Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

booties???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
treegeek

Since 04 Aug 2013
24 Posts

PostSat Apr 12, 14 11:59 am    booties??? Reply with quote

No...not THAT kind of booty! Wink

I'm a fairly new kiter, took lessons up in Squamish, and then spent a week in La Ventana in January, and I'm psyched to get out around here this spring/summer (Jones, Gorge, etc.). My question is whether most folks wear booties up here. I didn't during my lessons in Squamish and didn't need them in LV. I need to get new straps for my board, and I'm wondering whether I should get a larger size to accommodate booties, or a smaller size since my feet are only a size 8 or so.

I probably won't be riding much in the winter when the air and water temp is too cold.

Any advice?

Thanks!

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostSat Apr 12, 14 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

get em big enough for booties. cause next year on your second season, you're gonna be itching to go in march when the water is still freezing.

plan for mishaps

but no, most people don't wear booties in the late sprinng / summer / fall.

KCM

Since 30 Jun 2013
53 Posts
Woodland WA.

PostSun Apr 13, 14 12:41 am     Reply with quote

I wore them today at SI, and so did about 50% of the 10 riders there....I spent more time in the water than most of the guys since I'm a relative newbie like you. I didn't have any problem fitting into my board straps although I thought I initially would.
On the flip side, those not wearing the booties, said they got use to it pretty fast even though they complained about it.

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Apr 13, 14 6:16 am     Reply with quote

another alternative that worked pretty well for me in February was a pair of seal socks. It wasn't perfect, but enough to keep me going. If you don't like the feel of booties they are a viable alternative and don't require much by way of extra strap space.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostSun Apr 13, 14 7:25 am     Reply with quote

I recommend booties, especially when you are learning.

The Gorge doesn't have very many nice sandy beaches, and it's not as easy to step gently over the rocks with a kite pulling on you. Plus you can't always look where you are stepping if you are watching the kite, so it is easy to stub your toes or find something sharp in the water.

If you find some thin comfortable booties, they shouldn't interfere with your riding and they could save you from a nasty cut. Most footstraps should have enough range to adjust to your feet with or without the booties, and eventually you will want to venture out in colder water.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Apr 13, 14 9:06 am     Reply with quote

jack wrote:
another alternative that worked pretty well for me in February was a pair of seal socks. It wasn't perfect, but enough to keep me going. If you don't like the feel of booties they are a viable alternative and don't require much by way of extra strap space.

i was wearing something similiar yesterday. They work great, thick enough to keep your feet warm but thin enough they don;t feel bulky

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Apr 13, 14 3:59 pm     Reply with quote

Atan Hot Mistral. Hands down, the warmest bootie. Period. Seriously. Also, it feels like you're wearing a sock. Complete board feel. When riding, you'd be hard pressed to notice you have a bootie on, other than your feet are warm. Con? Zero protection from rocks or reef. Feels like you're wearing a sock, including stepping on a rock wearing a sock. I've never cut one on a sharp rock, although there have been times when it sure felt like I did. I wear sandals over them to hike to the beach now.

I spent 30 minutes in the water once; 35 degree water temp, 20 degree air temp. My hands were frigid in the gloves. My feet were toasty warm. 'Nuff said. For 50 degree and warmer water the Atan Mistrals are good enough. (As opposed to the Atan HOT Mistral...) Even feels like less on your feet.

olephill

Since 22 Jul 2012
29 Posts

PostThu Apr 17, 14 8:48 pm    booties? Reply with quote

I am old and my feet get cold. I tried going barefoot in Florence one time and my feet were numb by the time I had been out 20 minutes. Makes it pretty tough to steer the board when you can't feel it. I also wear booties for protection from sharp rocks, irregular surfaces that, when one is cold and tired (and less than fully steady on one's feet) can nick up one's feet and ruin an otherwise great day/evening/next day/whatever...And in Maui the reef can slice your feet up just fine with no warning and at the most inopportune times...So, I always wear booties. Sure, the sensation is better when barefoot, but as with other pursuits, a little protection often pays large dividends... Wink

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 17, 14 9:20 pm    Yeah Nak Reply with quote

I picked up some Atans when you first mentioned em, and they're great. Excellent board feel cuz they're latex instead of neoprene. (Foot condoms?) There's a reason they don't make rubbers out of neoprene, no sensation!

Crying or Very sad
I got the lighter ones, and if its real chilly I have some five toe socks made from some fleecy stuff that work with em (they're split toe booties, which I much prefer).

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 18, 14 8:15 am     Reply with quote

I've ridden squamish in the summertime and it can be cold enough to justify wearing booties!
I know gorge kiters that wear booties all the time even in the summer.
not sure what board you are gonna use, but most boards have adjustable footstraps that allow for this very thing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: