Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Accident at the monkey bar
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostMon Jul 07, 14 10:57 am     Reply with quote

I don't think we need to know the specifics. We just need to understand how it COULD happen. I am constantly considering what could happen when coming up on a buoy. I now try to avoid transiting within 100m+ upstream and kiting of any sort within 50m of a buoy.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Jul 08, 14 10:11 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Speedracer and JeffT for echoing my feeling on the topic and this thread (as I was afraid to ask and/or point out in this public forum). Sadly it takes incidents / accidents to learn something. Learning it for yourself is certainly a good thing but sharing with others is doing everybody in the community a much greater service, especially for people, like me, who have not been around the kiting scene for decades and have a tendency to try things that probably should not be tried and/or tried differently (with the proper safety nets for oneself and others). I used to come very close to the Red buoy by Wells and reaching for it with my hand last year (passing downwing from it). I definitely learned from this thread that staying away from it was probably a much smarter idea and being downwind from it, is not necessarily safe: especially in case of the kite dropping in front of it with the current. I frankly had not thought of it as a problem since the wind is usually so strong there. But knowing exactly what could go wrong would be very helpful.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 08, 14 11:19 am     Reply with quote

Well, no one involved has come forward to say the kiter did NOT buzz the buoy, transition near it, jump it, etc.
Draw your own conclusions, but distance is your friend.
Last weekend, on the east coast, I kited hurricane winds, only max. ~30 but very gusty.
So I gave obstacles extra distance over when the weather is more normal and consistent.
Maybe having read this topic helped remind me to do so.
Distance is your friend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: