Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Light Wind Kites
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 10, 14 11:05 am    Light Wind Kites Reply with quote

Been thinking of adding a Light wind 17m to the Quiver. I kite mostly gorge, Jones and the coast with the occasional Snowkite and TX trip. Anyone out there using this size kite around here? How many time a season do you use it? And where?

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 10, 14 11:24 am     Reply with quote

turbine!!!

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 10, 14 11:40 am     Reply with quote

I have an Airush 15 M one strut and use it at least once a month. It gets me out on light wind days and Vancouver locations like Frenchmans and Wintler Park.

My Ocean Rodeo 17 M flight will be here tomorrow.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Apr 10, 14 11:41 am     Reply with quote

Checkout the Ocean Rodeo Flite - great kite! Just spent a lot of time on it at the Thompson Pass Snowkite Festival. Replaced my 2012 Flite with the 2014.

www.freeridekiting.com

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Apr 10, 14 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

haha.... A bunch of different opinions on this subjects... And my guess is that all suggested kites are somewhat similar and get the job done: riding in the light wind conditions...

However, the only real way to know is to have a challenge....

Tomorrow, Friday April 11, looks like a perfect day to put these kites to the test at Sauvie.

Come with your turbine, flite, airrush, and I will bring my Contra (and a 6 pack of Heineken for the winner)...

How about 4:00PM start time (with possibility to come earlier for warm-up)

I am sure we can come up with some challenge: most time of the water, biggest air, etc....Suggestions welcome...

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Apr 10, 14 1:47 pm     Reply with quote

I wouldn't be able to make it... I'm in Deadhorse. It would interesting to see the results and feed back of a non biased event like that.

www.freeridekiting.com

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostThu Apr 10, 14 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

Purchase a foil instead. The last guy on the water at my local site is a guy flying a 10M on a foil.

Dwayne

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Apr 10, 14 3:03 pm    Love my Turbine Reply with quote

I love my turbine!!!

It has amazing range, and you can get big floaty jumps out of it (be sure to pump it up firm or the wings fold).

I'm a big guy and use my turbine in the Gorge quite a bit. There is many a day where I am the only guy in the water (dougs beach area). I can fly it from about 10 mph - 25 mph with the sweet spot being around 15-20.

With that being said, I was using my turbine with a smallish surboard in La Ventana and the guys on hydrofoil boards were ripping past me. Wouldn't want to go over a fish net with one of those things, but they are pretty amazing in light winds.

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 10, 14 6:04 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input, would like to see the Sauvies competition Smile

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostThu Apr 10, 14 8:49 pm     Reply with quote

I bought a Cloud 17 a while back and haven't had a chance to put it through the paces as it has been strong winds on all the days it has been forecasted to blow. Today I was kiting on my 7m as I was yesterday also. Maybe when summertime rolls around I will find myself on the Cloud 17 and can give some feedback. Until then I have no complaints about putting up small kites in high winds. Let it rip!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

dhannf

Since 29 Nov 2010
42 Posts

PostThu Apr 10, 14 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

I just got a blade fat last but haven't ridden it yet. Plan on getting it out in the next two weeks. Will post after.
Would like to hear how the Davies contest turns out.

Dan

dhannf

Since 29 Nov 2010
42 Posts

PostThu Apr 10, 14 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

Fat Lady

Dan

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 11, 14 5:54 am     Reply with quote

lots of great flying light wind kites out there. my suggestion when selecting a light wind kite is to demo it and intentially drop it in the water and test the relaunchability. this is where you will see the biggest differences in all kites. if there is one kite out there that will see the water more than any other in your quiver, it will be your light wind kite.
I have a 13m cloud. the day you were riding sauvies I was riding my 13m at frenchman's, which is even farther south towards the city where the wind is lighter. sauvies isn't a viable option for me so I go anywhere along the east side of the columbia when I can't spare the time to drive an hour to gorge/jones.
dwayne has the best solution. get a hydrofoil and rule sauvies. that darn current won't be too much effect with a foil and you can use a smaller kite that turns much quicker.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 11, 14 6:51 am     Reply with quote

People that are running the turbine I have a question. Currently I have Rally’s in sizes up to 10m. Am I insane to think about spacing, going from the 10m to the turbine with nothing in between? If the Turbine really can handle, controllable up to say 18 mph then sounds like it would work? Some facts, I’m a strong intermediate, kite in the gorge and have kited for a total of 150 days. (50 days each, past three years) Kite primarily Twin tip, 190ibs
Thanks

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Apr 11, 14 7:27 am     Reply with quote

WindSki, my big kite was a 14M RPM and I just picked up a 14M Rally and instantly noticed how light wind efficient and fast the Rally performed. Great range too. (I'm 200 pounds) Many good kites on the market but as an experienced rider you know how to get more leverage and apparent wind in your favor when working those 27M lines so I suggest you demo/borrow a 14m first to get a gauge of range etc. I think you'll be surprised.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Apr 11, 14 7:49 am    Range Reply with quote

Windski, I am actually thinking about the same thing.
Today, I have 10, 12 and now 15 LW (All Cabrinha: switchblades and contra)
I am actually thinking about selling my 12
I am 160lbs and my 10 works for me in 15mph+
For everything below 15mph, I plan to use my Contra 15m.
I see it this way:
Switchblade 10m: 13 - 25mph wind range
Contra 15 m: 7 - 15 mph wind range

Almost no range overlap but one less kite to carry Wink

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
780 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostFri Apr 11, 14 8:27 am     Reply with quote

Adding some surfboards into your board lineup can dramatically change your options... I have 13, 9, 7 kites and am 185-190.

I frequently can't stay upwind on my 9m w/ my 132 TT, but jump on the surfboard (i have a fish and sst) and have absolutely not problems due to the extra area.

Also, since we're talking lightwind - 13m / surfboard combo works fine in sub 10 mph if the current is right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: