Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Crushtanic Swell Tuesday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
314 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostWed Jun 04, 14 6:02 am    Crushtanic Swell Tuesday Reply with quote

I bristle at the JC Penney's-had-a-sale name of "Big Tuesday." On my scale, yesterday was sustained crushtanically explosive swell. It's time to hear the first hand accounts and see the pics. I'm still in awe of the savagetanic section of river from upper Swell to the White Salmon.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Jun 04, 14 7:57 am     Reply with quote

Unlimited "this is absolutely not going to end well" moments yesterday.

daveS

Since 23 Jul 2007
101 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 04, 14 8:39 am     Reply with quote

Absolutely insane. That swell was as big as I remember in the central gorge in 20+ years of kiting/windsurfing here. I'm thanking my friend Matt Klee for sending us yesterday. Rest in peace buddy.
Dave

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostWed Jun 04, 14 9:13 am     Reply with quote

I'd say massive, frequent, and nearly unprecendented swell trains.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostWed Jun 04, 14 9:36 am     Reply with quote

Fat Tuesdsay was F* sick. Massive ridges and valleys of moving water-- too bad we don't get that everyday!

PICS from Mike Godsey: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28329

http://eclipsefilms.com/

Last edited by Kraemer on Wed Jun 04, 14 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

JimmyH

Since 06 Mar 2012
116 Posts
United States
Stoked

PostWed Jun 04, 14 9:58 am    Top 5 in 25 years Reply with quote

That was definitely one of my top 5 HUGE SWELL days at The Hatchery in 25 years windsurfing and kiting in The GORGE and exactly the reason why so many of us fell in love with this place and made it our home. Big props to the ripping windsurfers and the point break like riding rotation, everyone was sharing waves, hooting and hollering for one another, just a very playful day.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jun 04, 14 10:18 am     Reply with quote

Not everyday you get to cartwheel head over heels in the river like you've become disconnected on a Valdez heli drop

lots of fun watching the crew slay and get slayed!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 04, 14 10:30 am     Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing as I rode the swell - Matt Klee Memorial Big Tuesday.
His favorite spot was adjacent to Wells Island and that's where I found the best conditions yesterday.

daveS wrote:
Absolutely insane. That swell was as big as I remember in the central gorge in 20+ years of kiting/windsurfing here. I'm thanking my friend Matt Klee for sending us yesterday. Rest in peace buddy.
Dave

argos

Since 07 Apr 2010
66 Posts

PostWed Jun 04, 14 10:40 am     Reply with quote

daveS wrote:
Dave

Thanks Matt!!!!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Mar 30, 15 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Firing up the infamous Phat Tuesday bat signal for tomorrow as Temira is predicting a nuker. Get your work and life in order and come close out the month in style.

Tuesday looks much more interesting. A low pressure trough moves east early in the day and strong high pressure builds off the coast. This is a nearly-ideal setup for Gorge westerlies, at least it’s ideal if you like your westerlies strong, approaching nuking. If nothing changes between now and then, we’ll see 28-32+ for much of the day from, oh, probably Mosier to Arlington. Maybe Lyle to Arlington.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 30, 15 1:24 pm     Reply with quote

Current below the John Day Dam is still reasonable. I found a new link:

http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/station/flowplot/hydroPlot.php?id=JDAO3&pe=QR&v=1427750492

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Mar 31, 15 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

Hell yeah! Went 9 to 5 today.....meters that is at Rosey. Wind and weather was beautiful but the swell wasn't quite there. Quite a few 5 footers at the Silos but probabaly too deep for the overhead escalater swells it can be known for. Happy Spring!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Mar 31, 15 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

SpaceRacer wrote:
Hell yeah! Went 9 to 5 today.....meters that is at Rosey. Wind and weather was beautiful but the swell wasn't quite there. Quite a few 5 footers at the Silos but probabaly too deep for the overhead escalater swells it can be known for. Happy Spring!

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Further East did look blue and sunny. Hood looked good early but turned dark and wet so did Rufus with the usual suspects on 7 & 8m's. Swell wasn't like Rosey but it had it's moments. Thought today would be much bigger but after schlogging the 14 the last few weeks the 8 was a nice change.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: