Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Teaching a 12 year old
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
834 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Mar 24, 14 8:01 am    Teaching a 12 year old Reply with quote

I have been working with my son for a while now, he is proficient with the trainer kite, can do loops, figure 8's, etc. with ease. I have reviewed all of the rigging and safety issues with him, and he has flown my 6M on land several times. He is about 105-110 lbs, 5'2". I am trying to think what the next step will be to move him forward. Flying the kite on the land is fine, but I don't think that he is progressing much that way. Any other ideas, other than getting him in the water for some bodydragging?

We are in Southern California, so have relatively flat, relatively warm water available at Belmont Shore.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 24, 14 8:19 am     Reply with quote

while it's not a perfect cross over, I think getting up on a board and planing behind a boat or even with you running along the shore with a rope would be important learning. You could try this when there isn't any wind blowing.

ecameron

Since 29 Jul 2009
90 Posts
PDX

PostMon Mar 24, 14 8:45 am    I second that advice Reply with quote

Agree with the time behind a boat. Knowing board skills
will make kiting easier. It's not the same, but more similar than snowboarding, skating, etc. He'll be able to practice switch stance and how to take a good strong fall on the water, very important. I sometimes wonder why more people don't practice board skills prior to lessons.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
834 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Mar 24, 14 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Interesting, having wakeboarded myself, I don't find the two all that similar, but worth a shot I guess.

He is an accomplished snowboarder and skateboarder, so was thinking those board skills would be sufficient.

I think more time learning to control the kite is key.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Mar 24, 14 9:16 am     Reply with quote

Don't bother with a boat just take him to the local cable park.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Mar 24, 14 9:22 am     Reply with quote

If he is already a good boarder another option is a strapless landboard on the beach. Full set of pads and have him go for it. Excellent for teaching kite skills with momentum, slack lines...etc...etc.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 24, 14 9:24 am     Reply with quote

sounds like he's ready to get into the water and try body dragging.
i've taught a couple of kids and observed the different teaching methods here in the gorge.
the gorge has the sandbar with shallow water so it's easy for parents to get in the water with the kids and support their first attempts at body dragging, water starts, and their first rides.

if that's your setup - sounds like you're ready to get into the water and start with short body drag sessions.

if that's not your setup, beg, borrow, or buy a jet ski.....

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Mar 24, 14 9:31 am    Get him on the water Reply with quote

Pete,

First, you live close to one of the best spots in US that I know of to teach an learn from.
Belmont shore has a giant beach, plenty of space downwind, consistent mild onshore wind, no major waves / surf thanks to the Long Beach breakwater...

Bottom line: one of the safest places that I can think of to learn in the water (as long as he is quite confortable in the water)

My recommendations for next steps:
Step 0: review safety procedure (depower, QR1, QR2, etc...)
Step 1: Bodydragging in the water (master upwind body dragging)
Step 2: Self Rescue.
Step 3: Get on him on the board on the water.

Attach is a quick video of my son (13 at the time) learning to ride (Step 3) after successfully completed Step 0 and 1. (We skipped 2 but would be a good idea for this new season)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=001qOMM8Nok

I look forward to coming soon to Belmont. My best friend is taking lessons there right now.

Cheers,
Serge

Last edited by sromano1995 on Mon Mar 24, 14 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Mar 24, 14 9:37 am     Reply with quote

BTW, here is how I am warming up my kids (8 and 14 now) for the 2014 kite season!
Water is still too cold for them here in Oregon but in a couple of months, they will be ready to get in the water.

My little one is totally stoke after our session last Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xav89tPZsFE

keithvoncoyote

Since 13 May 2011
49 Posts
The Gorge

PostMon Mar 24, 14 11:56 am     Reply with quote

When I was learning, the river was super high and while waiting for it to go down to take a lesson I took the trainer kite and a long board to a big empty parking lot. Started doing this when the trainer kite had become very boring and was having a hard time waiting to get in the water.

I was able to ride up wind and it was a great way to learn that, got to the point where we could ride figure eights around the parking lot. That and its fun! I recommend knee pads, gloves, helmet... If you can find a small foil kite with depower it would really be the best.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostMon Mar 24, 14 12:14 pm    Southern California / Belmont Shore Reply with quote

Just a warning that Belmont Shores gets really busy early in the afternoon, There are specific rules about launching in defined area, and tricks and transitions outside the swim area. Lifeguards have announced they will start ticketing offenders. Join the Belmont Kite Friends Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/167699799923802/

Late afternoon and everyone clears out and you can get a great session in with the setting sun. Weird.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Mar 24, 14 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like he is ready but the one thing I am not sure you mentioned is water experience handling stress.
IMHO you want to be 100% confident getting pummeled in the water before you start getting pummeled with strings attached.
My guess is in your location he has been swimming in the ocean and surfing or bodyboarding enough to take waves on the head or swim in current without getting flustered or tiring too quickly.
It's valuable to learn just when you are getting tired, "when to say when," while in the water dealing with situations of different levels of complexity, knowing you have to budget energy to get to safety as well as face any immediate problem.

Also, trying wakeboarding just one or two sessions would be worth it for learning the start and managing the pull and edge control. My early sessions on a twintip were night and day apart after I learned wakeboarding, which took about 2 hours.

Just my opinions though, you are the best judge of what he will be able to handle.

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Mar 24, 14 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

I agree sk8/landboarding is a good option. Since most of us don't have a boat, what about the idea of tying a bar with short lines to the adult's harness. The adult can steer the kite, the "student" can practice body dragging, harness quick release, and maybe even getting up on the board without having to worry about steering the kite.
For board choices I've always favored strapless; skimboards, wakesk8, surfboard, longboards. Getting up on a <8' longboard is probably the easiest. SUPs are more difficult due to the lack on a decent edge on the rail. If you had a SUP, you could probably let him fly the kite and you use your paddle as a rudder.
For kite size, if he isn't comfortable looping the kite, go smaller.
Agree kite skills are key, have him keep body dragging / self rescuing solo until he is bored, before bringing the board into the equation.
Highly recommend pfd, helmet, and wetsuit.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostMon Mar 24, 14 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

One of my favorite videos but check out the 2:00 minute mark for some ideas Wink

http://vimeo.com/73004827

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
834 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Mar 24, 14 2:35 pm     Reply with quote

sromano1995 wrote:
BTW, here is how I am warming up my kids (8 and 14 now) for the 2014 kite season!
Water is still too cold for them here in Oregon but in a couple of months, they will be ready to get in the water.

My little one is totally stoke after our session last Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xav89tPZsFE

Do you mind sharing with me the weight of your kids, and the kite size you are using during which wind speeds? Having a hard time trying to figure out what size kite my kid will need to get himself up and riding in our typical wind conditions here (15-17mph). He will be riding a 137 twin tip.

Thanks,

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Apr 01, 14 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

My oldest son is about 105lbs. I have use my 6 and 8 m and I have never put him in more than 20 mph conditions.
At Belmont, I would start with the 6m and work up from there.
Right now, I am actually looking for a 4 m for my little one. On the video he was flying the 6 m in 10-12 mph wind but I would not have put on the water with that kite.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 01, 14 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

Serge
You can get a used 2012 3 m Prodigy at windance for $225.00

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: