Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Moving from straps to boots?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 18, 14 9:52 am    Moving from straps to boots? Reply with quote

I couldn’t find much information online or on this forum about moving from straps to boots. I used to wakeboard a little and I’m now kind of curious in trying boots while kiteboarding but also nervous about the additional risk associated.

Does anyone have any advice on next steps, recovering from crashes, what to watch for etc . I guess my biggest concern is being yarded face first downwind and the logistics of getting the board under me (instead of behind)

Cheers,
Jer

hoarhey

Since 20 Jul 2008
63 Posts
the corridor

PostFri Apr 18, 14 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Use the board as a sea anchor!!! Then when the kite is at 12 o'clock, do what you always do.

The transition from straps to boards is simple, you just need to get used to the feeling of a 10 foot brick attacked to your feet.

Why change to boots? Trying to look cool or do you just want more connection to your twin tip?
In the latter case I suggest using bicycle innertubes passed through your straps. Cheap and keeps you nice and tight, plus your feet come out when they need to.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 18, 14 11:30 am     Reply with quote

Misinformed is about right Smile

Boots allow you to hold down more board, so you can load against more water, so you can get more explosive pop off the water into raley based tricks. It's super fun, will feel a bit sketchy at first, but once you're used to it, you'll never go back.

The one thing to be careful of is digging toe or heel side edge in while keeping the bar pulled in and the kite powered. This usually happens when you're trying to save the kite from crashing when an unhooked trick doesn't go right. Don't hesitate to drop that bar when trying to do unhooked tricks, otherwise you'll get elongated and something in your body will have to give, usually your shoulders. Let the kite crash!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1727 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 18, 14 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

hey jerp when you get boots make sure you don't go with an old cheap pair you got off craigslist that were intended for wakeboarding. they are probably too heavy and incorrect hole pattern. go with a kite specific boot and they can come either closed or open toe. if you go with closed toe, make sure its big enough that your toes don't curl up when riding. I know Ronix boots were on the small size and this happened to me as well as pretty much anyone riding ronix relics. they are great boots but now there are many good boot choices for kiters. Pepi's shop is now open so you might check with what he is carrying
also just keep your boots loose when first getting used to riding. this will allow your feet to propel out in the event you become powered up and your board is stuck in the water.

Sabo

Since 13 May 2013
51 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Apr 18, 14 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

Woo! Come on over to the darkside my friend! Wink

So my biggest thing when it comes to boots is as long as you are a confident kiter (can stay upwind and do basic tricks) - you are totally ready! There is this silly rumor out there that boots are more "dangerous" than straps. In reality, more injuries have happened because of one foot coming out of your strap and the other staying in. At least in my experience, I know more people with knee injuries from kiting without boots than with boots. With boots, your board can't whip you in the face and you can to a split or twist your knee. True - boots allow you to not bail out of a mega loop, and yes when you crash you are going to feel it a bit more. Other than that, boots aren't more "dangerous" or "safer" - just another way to ride!

If you are worried about the crashes, you can always just clip to your flagging line or 5th line, that way when you crash the kite totally depowers. The first crash is always the scariest because you aren't sure what to expect, but I promise once you have it you will quickly be hooked on boots. Also - kitescoop.com has a lot of information on this topic (as well as a lot of BS on other topics) if you are trying to read a lot.

Agree with what Stringy said - totally don't waste your money on a cheap pair of old wakeboard boots. Find either Ronix boots, or specific kite boots from LF and you will be stoked! Old boots are too heavy and will really change the game.

If you want to session with me for your first time on boots give me a shout at 720 480 7933 and we will take you for a ride! I promise that you won't go back, it's so much fun. I progressed so much more once I switched to boots because I stopped thinking about the board staying on my feet and clinching my toes.

You will figure out how to orient yourself with the boots on - I promise. Again, if anything goes wrong, just flag out the kite, readjust yourself and then clip back in. Simple!

See you in the Park!

Office: (252) 489-2959 x0248
Mobile: (720) 480-7933
www.bestkiteboarding.com

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostFri Apr 18, 14 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

Sabo wrote:

So my biggest thing when it comes to boots is as long as you are a confident kiter (can stay upwind and do basic tricks) - you are totally ready! There is this silly rumor out there that boots are more "dangerous" than straps. In reality, more injuries have happened because of one foot coming out of your strap and the other staying in. At least in my experience, I know more people with knee injuries from kiting without boots than with boots. With boots, your board can't whip you in the face and you can to a split or twist your knee. True - boots allow you to not bail out of a mega loop, and yes when you crash you are going to feel it a bit more. Other than that, boots aren't more "dangerous" or "safer" - just another way to ride!

If you are worried about the crashes, you can always just clip to your flagging line or 5th line, that way when you crash the kite totally depowers. The first crash is always the scariest because you aren't sure what to expect, but I promise once you have it you will quickly be hooked on boots. Also - kitescoop.com has a lot of information on this topic (as well as a lot of BS on other topics) if you are trying to read a lot.

Agree with what Stringy said - totally don't waste your money on a cheap pair of old wakeboard boots. Find either Ronix boots, or specific kite boots from LF and you will be stoked! Old boots are too heavy and will really change the game.

If you want to session with me for your first time on boots give me a shout at 720 480 7933 and we will take you for a ride! I promise that you won't go back, it's so much fun. I progressed so much more once I switched to boots because I stopped thinking about the board staying on my feet and clinching my toes.

You will figure out how to orient yourself with the boots on - I promise. Again, if anything goes wrong, just flag out the kite, readjust yourself and then clip back in. Simple!

See you in the Park!

I tried boots for the very first time last Summer when I rolled into Stevenson and Brandon had a brand new kite I wanted to try. He said I could take his board too. Then he said, but you will have to ride in my boots. I figured what do I have to loose. Well, I absolutely had nothing to loose. I had a great time and was happy that I discovered another way to kite. I had been riding on a strapless surf shape most of the time and the diversity of the boots opened my mind to a twin tip again. Since then, I have been riding surfboards strapped and unstrapped and boots on a twin tip. I really have no desire to ride a strapped twin again.
The fear I had of boots was putting them on, especially at Stevenson where there is no sand. I just drug out into the channel and slid my feet right in. Since then I have tried two other type and did struggle getting my feet in. Like Rich and Stringy said, get kite specific boots and get some that are easy to get on and off.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 18, 14 4:28 pm     Reply with quote

I've been wondering about boots too. Its cool to see another great thread with lots of supportive advice. nwkite forum rules!

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 18, 14 4:31 pm    boots Reply with quote

get these from me,(new never worn) put em on a Slingy Asylum, and rock out like Eric R.

1300481361497674316939.jpeg 

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 18, 14 7:13 pm     Reply with quote

I agree Shivermetimbers, awesome feedback from the forum as usual. Thank you everyone !!

Why move to boots? Well, many reasons. I’m used to riding in boots from wakeboarding/snowboarding, wanted to try something new, phoooocking sick of trying to do tricks and having a leg pop out, tried numerous straps/pads and its just not the same feeling as a boot..... lastly..... it’s better to regret something you did do than something you didn’t Smile

I have a slingshot Asylum and was planning on getting some kind SS boots (verdict maybe) but will pop into Pepi’s tomorrow if I make it down.

super excited to get some boots now and give it a go, cheers everyone

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 18, 14 7:19 pm     Reply with quote

Sabo wrote:

See you in the Park!

thanks for the offer !! i will iron out the super basic mistakes first so i dont ruin your session Smile

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 18, 14 9:53 pm     Reply with quote

i have spent the night checking out boots... Ronix ones, SS Verdict and Rads

is there any benefit to having open toe vs not?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSat Apr 19, 14 8:42 am     Reply with quote

If you ride off a sandy beach, it's nice to have open toe because it will evacuate the sand. Getting your feet nice and sandy makes it so you feet slide right in. Though, I like closed toe boots as well. I don't think there is any real advantage for one or the other.

Those boots Danglers is selling are really good. I used to ride the crap out of those.

jerp wrote:
i have spent the night checking out boots... Ronix ones, SS Verdict and Rads

is there any benefit to having open toe vs not?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSat Apr 19, 14 8:45 am     Reply with quote

Sabo wrote:
With boots, your board can't whip you in the face and you can to a split or twist your knee.

I started riding boots after knocking four teeth out when my strap board flew off my feet and landed on my face. $8,000 later in dental work, boots were an obvious choice for me. BTW, I don't look like my profile picture anymore. Smile

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 19, 14 10:05 am    haha Reply with quote

I saw you when you did that, blood running down your face and a big gap toothed grin, you were stoked because you had landed some trick for the first time. I remember thinking there must be brain damage as well! Laughing

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSat Apr 19, 14 11:35 pm    Strap mod Reply with quote

I am still new to riding with boots and I have only tried a couple of times. I can't say that I am comfortable yet... The biggest problem that I have seen so far is coming in and out of the boots while trying to fly the kite. I may not have chosen the best boots design but I have a 2013 Reflex Wakeboard with boots...New but not specifically designed for kiteboarding...Maybe it was a mistake but I intend to keep trying to make it work.

One of my reasons for wanting to move to boots is because I keep coming off my straps on my Naish board (using 2012 Ally bindings) during front rolls. Forget about raleys and/or dark slides... I just can't seem to be able to stay in the straps... Most likely a technique issue...I like the board and I like the design of the Ally bindings and I have been trying to modify the attachment points to make it better fit on my foot (3d printing helps with that)... My latest mod on the strap is the addition of a bungee strap to keep the back of the foot secured from sliding out. See attached pic.
I have not tried this yet but I see on this thread that others have done similar mods with bicycle inner tubes...

unnamed-2.jpg 

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSun Apr 20, 14 7:41 am    Re: haha Reply with quote

Yea, I had been working on that particular trick for about 3 months the previous season, and then the Fall came and I couldn't ride for 6 months. I spent the entire winter training what I thought was the muscles I needed for it, lots of gymnastics and upper body stuff. I think it was the third day of kiting in April 2008, landed my first raley to blind after a few tries. Next attempt I was pretty relaxed because I had finally done it and let my guard down. Fell backwards after missing the pass, board flew off my feet (straps) and into the air, wind pushed the board and the tip of it landed in my mouth. I was stoked though, until they told me the price.

Anyway, back on topic. The Reflex has a lot of rocker and is going to need strong, clean wind to work. When it does work though it's pretty rad cause it will handle hot landings with ease. I'd see if you can fit those boots to a kiteboard though.

When strapping on your boots, get them really tight. You want both of them to stay on. No one footer crashes with boots or your knees will hate you. No matter how tight you get them, if you crash hard enough, in the right direction, you will pop out, they're designed for that.

Good luck!

dangler wrote:
I saw you when you did that, blood running down your face and a big gap toothed grin, you were stoked because you had landed some trick for the first time. I remember thinking there must be brain damage as well! Laughing

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Apr 20, 14 9:39 am    Re: Strap mod Reply with quote

sromano1995 wrote:
I am still new to riding with boots and I have only tried a couple of times. I can't say that I am comfortable yet... The biggest problem that I have seen so far is coming in and out of the boots while trying to fly the kite. I may not have chosen the best boots design but I have a 2013 Reflex Wakeboard with boots...New but not specifically designed for kiteboarding...Maybe it was a mistake but I intend to keep trying to make it work.

One of my reasons for wanting to move to boots is because I keep coming off my straps on my Naish board (using 2012 Ally bindings) during front rolls. Forget about raleys and/or dark slides... I just can't seem to be able to stay in the straps... Most likely a technique issue...I like the board and I like the design of the Ally bindings and I have been trying to modify the attachment points to make it better fit on my foot (3d printing helps with that)... My latest mod on the strap is the addition of a bungee strap to keep the back of the foot secured from sliding out. See attached pic.
I have not tried this yet but I see on this thread that others have done similar mods with bicycle inner tubes...

the pad seems very similair to the material i had on my LF edge pads - maybe they were called Luxury binding...not sure.,...

anyhow, i got great advice from Pepi at 2nd wind one day when i went there pissed off with constantly coming out of the straps. In your living room stand on the pad slightly forcing more weight onto one foot at a time as you tighten the strap. You will notice the minute you shift your weight that the strap is now very tight as your not compressiing the foam on the pad fully. I had to tweak it a little and not tighten fully (just bring the strap to the top of your foot, don;t fully tighten) as it was hard to get strap on when riding.

i also noticed that the more ducked out my stance is the better i stay in the binding, it almost forces your foot into the strap a little better the greater the angle. i have not taken it past 18dgrees so i no idea what happens past that point Wink

Last Saturday I was wearing very thin booties (almost like socks) when riding and the combination of booties and straps almost always ends in a one foot crash followed by a series of F bombs in front of kids at the ES, this is why i started this topic Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: