Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

User guide for the Wunderbar/WS sandbar (sticky please)
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 10, 14 6:13 pm    User guide for the Wunderbar/WS sandbar (sticky please) Reply with quote

I am now on the Board of the CGKA to represent the kiters on the Washington side of the river. Our spot has been discovered so it is up to us to keep it.
Rule Numero Uno: Don't cross the tracks, don't stand NEAR the tracks, park and walk east to walk under the RR trestle. The engineer is required to file an incident report if a humanoid is within 15 ft. of the tracks.
Numero Dos: Back-in parking ONLY! Driving west, eyeball open spots, continue driving west and after the Underwood turnoff, pull into the gravel parking to the right. Clear traffic to the west(one mile) trust me you will need it. Enter the highway heading east and pull just in front of the open spot and then back-in. Make sure your front end is totally off the asphalt. The semi's are roaring thru at 50+ and have little room for maneuvering or stopping. Signs have been installed on the fence to alert people to back-in, but every day I see a car parked face in. We the locals who have the most to lose, need to police this. 97.2% of the people I encounter are very willing to listen and correct their parking misdeeds.
Numero Tres: This is not a beginner launch area. The WS river temp is 45 degrees. There are numerous stumps, logs and punji sticks to impel you when you do your face plants. The current is swift and there is a frequent wind shadow in the launch area that makes the launch challenging. Sand space is limited, please roll up kites when through so others can pump up or land. Feel free to share ideas and solutions, this is a gift we don't want to lose. John Mooney

lekaks

Since 02 Apr 2008
151 Posts
Hood River, OR
Stoked

PostThu Jul 10, 14 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

Thx for the post John...

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostFri Jul 11, 14 7:24 am     Reply with quote

Hey Moondog good work! I am assuming that BNSF has given the write away to cross there property? Walking along fence and going under the bridge?

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 11, 14 8:33 am     Reply with quote

We don't have BNSF's blessing at this time. Our goal is to maintain a" No Drama" policy which is more of a challenge on the parking/highway side of the equation.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 12, 14 9:37 pm     Reply with quote

Great info John - thanks for your effort.

I have 22' length truck/camper. There is no way I can back-in park along south-side of hwy 14. Trust me, I will not attempt that. Question: am I permitted to park such an "over-sized" vehicle parallel to the highway west of where the "back-in" vehicles park? If so, how far west should I park?

I know I can park in the small parking area on the west side of Alt 141 just off hwy 14. But that means then walking across the WS highway bridge and crossing the highway which I really don't want to do.

Are there any other options for me? (other than launching at the HR sandbar - please not that).

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Jul 13, 14 11:16 am     Reply with quote

Unbob, we have some long rigs that show up and park WEST of a big hiway sign about 3/4 the way down the shoulder. Any little bit a angling helps to allow more vehicles to park and also allows more visibility on departure.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 13, 14 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks - I'll look for the sign next time. Sure don't want to cause any problem parking my big rig.

niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostTue Jul 17, 18 2:24 pm    User guide for the Wunderbar/WS sandbar sticky please Reply with quote

BUMP!!

Seems a few people are forgetting the basic parking guidelines for the Wunderbar. Saw two cars parked on the north side of 14 across from the Wunderbar entrance 7/17/2018. Shocked I assume the cars belonged to Kiters? No parking on pavement. The space between the white line and dirt (guardrail) is for bicycles not parking.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 17, 18 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

The Sprinter belonged to a gentleman that was helping his girlfriend's Jeep that got stuck in the massive drain hole. So....2 women bathers saw it parked there and decided it was OK to park there also. They happened to park right next to the "No parking anytime" sign, so if a cop comes by they will be ticketed.

Bottom line, don't park on the North side of the highway. This was a first and an exceptional situation with the stuck car.

D

Since 18 Apr 2015
56 Posts
Hood River

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 04, 19 10:44 am     Reply with quote

My concerns are more about the beach bums on warm flat days. Ever been there when the winds not blowing? Teenagers walking the tracks and parking whichever way suits them best.
I even caught my own wife crossing the tracks on the east side of the bridge.

Maybe more signage from the kite community?

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1249 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 05, 19 8:58 pm     Reply with quote

RIP Wunderbar

niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostThu Aug 08, 19 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

August 8/2019 Sad

IMG_0465.jpg 

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 08, 19 7:20 pm     Reply with quote

A sad day indeed! October 2011 to August 8, 2019 RIP

MCD

Since 24 Feb 2014
42 Posts

PostFri Aug 09, 19 3:16 pm    RIP underwood sandbar Reply with quote

Good photo on the 8th. Confirms what we suspected.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 31, 20 8:04 pm    What Wunder Bar Reply with quote

Sticky no mas

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1249 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 05, 20 4:04 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, unsticky pls... the constant reminder just makes us still sad it's gone. :(

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 29, 20 7:10 am     Reply with quote

“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

Best Regards,

Wonderbar

its back.jpg 
   Wonderbar is back 1.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: