Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Like a light switch!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 14, 14 9:43 pm    Like a light switch! Reply with quote

Amazing how quick the wind can shut off in the spring. Think about that big swim this time of year and err on the cautious side.

That last reach on a dying wind can be a chilly one! Live Long and Dangle On!

Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Embarassed Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Apr 15, 14 7:11 am     Reply with quote

I thought you were referring to how quickly the west wind picked up yesterday.
It looks like it died almost as quickly at Stevenson, but then came back around sunset.

Good reminder to "dress for the swim" as the air warms up but the water is still cold.

stevie414.gif 

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 15, 14 8:55 am     Reply with quote

It was a nice day for a swim.

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 15, 14 9:59 am     Reply with quote

hilton wrote:

Good reminder to "dress for the swim" as the air warms up but the water is still cold.

Yep. What you can't see in John's pic is me in the middle of the river slowly heading for Cascade Locks... I thought about going with my wetsuit, but opted for the drysuit "just in case" and was glad I did.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue Apr 15, 14 11:42 am     Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that was yours and John's punishment for not going to Jones like Tracy wanted................ Wink

jones1.jpg 

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Apr 15, 14 11:59 am     Reply with quote

D-Krep It Kiter wrote:
hilton wrote:

Yep. What you can't see in John's pic is me in the middle of the river slowly heading for Cascade Locks... I thought about going with my wetsuit, but opted for the drysuit "just in case" and was glad I did.

Smart call. Thanks for appeasing the wind Gods because today looks solid.

sfakia.jpg 

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostTue Apr 15, 14 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

D-Krep,
Wasn't it you who went for a cold swim about this time last year?? That was a great post. Sounds like you learned your lesson. Wink

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 15, 14 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

You know Spring is here when Dkrep goes for a nice long swim Wink Time for me to bust out my gear and give the water a try again.

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 15, 14 1:10 pm     Reply with quote

JeffT wrote:
D-Krep,
Wasn't it you who went for a cold swim about this time last year?? That was a great post. Sounds like you learned your lesson. Wink

Yep. Last year I went for a cold swim when I broke a line just after leaving Home Valley. Very lengthly self-rescue (about 2.5 hours total) but I got in on my own no problem. Yesterday I was well upwind of East Point when the wind dropped extremely quickly. I was fully powered on my 10m in line with Bob's Beach, saw a kite go down in front of East Point... even though I headed directly for the Washington shore, the wind dropped so fast that I still ended up swimming. At that time, two other kiters (John on his 12m and the guy I'd already seen down) also ended up with their kites in the water. After some time, John was able to relaunch and ultimately body drag to shore. The other guy was close enough that he could swim in. Dangler paddled out with his kayak and took my board for me so I could just focus on the kite & self-rescue. I wasn't the least bit cold. Main issue was there was so little wind, using the kite in self-rescue mode wasn't really getting me anywhere. I was almost completely out of the barge lane & swimming in when a couple of very friendly fishermen stopped and gave me a ride back (I had to force them to take $20 bucks "beer reward"!).

Its interesting that you mention that post last year.... that was exactly what made err on the side of "dressing for the swim"... so, yeah, live and learn!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: