Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

light wind, or lighter wind kites
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jan 31, 14 10:30 am    Re: Lite Wind board Reply with quote

KCM wrote:
Good Stuff Guys....I just picked up a 14M Blade Trigger with the hope I can do more 'lawn mowing' out of the light Wind area of Woodland. I'm pretty green and have lots of questions regarding a lighter wind board for my 165lb frame. (Is it advisable to put straps on a Wakeboard?) Any feedback will be appreciated.

when i started to look at moving away from the board I learned i thought this link was useful
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv4hdE4Qk7c]

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jan 31, 14 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

For pure bang for buck you would be hard pressed to beat the version one cloud 17.
I ordered one of the first last year, and don't regret it. $1100 and it got me (180lbs-ish) going before everyone except a light guy on a 21m flysurfer speed ($2-3,000).
Cloud also fits in a bag the size of a pillow case with room to spare, and is super light at 3.2 kg for old bridle, ~3.0kg with the modified bridle.
That said its top end is about 15 knots for riders <200lbs.
With the new bridle it is still fun in 15, better than with the original bridle, but definitely not in 20.
The turning is really fast and the drift is magic.
It does luff like a boat sail and flap when sheeted way out.
This is annoying when riding butter overpowered, in waves, you won't care, just be amazed at the perfect drift. Relaunch and stability in super light wind are superior to zephyr (through 2011) imo. I think new zephyrs are supposed to relaunch better but haven't tried one.
It is a different beast though, some people dislike it.
If you want to save $, give it a try. Or even try the new cloud version 2 out soon, it will still be under competitors' prices. Although it is a bit annoying they felt the need to jack prices by 35% across the board on the new models.
But if your priority is a kite that stays smooth and easy to ride when the wind fills in to 18-20, go for the zephyr or turbine. I had a session last summer with my cloud, a zephyr and a turbine. All were great from about 9-15kn, edge to the cloud <10, to the others >15.
Hope I don't ruffle feathers mentioning 3 kites in one post here Shocked

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat Feb 01, 14 10:03 am    North Dyno Reply with quote

I don't have experience with any of the kites mentioned but tried a North Dyno once. The kite is designed for racing and light wind and I can't say much more than that because at the time I was shopping for a light-wind-specific 15ish kite and got to try it briefly, a front moved through and I ended up on my 9m. (This was in Alameda, CA, two summers ago).

http://www.northkites.com/products/kites/dyno

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Feb 02, 14 8:57 pm     Reply with quote

bwd wrote:
For pure bang for buck you would be hard pressed to beat the version one cloud 17.
I ordered one of the first last year, and don't regret it. $1100 and it got me (180lbs-ish) going before everyone except a light guy on a 21m flysurfer speed ($2-3,000).
Cloud also fits in a bag the size of a pillow case with room to spare, and is super light at 3.2 kg for old bridle, ~3.0kg with the modified bridle.
That said its top end is about 15 knots for riders <200lbs.
With the new bridle it is still fun in 15, better than with the original bridle, but definitely not in 20.
The turning is really fast and the drift is magic.
It does luff like a boat sail and flap when sheeted way out.
This is annoying when riding butter overpowered, in waves, you won't care, just be amazed at the perfect drift. Relaunch and stability in super light wind are superior to zephyr (through 2011) imo. I think new zephyrs are supposed to relaunch better but haven't tried one.
It is a different beast though, some people dislike it.
If you want to save $, give it a try. Or even try the new cloud version 2 out soon, it will still be under competitors' prices. Although it is a bit annoying they felt the need to jack prices by 35% across the board on the new models.
But if your priority is a kite that stays smooth and easy to ride when the wind fills in to 18-20, go for the zephyr or turbine. I had a session last summer with my cloud, a zephyr and a turbine. All were great from about 9-15kn, edge to the cloud <10, to the others >15.
Hope I don't ruffle feathers mentioning 3 kites in one post here Shocked

bwd, thanks for the rview of the cloud. Do you have to specify that you want the new bridle when ordering a type 1 or is it something you order seperately? cheers

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Feb 03, 14 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Just read this page:
http://www.boardridingmaui.com/order.html

wakemoto

Since 16 Apr 2012
6 Posts

Kook

PostMon Feb 03, 14 7:55 pm     Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity Stringy i know you have had just a little time with the version 2 compared to the version 1 cloud's but do you think the new bridle could possibly be worth an extra 400$? if not im plan on putting my order in asap.

Thanks

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 03, 14 9:05 pm     Reply with quote

wakemoto wrote:
Just out of curiosity Stringy i know you have had just a little time with the version 2 compared to the version 1 cloud's but do you think the new bridle could possibly be worth an extra 400$? if not im plan on putting my order in asap.

Thanks

I think the cloud 2 was designed for the new bridle where the cloud gen 1 is a modification.
I've ridden the cloud with the new bridle a couple of times and its fine so far. I did keep all my parts that were leftover, so I can go back to the original setup if I choose.
The big difference is gen 2 cloud has been refined with smaller LE than gen 1.
honestly if its a $400 difference, get the gen 1 and you can always do the retrofit. it's simple and takes less than an hour. you use the same bridle components that it comes with. I would suggest you fly it with the original bridle and then do the change so you can feel how different the modification is.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Feb 03, 14 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

Not stringy but....
The new C2 version appears to have a seven segment no pulley bridle.
I think Greg said the C2 LE diameter and canopy shape have changed too.
Versus the conversion of the original bridle to a 4 segment no pulley which leans on the relatively large LE tube for stability.
The "new bridle" for C1 is a user mod for the 13 and 17m sizes only, detailed on the BRM website. I tried it, think it is an improvement, a little tweak to an already good kite.
Like a better intake or freeflow exhaust, not a turbo.
On the new C2, more even bridle support = less need for big LE tube.
Therefore an extra $400. Twisted Evil
Less is more.
Boy do I wish the prices had not shot up so much.
Cheap, feeling poor, not digging the 35 F water...
ahh, February.

wakemoto

Since 16 Apr 2012
6 Posts

Kook

PostMon Feb 03, 14 10:35 pm     Reply with quote

awesome thanks for the advice.... i am half tempted to buy the cloud 2 since Its always nice to have the best setup, but if everyone still loves the original cloud so much before this update then id rather just spend that 400 on a new board instead. Unless anyone else convinces me otherwise lol.

UPDATE: Scratch all of that i couldn't resist and ive been on the road working for to long. just pulled the trigger. bought the C1 17m and will prob build an alaia if i ever have time or buy a premade; suggestions for that? . Laughing

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Feb 04, 14 11:13 am     Reply with quote

Looks like Naish is hopping on the no-strut wagon...

http://naishkites.com/TRIP-Travel-Freeride-Wave/

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Feb 04, 14 11:19 am     Reply with quote

Mine's 5'7" x 18.25" 4.25" nose rocker ~1.5" tail, 12" wide at the very back end.
Standard 3x6oz eglass/epoxy top and bottom, urethane rails, cedar core, 1/2" thick in middle, core tapers to maybe 3/16 tail 1/8 nose. For me good all rounder but I'd bump it out 1/2-1" wider for better low end, and shorten the tail taper for stronger pop. If I weighed 165 it would be a more perfect fit. It does ride like a magic carpet in chop though.
Fun in chop and small waves, especially with a small fuel, the slashing turns complement the explosive pull. Good with cloud too naturally.
I like alaias but for me it makes a for better, more versatile ride to give the outline some subtle hips and add fins and rocker.
To give credit where due, it was directly inspired by the BRM paipo and some kind advice from Greg. Something similar can be achieved by taking a surfboard rocker and duplicating it from center forwards, and halving it from center back. Good candidates are "hybrid shortboard" rockers, outlines drawing parallel rails and nose area from alaia and simmons families, a little modern sim or nugget influence in the rear to help carve and keep the hammer down in chop. Or so it seems to me...

KCM

Since 30 Jun 2013
53 Posts
Woodland WA.

PostWed Feb 05, 14 12:50 am     Reply with quote

bwd, as previously stated, I'm not a board aficionado, but that board of yours should have you name inscribed on a platinum placard....very nice indeed!

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Feb 05, 14 11:02 am     Reply with quote

If I were to get a lightwind kite, it would be all about the relaunch. Too many kite spots have wind shadows near the launch and I'm not big on swimming with kites. Kites that pull like a truck are a dime a dozen.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 05, 14 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

caps wrote:
If I were to get a lightwind kite, it would be all about the relaunch. Too many kite spots have wind shadows near the launch and I'm not big on swimming with kites. Kites that pull like a truck are a dime a dozen.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

Link

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostWed Feb 05, 14 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:

nope, doesn't count.

he's standing on land.

let's see it when he's floating. in the middle of the river. without his board. and his friends are riding by spraying him.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Feb 05, 14 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:

let's see it when he's floating. in the middle of the river. without his board. and his friends are riding by spraying him.

That never happens. LOL!!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 05, 14 6:10 pm     Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:
Nak wrote:

nope, doesn't count.

he's standing on land.

Actually, on Westerlies that would improve your relaunch. I specifically didn't back up in this video because I didn't want to help the kite at all with extra speed. Floating in the river you'd add a knot or two to the relaunch. The wind in this video was between 3 and 4.5 knots. As the wind dropped below 4 down to 3, the kite wouldn't stay in the air. Notice though, that it's a nice controlled fall, not just collapsing and spinning or whatever. What's nice about this kite is that if you have the wind to fly the kite, you can relaunch it. If it won't relaunch, there isn't enough wind for it to fly anyway. It does take a bit of technique to relaunch it in these ultra light winds, but not too hard once you've learned how.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: