Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bye Bye SS...
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 16, 14 10:11 am    Bye Bye SS... Reply with quote

I (and many others) have wanted slingshot to reproduce the 2012 Rally as a wave kite for sometime. So after having contacted SS through dealers, long time riders and gotten ZERO response, I have decided to give another kite company my business. I will still buy RPM's but Blade has announced a new wave kite that sounds very similar to the old Rally. The new kite is the Skinny boy from Bladekites.

I understand the 2012 Rally was a niche kite and all, but really if a smalltime guy like Dmitri can have a wavekite in his lineup, why can't a big reputable kite company?

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 16, 14 10:18 am    I Agree Reply with quote

The 2011-2012 Rally is the shiznits. Why feck with near perfection? What am I gonna do when my kites wear out? OH THE INHUMANITY!

Sabo

Since 13 May 2013
51 Posts
Hood River

PostFri May 16, 14 10:28 am     Reply with quote

If you ever want to try out the Best Cabo - I've got some ready to shred here in Hood River!

Don't be too harsh on Slingshot - they've got feedback coming from around the world and I'm sure any decision they made was not without looking at the whole picture. Perhaps they are in the midst of making one and just don't want to release a crappy product?!

Anyways - feel free to hit me up if you want to try something from our lineup!

Office: (252) 489-2959 x0248
Mobile: (720) 480-7933
www.bestkiteboarding.com

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 16, 14 10:36 am     Reply with quote

They don't need to release a new one just the old 2012 which they have already made. If im in the hood next summer I will try the Cabo. Thanks

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostFri May 16, 14 10:57 am     Reply with quote

Thats why coming up with new product every year at some point becomes counter productive. I blame the tools that keep buying this new shit year after year.

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 16, 14 11:08 am     Reply with quote

I agree they have to fuck it up at some point so it's new and "improved". Of course every year it's perfect when you buy it, then one second later it's shit. Laughing

Sabo

Since 13 May 2013
51 Posts
Hood River

PostFri May 16, 14 11:15 am     Reply with quote

It's like cars - got to have a new model every year! Those "tools" could be people who ride as much as me, in which case I am in DIRE NEED of a new kite after one season. My kites turn to tissue paper and are not nearly as crispy, which leads to under performing kites and higher potential of gear failure.

www.bestkiteboarding.com

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostFri May 16, 14 11:33 am     Reply with quote

The downwind drift on the Cabo is brilliant. It runs away as fast as you can run toward it.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 16, 14 11:53 am    Re: Bye Bye SS... Reply with quote

Lurk wrote:
I (and many others) have wanted slingshot to reproduce the 2012 Rally as a wave kite for sometime. So after having contacted SS through dealers, long time riders and gotten ZERO response, I have decided to give another kite company my business. I will still buy RPM's but Blade has announced a new wave kite that sounds very similar to the old Rally. The new kite is the Skinny boy from Bladekites.

I understand the 2012 Rally was a niche kite and all, but really if a smalltime guy like Dmitri can have a wavekite in his lineup, why can't a big reputable kite company?

what do you gain by posting a thread like this?
if you like the 2012s so much, why not find some on closeout or slightly used?
plenty of choices out there so you're gonna be fine. problem is demoing and having local customer support when things aren't up to par on quality.
I'm surprised SS didn't give you the top level service.
I don't think its fair to look at the reps, riders, or dealers as they can only give so much feedback to the top level. SS comes out with a product for 2014 and their job is to ride it, embrace it, and try and get you to want it.
sorry about your issue, but SS makes a pretty good product lineup. so does Blade. I really like the triggers and the fat lady. I think the triggers may even have a "wave" setting for the bridle.

Sabo

Since 13 May 2013
51 Posts
Hood River

PostFri May 16, 14 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

Agreed Stringy! Time to get to Butters and or the Sandbar right now!

www.bestkiteboarding.com

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri May 16, 14 5:53 pm     Reply with quote

I'm starting a new kickstarter, new kite company !!
Called Rally Retro with one one kite available
Anyone wish to invest?

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostFri May 16, 14 5:55 pm     Reply with quote

I really liked how the wing tip folded on the 12m during turns!! :0

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri May 16, 14 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

What was for aerodynamics just like the wind on a 737 !!!

Wanna-Go

Since 14 Sep 2009
95 Posts
Central, Wa

PostFri May 16, 14 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

I think I may have bought one of the last new 2012 10 M on the market. I really like it over all my Kahoonas and now want some newer kites in a 7 and 12 M that are similar to the Rally.

FlyDunes

Since 09 Oct 2007
1034 Posts
Aloha
XTreme Poster

PostFri May 16, 14 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

The original design Rally was a kick ass kite.

I never had any "folding problems" with any of my old Rallys. Sounds like an issue that could be caused by under-inflating & over-sheeting?

I'm also considering alternatives to SS for new kite purchases, but wouldn't if the old design was brought back.

demo243

Since 16 Dec 2013
21 Posts

PostFri May 16, 14 10:29 pm     Reply with quote

Cant comment on the Rally itself... but can definitely comment on the under inflation. I have landed way to many kites that are under inflated... even refused to launch a few after picking up some soggy noodles of kites....

What ever happened to the good old flick the kite and listen for the ping? or bending the strut to make sure it is solid...

I still do it even though my North pump has a gauge on it

Most current kites are designed to be flown quite rigid... especially when its gusty and these sort of issues arise...

I have only once ever had a kite invert on me and I will admit it was my fault for not inflating it enough and then dumping it in some very cold water... yes a hot kite will lose pressure when it sits in cold water for a bit....

never had issues with folding wing tips on any kite... and I fly 3 strut kites...

FlyDunes wrote:
The original design Rally was a kick ass kite.

I never had any "folding problems" with any of my old Rallys. Sounds like an issue that could be caused by under-inflating & over-sheeting?

I'm also considering alternatives to SS for new kite purchases, but wouldn't if the old design was brought back.

The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostSat May 17, 14 6:43 am    2013 bestkiteboarding CABO Reply with quote

The cabo 11m 2013 is a good choice for a new kite and the price is right:
been ridding the CABO for awhile now and my kite is like new; 2dr is the stuff;
thing is great, jumps great, upwind is awesome, If I like this kite you will too;
never had the wing tip pinch on stock setting;
low end < grunt> seems fine for 11m,
only thing that helped me was some 3m extensions for the trees are very tall, here in argentina;,,,,,,
www.realwatersports.com you get a extra 35 bucks off if you mention secret agent sent you? and buy complete kite;

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: