back of the harness. This gave me the travel I wanted plus was much more comfortable with the pull-points being on the sides and slightly behind vs. in front and only distributed by the length of the bar.

The only problem was that after making the line as short as possible but still being able to get the thing on, under load it stretched out and pulled too far away from my body, i.e. I could barely reach the trim cleat. I might be able to solve that but this old harness is so worn out anyway that I am better off starting over.

AC

Since 04 Jul 2012
66 Posts

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 16, 14 5:08 pm    J-Bar w/dakine nitrous shorts Reply with quote

I use the J-bar with the rope and it's been great.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 17, 14 10:02 am     Reply with quote

I wear a pair of Victory Kore Dry adventure shorts under my regular board shorts under my Nitrous harness.

You really want something keeping your balls out of the leg straps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: