Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wakeboarder (Kite Noob) W/ A Question
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 16, 14 9:31 am     Reply with quote

Good points. Thanks.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Jul 16, 14 9:36 am     Reply with quote

rightguard wrote:
What you really need to learn is that this is a dangerous sport and sometimes there is nothing you can do. Although you can minimize damage by reacting to trouble and making good decisions. This is super important with young people who think it will never happen to them.

Really pay attention to this quote from Rightguard please. Take the lessons yourself and learn to become a proficient kiter first before ever strapping your kids in. Being able to stay upwind is not good enough. Truly knowing and living the differences for self rescue know-how is a must. With your past board experience your break through sessions will come quickly and then get in your boat and possibly start teaching your kids but family teaching family is another topic while trainer kites only give you 5% of the total picture at best.
On the plus side once your family realizes they don't have to all wait their turn for a pull behind the boat and boost 5x higher the gas/insurance/tabs/taxes/storage/maintenance money savings alone makes kiting a pennies on the dollar family sport. Good luck, have fun.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 16, 14 10:01 am     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
but family teaching family is another topic

No joke. I used to instruct snowboarding back in the day. Tried to teach my girlfriend to snowboard (now wife). That sucked. Tried to teach her sailboarding. That sucked. The dynasty of suckiness lives on with my daughter (skiing, dirt bike racing, guitar, etc., all must be learned from others). The Boy, on the other hand, listens to my every word. He's a good boy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: