Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wakeboarder (Kite Noob) W/ A Question
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 15, 14 9:56 am    Wakeboarder (Kite Noob) W/ A Question Reply with quote

Hey All,

Just signed on. Old sailboarder, current wakerboarder and planned kiteboarder (I've been putting it off for years). Kids are just starting to take lessons. I have a trainer kite and all that biz. If the Nuggets take to kiting, as I suspect they will, my bank account will take a beating...plus I'll be needing gear too. I ride a Slingshot Lyman wakeboard. I love that board. I've read over and over that there are wakeboards and there are kiteboards, and never the two shall meet (unless, perhaps, it's a hybrid). I dunno. My Lyman (144cm) sure seems similar to a kiteboard. Seems like it would work (perhaps giving up some up wind efficiency). Yes I'm penny pinching. However, potentially gearing up for three kiters is a daunting task, so if I can save a few sheckles, it would be awesome. If it won't work, then it won't work. Anyone have experience with the SS Lyman and could advise? Thanks!

Last edited by deminimis on Wed Jul 16, 14 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

K2

Since 30 Apr 2009
274 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 15, 14 11:27 am     Reply with quote

You're going to have a harder time learning how to kite on a Lyman.

First of all, the rocker on it will hurt your ability to go upwind. If you can't get upwind you're going to be doing a lot of walking/swimming to get back to where you started towing all your gear with you.

Knowing how to wakeboard will help you pick up kiting faster but you still won't know how to fly the kite and it will take hours to pick that up. You don't want to hinder yourself in the beginning or else you might not make it through the learning phase.

Also you won't want to learn how to kiteboard in wakeboots. Pads & straps are the traditional way to keep your feet on your kiteboard and are probably the best things to have on your board for a newbie besides the grab handle... (I'm joking about the handle)

I don't recommend using the Lyman to try and learn how to kiteboard. You're going to have a hell of a time staying upwind and you are going to need to buy pads & straps to put on there when you're kiting only to be forced to switching back to the boots when you wakeboard.

Get 2 kites with at least one bar, a wetsuit, a used kiteboard, a harness and you should be good to go! Get lessons too! See the recent post about the ER Doc who got broke off on this forum.

I hope that helps. That's just my advice. There's a lot of really knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum but take all the advice with a grain of salt. Except for the lessons part. Take lessons dude. Good luck!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 15, 14 11:40 am     Reply with quote

^^^^^^ what he said is 100% spot on!

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 15, 14 11:49 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input! My buddy that has been kiting from the get go has been telling me the same thing, but I just needed to hear it from others. Thank you again.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostTue Jul 15, 14 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

The used gear market is ripe right now for people to get into the sport and still obtain quality, used-but-modern gear. If you need gear tips (what to look for for in a used kite purchase, what is a good deal, kite models to learn on, etc.) there are many people here that can give you good input. I just went through this process for my girlfriend who is learning to kite so it is fresh on the mind; I was blown away by the deals available on used gear right now. Feel free to drop me a pm if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

And to reiterate what others have said, lessons are definitely in order, and a regular kiteboard would be much better to learn on. You should be able to find a good used kiteboard for under $200 - heck, you can find new ones for that price online if you look for previous-years stock.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 15, 14 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll take you up on that. Was thinking about wakeboarding today, but too busy to sneak away. So,,,I'll see if the trainer kit will fly and, if I'm lucky, pull me through some wheat fields tonight.....although it looks mighty still out there.

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostTue Jul 15, 14 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

I was also a windsurfer, surfer, wakeboarder (and 4-line land stunt kiter), sailboat & catamaran racer and snowboarder. Kiteboarding is very different from everything i've done. There are some parts that really apply but to put it into perspective, try wakeboarding in a rough ocean with the tow boat randomly speeding up and slowing down.
It took me 4 good lessons to even get going. Your mileage may vary.

fwiw

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Jul 15, 14 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="deminimis", but too busy to sneak away. So,,,I'll see if the trainer kit will fly and, if I'm lucky, pull me through some wheat fields tonight.....although it looks mighty still out there.[/quote]

barb wire hurts a little

but sheepnet not to bad thou Cool Laughing Very Happy

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 15, 14 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

Probably get cheat grass in my ears.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Jul 15, 14 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

ouch

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 15, 14 5:22 pm     Reply with quote

Holy mother of Zeus! Just checked lesson prices. I need to find someone who wants to trade lessons for a day(s) getting yanked by a boat.

Where do you mount the speakers on a kite?

Joshiebaby

Since 14 Oct 2007
569 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Jul 16, 14 5:41 am     Reply with quote

Lessons are not cheap. But as by the dude at the event site the other day they are cheaper than ER bills. You are going to THRASH the gear that you use at your lesson. Hopefully not too bad but this is part of what you are paying for. Nobody rents the gear for a reason--it's too expensive and gets too thrashed by first timers.

Take the lessons from someone who knows what they are doing. Cannot emphasize this enough. Crossover experience will help you get up and going but no amount of crossover is going to get your the fundamentals down w/o proper lessons.

abkite

Since 25 Jun 2011
27 Posts

PostWed Jul 16, 14 6:16 am     Reply with quote

My husband took one lesson and then self taught from there. It took him many many times trying, kitemears, and a lot of frustration. After seeing the frustration he went through I got lessons. I was up on the board going up wind my second lesson and learned really important skills that I ended up passing on to him. We spent $300, I think it might of been the best money we've spent in the sport.
On the other side the price of a boat makes me squirm.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 16, 14 7:28 am     Reply with quote

abkite wrote:

On the other side the price of a boat makes me squirm.

No doubt about that. It takes a special kind of stupid to own a WB boat...

If I could get lessons for $300, I wouldn't think twice. F-n-L went looking for lessons for my Nuggets this week (we pawned them off for a couple of days). Was quoted in the neighborhood of $800 (three lessons, one kid) and thus bagged the idea, much to my disappointment. Multiply that by 3, once you add me into the mix, and that's one respectable sum. We can get some free-ish lessons (well, the cost of copious amounts of Pacificos and tacos de camaron, etc) from a buddy in LV this Winter. $2,400 more than pays the cost of diesel down and back. That seems like the smart play for us. I'm thinking lots of trainer kite time. Perhaps grab a trashed small kite and get thrashed in the fields a bit as well?? Think I'll drag the Nuggets down to Rufus to watch and learn as well. Might head out to Three Mile and get dragged around the pond as no one ever seems to go out there.

Despite that, if someone has a pretty good line on reasonable lessons in HR, please let me know. PM me if you'd rather.

See you at Too Slim tonight!

Thanks!

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 16, 14 8:28 am     Reply with quote

If you have board skills and get really good with the trainer you can probably get away with just a single 3 hour of lesson.

Practice sitting on the beach and using the trainer to pull yourself up to your feet and running while flying the trainer.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 16, 14 8:47 am     Reply with quote

Slappy, you've given me hope. Thanks.

rightguard

Since 22 Oct 2012
29 Posts
Maui

PostWed Jul 16, 14 9:13 am     Reply with quote

I think anyone can teach you the skills... Even by yourself. The reason to take lessons is to learn the importance of safety.

I've been teaching a friend and he is doing well but as a friend he doesn't really listen to my warnings. Nothing I tell him really seems to sink in. Every time we launch I go over saftey and he looks at me with a blank expression.

What you really need to learn is that this is a dangerous sport and sometimes there is nothing you can do. Although you can minimize damage by reacting to trouble and making good decisions. This is supper important with young people who think it will never happen to them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: