Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Beginner Kite: Bow vs. Traditional
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
BizzyLizzy

Since 08 Jan 2006
15 Posts
PDX via Ashland, soon Amer Samoa

PostThu Nov 23, 06 5:21 pm    Beginner Kite: Bow vs. Traditional Reply with quote

Ok, you guys are so great at giving advice I have to turn to you again!

I'm getting different opinions from shop owners for a beginner kite; re: which type of kite to buy, the new bows (pro-easy to ride, con-safety issues? and $$$) or the traditional kites (pro-safety? and price, cons-not as easy to ride).

What do you all think?

Can anyone explain the safety issue to someone who doesn't yet speak "kite"?

Much gratitude!
Lizzy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Nov 23, 06 6:01 pm     Reply with quote

Bow/flat/sle - whatever you want to call it, its definitely the way things are going for the beginner/intermediate crowd.

There will always be what-if scenarios safety wise for any type of kite, just make sure you go through proper instruction and have the knowledge and know-how to make good decisions at the beach and on the water

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostFri Nov 24, 06 8:14 am     Reply with quote

bizzlizz,

whats up? are in ashland? there are some other kiters here in the rogue valley, lemme know what youre doing in the near future. i go kiting A LOT.....and always looking for future rippers.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostFri Nov 24, 06 9:13 am    you will buy Reply with quote

every one will be selling what is still left on the shelves this time of year ,,
Waroo's are cheap and will last you for a while ,but you will need somebody that is in to them to teach you about them and that's going to be hard to find this time of year ,
Don't buy old kites they are too hard to learn on a 7 and a 12 would be good for the South Pacific lighter winds and occasional higher winds
I like my 7 down to about 17 mph and the 12 for most else lighter wind
I don't use my 9 much
but do use the 5 a lot

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Nov 26, 06 12:38 pm     Reply with quote

Kiting in general is hard to figure out without an experienced hand to help out. That is the main thing, re:less of which kite.

The SLE's are a little harder to tune right but a lot easier to ride upwind and learn on. The SLE's have more moving parts, and in theory this means more that can go wrong. The reality is the depower gives you more control and as a result you're probably safer. (Of course if you use the depower as an excuse to buy fewer kites and ride more overpowered, then all bets are off).

Anyone who is pushing a C kite on a newbie is doing them a disservice, and probably trying to unload some gear.

(this is all one man's opinion...).

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostSun Nov 26, 06 2:30 pm    stick with what works. Reply with quote

i think C kites are just as safe with 5 lines and the technologic years of shaping profile and what not.
bow kites flutter like there ready to burst at the seams, pully's snag lines, and when it is'nt set-up right, they invert.
you kite designers reading this need to come up with a LEI foil kite, and i'll be your test pilot. Cool

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSun Nov 26, 06 6:58 pm    Re: stick with what works. Reply with quote

Sol-flyer wrote:
i think C kites are just as safe with 5 lines and the technologic years of shaping profile and what not.
bow kites flutter like there ready to burst at the seams, pully's snag lines, and when it is'nt set-up right, they invert.
you kite designers reading this need to come up with a LEI foil kite, and i'll be your test pilot. Cool
WATCH OUT THE WAROO CLUB WILL COME OUT AND BASH YOUR OPINION. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ..THINGS TEND TO GET ONE SIDED Evil or Very Mad ..MAYBE WE SHOULD ALL JUST RIDE THE 2 LINE WIPIKA CLASSICS..THE ONLY KITE THAT WAS AVAIL. WHEN I STARTED THEN THERE WONT BE SUCH A SEGREGATION AND WE CAN ALL JUST GET ALONG Laughing Laughing Laughing TROLL

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Nov 27, 06 12:57 pm    Re: stick with what works. Reply with quote

Sol-flyer wrote:

Maybe so (except you have to unhook/emergency release in either case for 100% depower), and even though I'm still on Fuels, as pjc said, a beginner will have waaay more control on an SLE kite.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Nov 27, 06 2:21 pm     Reply with quote

river troll man - you can love, love, love your c kite all you want and get no hassles from me. fly it, love it, dance around above it....

all i'm saying is for a newbie, whose got enough $$ to hook up with a quiver of SLEs, you're giving some bad advice by pushing them to c kites. it's gonna be a lot easier to learn with an off-switch....

but hey, maybe we can all agree - pay for some real lessons, and get your instructor to let you try both. that way you can make up your own mind and stay out of the hospital all in one swell foop.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostMon Nov 27, 06 8:23 pm     Reply with quote

pjc wrote:
river troll man - you can love, love, love your c kite all you want and get no hassles from me. fly it, love it, dance around above it....

all i'm saying is for a newbie, whose got enough $$ to hook up with a quiver of SLEs, you're giving some bad advice by pushing them to c kites. it's gonna be a lot easier to learn with an off-switch....

but hey, maybe we can all agree - pay for some real lessons, and get your instructor to let you try both. that way you can make up your own mind and stay out of the hospital all in one swell foop.
I AM NOT PUSHING ANYTHING ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT THE PERSON LEARNING HAS TO LEARN HOW TO FLY A KITE AND HAVE RESPECT FOR IT AND THE OTHERS AROUND , ..THE INNOCENT BY STANDER.. I HAVE SEEN BOTH STYLE OF KITES FALL OUT OF THE SKY SO THATS IT ....YES THERE IS A COMP. THAT UNDER CUTS EVERYONE ELSE ..I JUST KNOW THAT MY SS, IS A VERY DURABLE KITE AND HAVE FLOWN THEM FOR YEARS NOW...THE OTHER POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE IS THAT N.W.HIKE IS CONSTANTLY PROMOTING A CERTAIN BRAND AND IT IS VERY ONE SIDED....SEENS HOW IT,S A BIG WORLD OUT THERE ...LET THE PERSON PICK FOR THEM SELVES AND LEARN WITH PROPER TRAINING AND MAYBE THEY WILL BE ALIVE NEXT YEAR .....AND NOT HAVE BROUGHT ANY HARM TO ANYONE ELSE WHILE IN THE LEARNING PROCESS Twisted Evil Twisted Evil BY THE WAY I DO LIKE DOING THE WHOOPASS DANCE AROUND MY C KITE CAUSE IT FUCKIN KICKS ASS Exclamation Exclamation Twisted Evil Twisted Evil TROLL OUT Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon Nov 27, 06 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

....after you learn to really fly a kite, sle, bow, or c, then you will learn to appreciate the river trolls passion for his kite and the enthusiasm of his type and capitolisation. Its that good, really. you may want to get the things accomplished in life because once you learn your attention will be stolen to the mistress winds and some TASTEY waves bro. Wink Wink

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Nov 27, 06 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

Troll you need a noogie. You're right that the site is promoting one brand right now, it's Slingshot (party sponsor.)

Anyway brands are not the question, its the type of kite. Slingshot has got bow/sle kite offerings as well, like every other brand right now.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostMon Nov 27, 06 9:06 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Troll you need a noogie. You're right that the site is promoting one brand right now, it's Slingshot (party sponsor.)

Anyway brands are not the question, its the type of kite. Slingshot has got bow/sle kite offerings as well, like every other brand right now.
NICE TRY Twisted Evil Twisted Evil THATS A CONTEST ..IF IT WAS THE ----- YOU WOULD BE ALL OVER IT ,AND YOU KNOW IT Twisted Evil Twisted Evil DON,T TRY TO PULL A FAST ONE ... Laughing Laughing ..LOOK BACK AT THE POSTS THAT HAVE BEEN BROUGHT UP ABOUT -----..AND I WILL REST MY CASE RIGHT HERE.. NUCKLE HEAD Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil TROLL

grimperua

Since 04 Jul 2006
28 Posts

PostMon Nov 27, 06 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

Felt like I had to jump on here. I learned this summer. Based on all I had heard and read about bows I bought one, a turbo diesel then based on my experience learning and guidance from instructors I bought 2 Cs, Fuels. Truth is I like them both and they both have their pros and cons for learning and beyond. I actually think that Cs are easier for first learning. Relaunching with the 5th line seems easier, expecially in light wind. When I was first learning TD used to invert and sometimes twist up and I would have a hard time getting it back on the leading edge for relaunch. I still have this problem sometime. But, once you get up and are going the depower and range of bows is definitely easier to handle, expecially in gusts. I am much more hanging on for my life in gusts with Cs, but on a consistent day I love the stability and power of the C. I also just feel a little more safe with the 5th line.

Truth is they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Neither is perfect. But for my money if I were to buy a new kite I would probably get a Fuel and give them one more year to get the kinks totally worked out of the Link and Rebel.

BizzyLizzy

Since 08 Jan 2006
15 Posts
PDX via Ashland, soon Amer Samoa

PostTue Nov 28, 06 8:14 am    Now that's helpful! Reply with quote

Thanks, grimperua, this is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for.

And yes, lot's of lessons and demos would be ideal, but for me it's not an option so I'm trying to glean as much as I can from other's experience. Had I known I was going to be shipped off to the South Pacific earlier I would have figured out how to get to the Gorge this summer . . .

Luckily I think I'll be the only one in American Samoa kiteboarding so no one to hurt but myself (and hopefully that as little as possible).

What would be a good price for a used bow/SLE? Does anyone know? I'm seeing Cabrinha's (12m) complete for $1000-$1300

Again thanks!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Nov 28, 06 9:18 am     Reply with quote

Bizzy - at least one/two lessons is not ideal, its mandatory. Not sure if you have already... other than that sounds like your on the right track. Wherever your headed if its kiteable it shouldn't be too hard to hook up a lesson. At the very least you will want someone with experience helping you.

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 28, 06 10:03 am     Reply with quote

Enough of this fluffy advice. Go out and get yourself an old Naish R-5, fly it on 2 lines on dry land and almost kill yourself a few times. (am I alone here). After that go shopping for a kite, anything will seem great after that experience. North Vegas, North Rebel, 06 North Toro, doesn't matter-they are all good. Was that biased Philllip?(sinister laugh here). Buy something from Slingshot, Naish, North or, (if your desperate tee hee), Best......they are all good. C or Bow- you may sell it in a year anyway and you can learn easily on any kite that is targeted at a beginner-intermediate level. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: