Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lessons learned from Lost Kite at Rufus
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 17, 14 2:19 pm    kite rescue Reply with quote

Reading thru this post got me to thinking about all the kitemares I've witnessed (or been a part of!) over the years rescueing unmanned kites. Too many to list! One of the better ones, guys kite gets away from him late in the day at Stevie, I'm the only guy still out and he asks me to get it. I'm a little reluctant cuz its pretty far down, late summer day fading wind, etc. , but the guy looks so heartbroken I give it a try.

So I get to the kite, get a pretty good hold and get up and going pretty good when I get ripped off of my board, faceplant crash! So its early days,('01 or '02) and I used a retractable dog leash for a board leash. I had run into his kitebar, wrapping my board around it. I slide on my stomach to the end of the leash which causes his kite to launch in the opposite direction, suspending me mid air. I bounce up down off the water a coupla times wondering how the hell I'm going to get out of this when my board flips around off his bar. Whew!

So that's part of the reason I'm hesitant to rescue kites, got a few more, but I don't want to scare anyone lest they hesitate to rescue my overly expensive runaway kite in the future. (wink)

MORAL OF THE STORY: Unless you're Mitch Buchanon, or the mighty Sean, be very circumspect about rescueing loose kites. (replaceable gear et. al.) Shit can happen that you don't expect, and I've seen things get real ugly real quick.

But man, it sure is a good feeling when you get that stuff back! And its fun to be the hero of the hour (and occasionally there's free beer!)

Last edited by dangler on Thu Apr 17, 14 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Apr 17, 14 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
I know there are guys out there that have rescued kites while kiteboarding. I would be interested in learning more about their technique. To me it seems a lot more dangerous than simply picking up a board however.

You played it safe and that is always the best call. I've been in your shoes before and once your kite slid into the water a quick swim and grab was probably your best option but those Rufus fishing lines seem to be growing in numbers causing a whole other "angle" problem.

Rescuing a loose kite that can entangle you and double your power is always sketch. I upwind side approach and grab a self-rescue hand strap (if the kite has it) and drag it in while trying to hold it high to keep it out of the water and lessen the kite drag. Bridle and tip works too but the kite flops around more. The issue is the bar is typically acting like a rusty propeller winding the shit out of the lines and who knows what it can get caught on so be ready to bail and reapproach if it tightens and powers up. I never grab the bar or unhook any lines. I basically just grab and go. Not sure if that's the best method but so far it's worked fairly well for me. I've seen guys dump the LE air successfully, replug, and drag/carry in the kite. Usually a loose kites mean nuking winds so you need your cat-like reflexes ready to go as you pet the tiger. It's a great karma builder but an advanced risk. If you're not 100% confident better to let it float as many river kites typically get recovered sooner or later.

Hope you get your kite back and glad to hear you had support from both sides of the river trying to help.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Apr 17, 14 2:47 pm    Re: kite rescue Reply with quote

dangler wrote:
So its early days,('01 or '02) and I used a retractable dog leash for a board leash. I had run into his kitebar, wrapping my board around it. I slide on my stomach to the end of the leash which causes his kite to launch in the opposite direction, suspending me mid air. I bounce up down off the water a coupla times wondering how the hell I'm going to get out of this when my board flips around off his bar. Whew!

You lost me after I read "retractable dog leash". Dangler, so classic! Thumb's Up

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Apr 17, 14 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

Sella,

Of the techniques listed, the self rescue strap does seem like it might be the safest approach.

Makes me wonder though, does the dragging bar ever slingshot (pardon the term) towards you?

Also, I had wrapped my bar up on the beach and then tied a couple of loops so I only had about 10' of line from the bar to the kite. Wonder if this would have reacted differently as well.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Apr 17, 14 7:49 pm     Reply with quote

I lost a brand new 12 meter at Stevenson in early spring once. There was a fire in cascade locks side and the firemen would not let me look for my kite. When I came back that afternoon the kite and bar were nowhere to be found. I later found out that someone saw a guy deflating it at the waterfront park in cascade locks. He told them he was going to take it back to Stevenson to look for the owner. Never did get the kite back, but I can't imagine seeing my kite right there and not coming back to get it till the next day. That sounds like you must have plenty of cash to spring for a new one.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 17, 14 8:58 pm    HAHA JOSH Reply with quote

You Islanders forget how freakin cold it gets here, blood get tin in de tropics mon.

But I hear you! I'd be wantin to McGuyver some kine fishing rig wid me spare bar, reel that Mofo to shore fer sho.

But then I'd be like, fuk it brah, five year ol kite not worth chillin my pakalolo's!

Was that the big fire on the ridge that almost took out Bear Mountain lumber?

That was some wild kiting that day!

Nother quick loose kite mare,guy teaching in LV years ago swims out to grab a students kite, index finger somehow gets a loop of line around-kite powers and takes all the flesh off to the bone. De-Gloving accident its called. Had his finger sewn into his abdominal cavity to heal. Looked like Napolean walking around for a coupla weeks. Last I saw it looked like a fat sausage complete with the string holding the end closed! Holy Cow!

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Apr 18, 14 7:39 am     Reply with quote

dangler,
Pac high and I were there that day when Daryl (i believe) got finger filleted .
We were staying at pelican reef next door. Shay helped prep it for the drive to lapaz for that finger into tummy surgery.....that was like 10 years ago.

run away kites are scary.....

that was a student he was teachings kite and he received the pain for sure he was helping her learn not a runaway kite tho.
wonder if captn k insurance covered that.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 18, 14 9:19 am     Reply with quote

I retrieved my last run-a-way kite 2 years ago at Jones. The image that will stop me from ever being a good Samaritan a la kite rescue is when I was lofted super high with TWO kites. The "rescue" kites lines had wrapped my hook & de-power, preventing me from any control, and then BOTH kite lit up. So glad I was 1/4 mile from any solid obstructions. Never treat a errant kite retrieval lightly. Yikes.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Apr 18, 14 10:05 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
Makes me wonder though, does the dragging bar ever slingshot (pardon the term) towards you?

Also, I had wrapped my bar up on the beach and then tied a couple of loops so I only had about 10' of line from the bar to the kite. Wonder if this would have reacted differently as well.

Never had a bar slingshot back....and also never caught a dragging bar on something below so I guess I've been lucky but both instances could probably happen. (?) Kind of what Nak says...."always be prepared for the worst and hope for the best." Smile

Having 10' of line looped probably impacted the way the kite floated with the current more than anything else. I really think somebody has your kite. They don't end up being Dam food like our boards.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Apr 18, 14 10:54 am    Kitemares Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the kitemares.

In a sorta weird and demented kinda way it actually makes me feel better about losing my kite. After all, I know that I had plenty of opportunities to get it. Most likely I would have been fine.... But, listening to the tales gone wrong it provides for a good reminder that we should always think about safety first and money second.

I think the fact this thread has been alive so long has increased my odds of getting my kite back. Perhaps somebody has it. Perhaps that person will do the right thing and contact me (I am willing to pay a reward).

On the flip side, I bought that kite used. It didn't cost me much, and I have learned a ton from the responses on this thread.

Thanks for all your support.

/John

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Apr 18, 14 7:39 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe a better description... seen a few rpms around the state ..maybe yours??

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Apr 19, 14 5:57 am     Reply with quote

This story reminds me of the last day I saw our friend jay Runge. His chicken loop broke and kite went in the water. He couldn't get the kite to relaunch and for some reason the kite released down wind. With the power of my kite, I bodydragged him back to our launch. His comment was that he would have preferred it if I would have fetched his kite and just let him swim in. Anyways, I went out kiting after I got him back to shore. I remember having a horrible session and didn't realize it until after the fact that I was showing symptoms of hyperthermia.
I didn't find out what Jay did until a few days later. His car was sighted downwind from our launch repeatedly over several days but no one had seen or talked to him. I mentioned how he had lost his kite a few days earlier. His friends put two and two together and went out on the water with jet skis and ultimately found his body. He like you, went swimming out to retrieve his kite. And I'm sure, based on my symptoms that day, had succumed to hyperthermia.
For retrieving gear, I personally wouldn't go out swimming. I would do it under the power of a kite, a boat, or a SUP, and maybe a longboard. But you should never pursue a kite without using the buddy system, or at least tell someone what you are doing.
Kites are replaceable, people are not.

Last edited by sfbomber on Mon Apr 21, 14 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Apr 20, 14 9:13 am     Reply with quote

sfbomber ,

I'm not really sure how to respond to this.

You must miss your friend tremendously. This is a very sad story.

After reading your post I read it to my wife (who by the way used to use our lost 8M RPM way more than I did). We are both moved by your story. Thank you for sharing. It is a very powerful reminder of the fact we are all simply pawns of nature. While we get great enjoyment from nature, we must always respect her and be aware of our limitations.

May Jay rest in peace knowing that his story may save others of us from making similar mistakes.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Apr 20, 14 3:18 pm     Reply with quote

SFbomber, heartbreaking story. Sad

What is so easy to forget is that the first thing to go with hypothermia is judgement. You may be an expert kiter, but hypothermia steals all of your experience and skill from you. The onset is insidious, and as it takes over your impaired judgement makes it extremely difficult for you to realize that you're rapidly losing both strength and coordination. I was there a couple of years ago at Stevenson when a canoer fell in the water maybe 15 - 20 feet from shore. He rested for a few minutes then slipped under the water and drowned. Scary stuff.

Rescuing a runaway kite can be pretty hairy. Under the right conditions it can be done, and I've seen guys make it look easy. Under different conditions it can be very dangerous... I did jetski resue for KB4C for a number of years and have a lot of rescues under my belt, and runaway kites are by far the hardest. Unless you're under power, you'll end up with dragging lines between you and the kite. Even if you're under power and can come up from side wind--staying clear of the lines--, if you miss the first grab the kite will be by you and you'll be in the lines. What you have to do is wait for the kite to settle on the water for a moment. Don't approach it while it's rolling along. The safest method I found, though not the coolest looking, was to wait for it to settle for a moment, the kill the 'ski and dive on a wing tip. (I kept a tether to the 'ski) Roll up the lines. If you're experienced with kite carry on a 'ski you can hang on to the inflated kite, if not then it's best to deflate the kite for the ride back.

Obviously, lighter winds make for an easier rescue. Still, stay clear of the lines. Damned hard to do while swimming...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: