Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite lines accident
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSun Apr 13, 14 8:50 pm    Kite lines accident Reply with quote

I am definitely not proud of this one but I definitely learned a few things from it and hoping that others will benefit from seeing this video.

As I rethink about the sequence of events, I believe that the #1 mistake I made was launching a kite in place while it was actually too deep in the wind window in relation to my buddy Dustin, an experienced kiter... I should have been more aware of the kite position in relation to the wind window. I should have moved upwind and/or waited for Dustin to move downwind...

#2 mistake I made is to assume that because a kiter is in the water when launching and he/she is experienced, nothing really bad can happen....

As a result of the kite being too deep in the window, I was not able to hold the kite as it powered up...
It would probably have been ok if not for the fact that the lines were caught and the kite looped out of control...

I am just glad than nobody else got hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKZl0TvZPJU

jblum

Since 13 Jul 2008
305 Posts
The Gorge
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 14, 14 5:05 am    Thoughts... Reply with quote

#1!! THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT!!!

When a kite is launched it is 100% the responsibility of the kiter to 1) assess the situation for the launch, 2) assess the person who is launching them, 3) assess the wind conditions and direction, 4) assess they have the right kite for the conditions, 5) assess they have all their shit setup correctly, 6) assess that that they aren't about to get hot launched taking you out and getting drug on their face accross the beach.

When things go wrong on the launch, the person helping with the launch can help out a lot and prevent disaster, rescue the kite, jump on their friend getting pulled out of control, whever...but in the end, its the yahoo strapped to the thing who is the responsible party, and who will get screwed if they screw it up.

Glad no one was hurt. Thanks for sharing.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Apr 14, 14 6:30 am     Reply with quote

Hi JBlum. Thanks for the analysis. Just to be clear, I am not trying to place any blame on anybody here... Just trying to invite people to reflect that even when experienced (like both of us were), we can make mistakes that can turn ugly really quick.

In this case, my buddy was not ready and I should have been able to remain in control of the kite as he and I assessed the lines situation. He was in the water (deep) and was probably drifting with the current upwind...It would have been a lot easier for me to walk a couple of yards upwind to gradually bring the kite up and have the time to clearly see what was going on with the lines...

Also, in this instance, my buddy never got a chance to give me the OK sign and, honestly, I did not have a chance to wait for it, because I was not able to hold the kite...

There is definitely a combinaison of bad things that happened here but none of the chain of events would have happened if I would have truly been on the edge of the wind window and able to control the kite.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 14, 14 6:52 am     Reply with quote

I think it's a lot easier for the person launching with the bar to position themselves correctly - than to ask the individual holding to kite to move upwind or downwind. At stevenson, the only person with wiggle room is the one holding the kite.

The person with the bar can get a sense of how wrong the angle is as soon as they put the slightest tension into the lines - too hot and the kite begins to flatten/bow - just relieve the tension before it knocks anyone over.

I think there are a number of ways things could have been done differently here, but the best preventative measure is to be roughly cognizant of the best launch angle at your regular kite spots. It's super easy to get wrong at spot you've never kited before. Very Happy

Last edited by consumer on Mon Apr 14, 14 6:58 am; edited 2 times in total

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostMon Apr 14, 14 6:57 am     Reply with quote

i clicked on the video hoping to see some carnage!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

slacker

Since 26 Apr 2008
32 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Apr 14, 14 7:40 am    Don't be in such a hurry, Safety first! Reply with quote

I know all locations are different... But here there was plenty room to make sure that you get the right angle to the wind. Too many people get into a launching position with their kite way too hot. That makes it really hard for the launcher to control the kite. Stretch the lines out in a colder launch position, then walk the person downwind until in a proper location in the window for a good launch.

Everyone lucky it wasn't worse and there was no one in the kill zone!

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 14, 14 8:43 am     Reply with quote

I agree with jblum, not your fault. Looks like a bridle problem (wrap) to me as the kiter showed no control over the kite. One thing I would add is I think kites should be launched towards the water, not towards land. "Keep it low and go" is the mantra.
I got a nice rope burn on my neck when I got hammered by a wave and lost tension in my lines. When the wave caught up to my downed kite, the wave powered up my kite and the lines rubbed along my neck. I was lucky that no lines got wrapped, but the lines did leave a nice rope burn. I gave a friend a nice rope burn from a Slingshot B2 trainer. Rope burn is something that every kiter should be aware of.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostMon Apr 14, 14 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Did your buddy give you thumbs up to release the kite?

http://eclipsefilms.com/

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Apr 14, 14 8:59 am     Reply with quote

Sorry guys but I disagree. This is a launcher issue just as much as a kiter issue.

Granted the kite looks a little soft, which does not help, but once Serge grabbed it he dragged it up wind taking a few steps backward but as he turned it over it "snapped" to life and he didn't hang on because he had grabbed it by the tail end and wasn't ready. Shit happens fast so as soon as you touch any kite you better be ready to hang on because it's not always going to be perfectly sitting on the edge of the window as the kiter is checking lines, safety, walking up/down wind window, gathering board etc and then giving the thumbs up. You hang on because the alternative is a drag race.

The kiter is relying on the launcher to buy him time while he's pre-flighting but instead they both get bitch slapped twice with no white caps showing while launching with unlimited beach space. Sad. Lesson learned. Glad all is well.

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 14, 14 10:38 am     Reply with quote

I agree, I had a guy launch me before I gave the thumbs up, and barely avoided carnage. It also the launchers responsibility to follow the rules. Fukin common sense.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 14, 14 10:49 am     Reply with quote

This is a great video and here are my take away items.

1- No matter what your ability, shit happens
2- No matter ability, we all forget safety first, go slow and think
3- I for one, sometimes get complacent and in a hurry, need to slow down and think

sromano1995, THANK YOU FOR THE POST!
This was a great reminder

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 14, 14 10:59 am     Reply with quote

I am not sure who is to blame and I know that that is not the reason for your post. All I can say is that it never matters who is to blame but it is the kiter hooked in to the kite who will pay in the end. So either way, I think that it is great that you took the time to post this for all of us to learn. Thank you!

SR

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 14, 14 11:00 am     Reply with quote

I agree with this example, no one was at fault.

Would the following be correct?

1- The rider was not giving and was not ready to give a “go” signal.
2- The launch person would could not hold the kite, it powered unanticipated, to hot an angle
3- The rider was too deep into the water and drifting, causing line misalignment
4- The kite was lifted into flying position too early, the rider was not ready
5- Lines and bridle were not fully inspected
6- Before lifting kite look to see wind direction for being too hot

Again, I love this video as a reminder, season opener

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Apr 14, 14 11:04 am     Reply with quote

WindSki wrote:
This is a great video and here are my take away items.

1- No matter what your ability, shit happens
2- No matter ability, we all forget safety first, go slow and think
3- I for one, sometimes get complacent and in a hurry, need to slow down and

Great advice, slow down and adhere to your normal preflight practices! I make to tell someone that I don't know launching my kite ( actually everyone) to not let go of the kite till I give the thumbs up.

I'm going to have to get stats from "safety Rick" who publishes info on kiting safety and maintains stats about accidents, but the acts of launching and landing kites is one of the most dangerous acts for kiting.

Serge you are lucky!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Apr 14, 14 11:25 am     Reply with quote

I'm going to agree with Sella here. There are two issues that I see:

1. Rider. Something is wrong with the rigging of the kite. Either at the bar or at the kite. Also, the kite appears under inflated. Consider dumping to the safety line. If the kite had been released to a single line safety right after it impacted the ground the first time, no injury would have occurred.

2. Launcher. I don't think it's as much a wind window problem here as you didn't have a secure enough grip on the kite. Always assume the kite is rigged wrong and will try and kill you until you verify the kite is behaving normally and visually check the lines. Be especially attentive to a line being wrapped around a wingtip. On some kites, this can be very difficult to see. (My guess is that is what happened here.) Keep an iron grip on the kite until you feel comfortable, THEN look for the rider to give the thumbs up. Move if you need to to adjust the wind window orientation, ideally the rider will do this but it's not always possible. When a kite behaves like this once, don't look at the rider, put the kite down now. Once the kite is safe, then determine what happened and why. AFTER you determine the cause and fix it, then you can begin the launch again. Most important lesson? Keep that iron grip on the kite until you've proved that the kite is completely ready for launch. Then look for the thumbs up.

3. Everybody. It's easy to get in the habit of expecting everything will go fine on a launch. People see what they expect to see. Look for the lines to be OK, and you'll most likely see them as OK, even if they are not. Instead, look for a line to be wrapped on a wing tip. Look for front and rear lines to be reversed. Look for the bridle to be tangled in some slight manner. When you are the rider launching, EXPECT your kite to go out of control EXPECT your lines to be connected wrong. EXPECT that you will have to dump the kite to the safety. Be on a trigger to react to what you know is about to go wrong. In short, look for something to be wrong and be pleasantly surprised when it's not. You will react faster and better to incidents like this when you are expecting them to happen. It's hard, you may go years with everything perfect, yet you still must assume things are going to go to hell on every launch and landing. Your reaction will be several seconds faster and far more appropriate if you are expecting it. I've been flying professionally for 30 years. Each and every takeoff I expect the worst. I believe on every takeoff that a brake will lock or an engine will catastrophically fail. I'm on a hair trigger waiting for something terrible to happen. That belief and expectation will ensure that every one of my passengers will walk away safely if it ever does happen. Same thing with launching a kite. That kite is going to try and kill you or a bystander each and every time you launch or land. Believe it and be happily surprised when it doesn't. Your reaction time will be AT LEAST several seconds faster. Those seconds might just be critical. Look for the lines to be screwed up in some manner; expect and believe they are attached wrong or tangled. Find out where the malfunction is; be surprised when you don't find it. If you look at the kite expecting to see it rigged correctly, it's way less likely you'll see a problem. When you pick up the kite, EXPECT that it's going to try and kill you. Keep a secure, IRON, grip on it till you've proved that it's behaving normally. Doesn't matter if you're too deep in the window or the kite is rigged wrong, just expect something to go wrong and hang on to that kite for dear life. The life you save may be mine!! Very Happy

Good lesson learned. You can see even in light winds shit can happen. Better to learn this lesson at Sauvie than at Rooster when it's gusting to 45. Shocked

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon Apr 14, 14 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

Nak totally right.

My opinion ,both at fault... I thought something bad was going to happen tho.........the injury pic really put it into the none event category.. except for fear. sorry.

If something bad would have really happened as it really could have well then we could hyperanaylize......if this was called carnage this sport would be done long ago.

the guy on the camera was holding out for a real event.....

most the fun is the anticipation.

Last edited by registered on Mon Apr 14, 14 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 14, 14 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

Nak
Really like your advice. I’m going to build a better pre flight plan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: