Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Los Cabos rental car ins?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostMon Mar 17, 14 1:37 pm    Los Cabos rental car ins? Reply with quote

what is the rental car insurance in Los Cabos arport rental car companies? got a strange deal for $25/week...! sounds too good to be true, I suspect they will make it up with ins...

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Mar 17, 14 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

yep, there is "mandatory" insurance that is very expensive.

if you are going to Los Barriles you can get a much better deal if you get the rental in town instead of the airport. Share a ride or take the bus if you are not bringing much stuff with you. Probably the same in La Ventana but i am not sure about the details there.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Mar 17, 14 2:16 pm     Reply with quote

Cactus Car Rental quotes you the price of the vehicle that includes the mandatory insurance. The national rental agencies have a habit of combining the mandatory and optional insurances together and not giving you the choice. This sometimes makes the cost of insurance MORE than the cost of the rental itself.

I rented a a 4 door VW from them for 12 days total was $521.00

www.freeridekiting.com

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostMon Mar 17, 14 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

how do I get to LV from Los cabos, I wil lhave a backpack and a suitcase.

soona

Since 27 Sep 2009
72 Posts

PostMon Mar 17, 14 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

Subscribe to the Ventana View emails (sent a couple of times per week) by emailing her and asking to be put on the list.

Each Ventana View has lots of rides wanted and rides offered listings, as well as commercial or informal airport shuttles (plus lots of other great info - yoga, star observations, bands, gear sales, etc).

I'm not home and don't have the email addy handy - maybe someone else can post it, or just pm me.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Mar 17, 14 7:47 pm     Reply with quote

I got a mini suv for about $100/day and most of that is insurance. If you don't get the insurance, they will potentially screw you on all the "damage" you do to the car. If you are going to stay awhile, probably better to pay for a private long distance shuttle and get dropped off… or maybe ride share through ventana view like soona said.

soona

Since 27 Sep 2009
72 Posts

PostMon Mar 17, 14 8:41 pm     Reply with quote

"ventana.view" <ventana.view@gmail.com>

Ask to be put on the mailing list, there are lots of ride shares available from Los Cabos airport to LV.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 18, 14 7:07 am     Reply with quote

The deductible is typically 10% - 15% of the car value. Ouch! I found out the hard way. Not my fault.?

Dave-o-matic

Since 26 Sep 2013
12 Posts
hood river

PostSat Mar 29, 14 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

i got a midsized car for $6/day on kayak.com from FOX rentals. right at the Cabo airport. The cheapest insurance plan they had when i went to pick it up was $25/day.

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostWed Apr 02, 14 10:54 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I ended up sharing a ride to LV for $60 each for 3 people (good deal). Then going back got a ride for myself for $90 (good deal), just to give you an idea of the rates.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Apr 02, 14 11:13 am     Reply with quote

For future reference:

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do?intlink=premiumprotecthub_browsepromos_pcrpmonitoring&intlink=us-CCSG-NAC-CarRental-LearnMore

But this plan covers enrollees for cars rented anywhere in the world except Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand or in any instance that would be in violation of U.S. economic or trade sanctions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

runaway

Since 31 Aug 2010
66 Posts
Anchorage

PostSat Apr 05, 14 1:28 pm    insurance thoughts Reply with quote

I reserved FOX... then was being offered/talking with agent a better total price as I walked from Terminal. So I just offered $26 a day total and they accepted. was a decent little Nissan 4dr. try offering a "total price" and if they say no say you want to check other agency. reservation cost nothing

also check this if you have AMEX. I used it but they never ran the AMEX card. so who would be at fault? I explicitly asked the agent to run the card right then. https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do?intlink=premiumprotecthub_browsepromos_pcrpmonitoring&intlink=us-CCSG-NAC-CarRental-LearnMore

rexsfour

Since 19 Aug 2011
14 Posts
Tacoma

PostThu Apr 10, 14 2:51 pm     Reply with quote

It's the same in Costa Rica. I rented a mini car through priceline and got their insurance. When I got to the budget care rental counter they said my priceline insurance was nice but I need their insurance or to give them a refundable 3k. I got budgets insurance also and still hand to give them 1k on a credit card. I thought the car would be $200 but ended up costing $400ish for a week. I'm buying a motorcycle next time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: